Mo Alie-Cox and VCU Football

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Right now athletic departments are just trying to retain the sports that they currently field. W&M has seen some real turmoil (including the resignation of their AD) after cutting several programs. I love college football but I don't think it will ever happen at VCU. Maybe if the Skins training camp was donated to the school? Even then I doubt it. I'm hoping down the road for a men's lax team which might be more realistic.

Reactions: vcumad

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Interesting point about Alie-Cox serving as an ambassador for the creation of a Rams football squad
I assume that is your "interesting point" since it appears your site wrote the article. How much did you even research about the VCU Athletic Department before you came up with that "interesting point"?

Dec 16, 2013
Interesting point about Alie-Cox serving as an ambassador for the creation of a Rams football squad
Chuckling after reading this opinion piece
most schools lose big money playing college football beyond the P5
those that play at lower levels rely upon significant charges they assess students (student fees) - VCU without football already uses around $18 million of student fees to simply balance its athletic budget - schools with football outside P5 use a lot more - ODU is one such school
VCU's endowment is primarily restricted to the purpose of the gifts (scholarships, medical research and so on) from the donors and not unrestricted to use as pleased - and endowments only permit the income earned on such to be spent (some schools even spend less on an annual basis) -
VCU has studied the football question before on a few occasions over the past 30 years and reached a conclusion that it is not financially viable
Could it be studied again ? yeah but I doubt the conclusion changes
Liberty is exceptionally rich and an outlier - the amount of money they make from their online education offerings is mind boggling and a cash cow- visit their campus and see all the new buildings they have added (or expanded )in the past 10 years -many are sports facilities (they pay cash too for most of their projects and don't issue debt)

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
The issue is that the P5's are pulling away and dissolving their association with the NCAA and thus other teams in the NCAA. They have already done this with the creation of their "Championship" playoff gig.
If basketball were only 11-12 games a season, you would see the same thing in basketball. In order to challenge the 30 game season, the P5's have grown their numbers in their conference and thereby limited their exposure to non-p5 teams as well as having P5 vs P5 OOC interconference challenge games.

P5 fans may love and relish this but I think it is destroying amateur college sports. Just like I feel the Olympics have been destroyed with the inclusion of professional athletes. Those specific events are no longer fun to watch IMO. I don't find it at all fun at all to watch an NBA all-star team take down the Indonesian national team with a score of something like 150-32.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Chuckling after reading this opinion piece
most schools lose big money playing college football beyond the P5
those that play at lower levels rely upon significant charges they assess students (student fees) - VCU without football already uses around $18 million of student fees to simply balance its athletic budget - schools with football outside P5 use a lot more - ODU is one such school
VCU's endowment is primarily restricted to the purpose of the gifts (scholarships, medical research and so on) from the donors and not unrestricted to use as pleased - and endowments only permit the income earned on such to be spent (some schools even spend less on an annual basis) -
VCU has studied the football question before on a few occasions over the past 30 years and reached a conclusion that it is not financially viable
Could it be studied again ? yeah but I doubt the conclusion changes
Liberty is exceptionally rich and an outlier - the amount of money they make from their online education offerings is mind boggling and a cash cow- visit their campus and see all the new buildings they have added (or expanded )in the past 10 years -many are sports facilities (they pay cash too for most of their projects and don't issue debt)
Football is becoming less viable financially even for many of those schools in the P5 conferences. In the early days of the CAA you could have made an argument for football at VCU at that level, but even then there would have been enormous hurdles. Even if we had the facilities for it we can't fund the program on the backs of our students. We would also have to downgrade our conference affiliation from a basketball standpoint to play football at the highest level.

Reactions: share the ball

MemTGRS

Top Member
Apr 27, 2009
Just like I feel the Olympics have been destroyed with the inclusion of professional athletes. Those specific events are no longer fun to watch IMO.
Please take a bow after this quote. I have zero (really subzero) interest in the Olympics since that happened.

The icing is the extortion used to secure the games. A big time hammer put on the taxpayers to build billions of structure for just a whopping total of 2½ weeks. It is mind boggling to see the abandoned venues ALL per the IOC mandate that everything be brand new.

It has been refreshing to see that most people have figured about the whole pyramid scheme that the Olympics truly have become. And the IOC is now only fielding one or two qualifying bids and selecting cities more/less via default.

Mar 2, 2014
Please take a bow after this quote. I have zero (really subzero) interest in the Olympics since that happened.

The icing is the extortion used to secure the games. A big time hammer put on the taxpayers to build billions of structure for just a whopping total of 2½ weeks. It is mind boggling to see the abandoned venues ALL per the IOC mandate that everything be brand new.

It has been refreshing to see that most people have figured about the whole pyramid scheme that the Olympics truly have become. And the IOC is now only fielding one or two qualifying bids and selecting cities more/less via default.
Would Memphis try to go P5 if they got an invite?