Moses Malone RIP

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Man.... sorry to hear this. Makes some of us feel old. A former recruit of VCUs - probably came down to us and Lefty, ABA player initially (Utah Stars) and NBA superstar from Petersburg. Elite big man.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/moses-malone--hall-of-famer-and-basketball-legend--dies-at-60-151129764.html
Grew up being a huge Terp fan, before attending VCU. Remember the heartbreak in College Park when he went pro. Helluva player. Would have loved to see his game now. What a dominant big man. Him and Chocolate Thunder dying in the past few weeks. Both still relatively young. Hate it.

Reactions: Mike T and RamBo

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I remember hearing of Petersburg having a fantastic basketball team and going unbeaten and really unchallenged to the state championship. Later I found out the leader of that great team was a guy named Moses Malone. It came down to Maryland, VCU and the pro's. Moses chose the pro's. He was ready, why not. I wish I had seen him play in high school. That would have been a treat. What a great player he turned into! I know little of him personally, but on the court his heart was even bigger than his body. Comfort and blessings to his friends and family.

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Heard Lefty put up an assistant in a Petersburg motel for months upon months to woe Malone to College Park. I'm an ABA fan so I guess I can enjoy that he contributed to that unique history as well.

Reactions: Ramlove81

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Saw him play the Va state championship game in Charlottesville and ate dinner that night in the same restaurant. He was a man playing with boys. RIP Moses. Anyone know cause of death?

Reactions: RamBo

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Saw him play the Va state championship game in Charlottesville and ate dinner that night in the same restaurant. He was a man playing with boys. RIP Moses. Anyone know cause of death?
I remember watching Moses and John S running the Jazz like a machine. I had the pleasure of meeting him personally at his restaurant. Super humble and nice guy. Can't believe he's gone at such a young age. What a rock of a man. I'm sad.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
I remember watching Moses and John S running the Jazz like a machine. I had the pleasure of meeting him personally at his restaurant. Super humble and nice guy. Can't believe he's gone at such a young age. What a rock of a man. I'm sad.
Are you getting Karl and Moses mixed up? I don't remember Moses playing for the Jazz.