More VCU press from The Athletic

Jan 18, 2014
Congrats! I know people have to figure out what they can afford and what they can't, but personally I felt that 4 dollars a month was well worth it for the Athletic! They have a lot of good reporters, and I am a sports fan beyond the Rams! Uh oh did I just commit a sports foul! Go RAMS!
Thanks! It is WELL worth it! From what I can tell, especially the most recent article written by Brennan, these aren't just basic 2-3 small paragraph write ups either. His article was like reading a darn essay on VCU bball, I loved it!

Reactions: RAM7889

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
"Final Verdict:

VCU probably isn’t going to have the No. 2 non-conference schedule in the country again this season thanks to a couple of particularly manageable games. Still, most of the Rams’ opponents are shrewd choices.

With the likes of Marcus Evans, De’Riante Jenkins and Issac Vann back as seniors, VCU is tough, deep and experienced, especially in the backcourt. The Rams shouldn’t have to sweat it come Selection Sunday, but if they do, their non-conference schedule is unlikely to cause them any consternation with the tournament committee.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Also, from Eamonn:

"Aside from Gonzaga, what mid-major teams do you have on your radar? — Joel Y.

Saint Mary’s, for starters. Obvious, but the Gaels will be a year older and a year tougher, and will provide their usually viable — if not exactly terrifying — threat to the Zags out in the WCC. Does VCU count? Because VCU. Davidson too, actually. The Atlantic 10 is going to be fun this season. Oh, and Utah State, too. Sam Merrill — one of the best mid-major players in the country — will return to a team that finished ranked No. 25 in both the AP and coaches’ polls, and that earned a No. 8 seed in the 2019 tournament bracket."

You have to love that the premier source for thoughtful sports journalism is covering VCU in this kind of depth, with this kind of regularity. Subscription is easy money (and yes, I am pimping for them because I want them to last and I am grateful for the coverage)

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Also, from Eamonn:

"Aside from Gonzaga, what mid-major teams do you have on your radar? — Joel Y.

Saint Mary’s, for starters. Obvious, but the Gaels will be a year older and a year tougher, and will provide their usually viable — if not exactly terrifying — threat to the Zags out in the WCC. Does VCU count? Because VCU. Davidson too, actually. The Atlantic 10 is going to be fun this season. Oh, and Utah State, too. Sam Merrill — one of the best mid-major players in the country — will return to a team that finished ranked No. 25 in both the AP and coaches’ polls, and that earned a No. 8 seed in the 2019 tournament bracket."

You have to love that the premier source for thoughtful sports journalism is covering VCU in this kind of depth, with this kind of regularity. Subscription is easy money (and yes, I am pimping for them because I want them to last and I am grateful for the coverage)
Makes you wonder how much of this press is due to Mike Harris being on their staff.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I dunno. Eamonn Brennan’s vision casts a wide swath across the college basketball horizon. In my mind one of the finest sports journalists working today.
He just posted one more mailbag with VCU mentions.

How many bids do you see the A10 landing? — Sean C.
He says 3 bids isn't crazy and includes Dayton. Then he goes to the two he really believes in......One: VCU. Two: Davidson. VCU looks like the class of the conference by a fair margin and is showing up in more than a few top-25 lists in the preseason.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
What a brilliant piece of long-form sports reportage. Eamonn loves him some VCU, and the man can write. There are a few thousand more words to the article, but you'll have to pay the $30-40 a year The Athletic charges to read them:

When they arrived, Sheehy-Guiseppe became the target of Evans’ competitive furor. “He was extremely hard on me,” Sheehy-Guiseppe says. “It’s hard to gain his respect. He likes a lot of people, but he doesn’t respect a lot of people, and it’s a big difference with him. He’s a hard guy.” Over time, though, as Evans saw the breakneck fervor with which Sheehy-Guiseppe approached every workout, the star guard softened. Respect was gradually gained. By the summer of 2018, when Evans tore an Achilles tendon for the second time in a year, Sheehy-Guiseppe had become one of the few people Evans would confide in. The walk-on saw the constant frustration, the “dark days,” as Rhoades recalls them. Long stares at the calendar, the fear of the unknown: What if I’m not as good as I was? What if that’s it? He saw how lonely Evans felt.

He also saw the work the guard put in to get back in time for last season, the remarkable speed of his post-Achilles return timeline. He saw how much Evans played through soreness and pain, how limited he still was, how little he complained. Sheehy-Guiseppe also saw what it looked like when all of those physical fears and kinetic self-doubts began to fade. He saw the legs start to come back. He saw just how good Evans — now healthy, with his first summer of actual basketball in two years behind him, leading an experienced, defensively ferocious top-25 VCU team into this season — might be.

“People think he was healthy last year because he played,” Sheehy-Guiseppe says. “No. He was a fragment of what he will be.”

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
What a brilliant piece of long-form sports reportage. Eamonn loves him some VCU, and the man can write. There are a few thousand more words to the article, but you'll have to pay the $30-40 a year The Athletic charges to read them:

When they arrived, Sheehy-Guiseppe became the target of Evans’ competitive furor. “He was extremely hard on me,” Sheehy-Guiseppe says. “It’s hard to gain his respect. He likes a lot of people, but he doesn’t respect a lot of people, and it’s a big difference with him. He’s a hard guy.” Over time, though, as Evans saw the breakneck fervor with which Sheehy-Guiseppe approached every workout, the star guard softened. Respect was gradually gained. By the summer of 2018, when Evans tore an Achilles tendon for the second time in a year, Sheehy-Guiseppe had become one of the few people Evans would confide in. The walk-on saw the constant frustration, the “dark days,” as Rhoades recalls them. Long stares at the calendar, the fear of the unknown: What if I’m not as good as I was? What if that’s it? He saw how lonely Evans felt.

He also saw the work the guard put in to get back in time for last season, the remarkable speed of his post-Achilles return timeline. He saw how much Evans played through soreness and pain, how limited he still was, how little he complained. Sheehy-Guiseppe also saw what it looked like when all of those physical fears and kinetic self-doubts began to fade. He saw the legs start to come back. He saw just how good Evans — now healthy, with his first summer of actual basketball in two years behind him, leading an experienced, defensively ferocious top-25 VCU team into this season — might be.

“People think he was healthy last year because he played,” Sheehy-Guiseppe says. “No. He was a fragment of what he will be.”

Brilliant article!

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Dammit Mollen, you made me cough up the 35.99 to subscribe, but it was worth it. Reading that story made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. There is sports reporting, sports writing and sports journalism. This article definitely appears to be the last.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
FYI, I’ve discovered (though can’t confirm if still true until later) that if you have the iPad app, you can read up to 5 Athletic articles for free each month using their app.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
FYI, I’ve discovered (though can’t confirm if still true until later) that if you have the iPad app, you can read up to 5 Athletic articles for free each month using their app.
I have confirmed, at least for this article, that this is sadly NOT true.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Which mid- or low-major team wins at least two games in the NCAA Tournament?
Top result: VCU (seven)

Runner-up: Davidson (two)

Also receiving votes: Dayton; Harvard; Liberty; New Mexico State; Saint Mary’s; Utah State; Vermont (one each)

Notable: VCU has come pretty close to lifting itself out of mid-major territory with its success over the past several years. Could another big run be in store for the Rams, who bring back virtually everybody off a team that earned a No. 8 seed last March . . . . .

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Which mid- or low-major team wins at least two games in the NCAA Tournament?
Top result: VCU (seven)

Runner-up: Davidson (two)

Also receiving votes: Dayton; Harvard; Liberty; New Mexico State; Saint Mary’s; Utah State; Vermont (one each)

Notable: VCU has come pretty close to lifting itself out of mid-major territory with its success over the past several years. Could another big run be in store for the Rams, who bring back virtually everybody off a team that earned a No. 8 seed last March . . . . .

From your lips to the basketball gods' ears