Players Most Fun to Watch

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Because there is a dearth of news about VCU basketball and because we are all jonesin’ to talk about something I thought about who is my favorite player to watch.

West End Ed has ruined polls on here for me so could we just make this a discussion? However feel free to use the gfy option when posting on this thread.

I will start by saying that Marcus Evans is so valuable to this team that my heart is in my throat every time he drives the lane. It is almost no fun to watch him play because without him we are lost.

When Deriante Jenkins has the ball on a fast break I immediately slide to the edge of my seat. Not like Kendrick because when Super K used to lead a break everyone would stand and yell “showtime!” However when Deri leads the break he is so graceful and quick that whatever happens is gonna be interesting.

Vince Williams is a ton of fun when playing because of his hustle and enthusiasm. Too bad the NCAA doesn’t have a stat for flops, because Vince would be right up there in that category.

Anyway I would like to hear some of your comments as to who and why is the most fun player to watch.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Small doses, but Keshawn never provided a dull moment last year. If he made it on the floor, SOMETHING was going to happen.

Watching Evans and IV shut people down on defense, or Vince piss people off, or DJ step into a 3 off a catch on the wing is fun, but I really like seeing MSS just flat out-hustle people. He doesn't back down, doesn't quit, and keeps coming. Sounds like VCU basketball to me.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
While VCU is obviously known for its long list of stellar point guards, I love nothing more than a 6’6”/6’7” guy with some muscle that can do a little bit of everything. Graham and Burgess come to mind.

Point being, if Vince Williams adds a few pounds and maintains quickness and intensity, watch the eff out. I have a feeling this dude is gonna be all of our favorites in the very near future.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
Well shoot, I seem to agree with all of the above... but I guess I'll toss in a vote for seeing Corey Douglas' blocks emphatically destroying the hopes and dreams of opponents trying to score.
I remember seeing UR players faces after he tomahawk dunked in the game at the Stu. I kind of remember it happening after either the great Issac Vann slam or Vince Williams crossover baseline slam. It was like Douglas took their hearts with that dunk.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
It's easy for me to naturally lean toward those with whom I was able to become familiar through having seen them play live before they ever stepped foot on campus. A few have taken a long drive and sacrifice to make such an experience happen. But to my surprise many times I wasn't alone there, aligned with fellow fans and/or coaches, or former player sitting in for VCU staff in support of recruits or commits. It's such a nice feeling seeing that development from what you first experienced at lower levels. People in here and out there who have made similar efforts to make this happen understand where I'm coming from, it pays off in droves. Despite being fond of all our guys, for me it's Deri, hands down.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
It's easy for me to naturally lean toward those with whom I was able to become familiar through having seen them play live before they ever stepped foot on campus. A few have taken a long drive and sacrifice to make such an experience happen. But to my surprise many times I wasn't alone there, aligned with fellow fans and/or coaches, or former player sitting in for VCU staff in support of recruits or commits. It's such a nice feeling seeing that development from what you first experienced at lower levels. People in here and out there who have made similar efforts to make this happen understand where I'm coming from, it pays off in droves. Despite being fond of all our guys, for me it's Deri, hands down.
Well said and I am in total agreement.

Reactions: MobileMunchies
May 19, 2015
My favorite player to watch was the one that was having a stellar game night. It seemed like every game featured a breakout player and I just enjoyed watching that player being heralded by the fans as the star and hero for the night. Sometimes there was more than one, but the standout player may have been one that you least expected because of his inexperience with the team. Every player contributes to the win, but, sometimes, there is a standout player that keeps the motor running, particularly when the game looks like its about to slip away from us. I hope that every player experiences at least one night in their basketball career where they are the MVP of the game. I have difficulty picking a specific player as a favorite to watch because I do see the team as one, however, I have enjoyed watching MSS and Vince. I describe them as wolves in sheep's clothing because they are as genuinely nice and gentle on the outside but stone-cold killas on the inside!