Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Or, a freshman in his third game ever is lining up across from one of the better PGs (a literal man) and backcourts in the country during the last 2 mins of a nationally televised game that means the world to almost 8,000 lunatics in the gym and another 20,000 or so watching......a little tentativeness in that situation is understandable.

I’ll give Mike a tip of the cap for giving him the shot at that moment and Bones the nod for the otherwise solid performance. Tough time now will make for a tougher player later in the season.
Two things about Bones tonight that show me he's going to be really good. First, He is very hard to speed up and force bad decisions. The mistakes at the end tonight are typical freshmen mistakes. The rest of the game he was calm, confident, and in control of himself. Second. When they pressed, he beat it to score. Most freshmen pg's beat the press, get over the half court line and look to pass it. He went downhill and very calmly and smoothly laid it in. Towards the end of the season, you are going to see leads increase when he's in as opposed to just treading water until the starters come back.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
I am.beggining to think it's not necessarily the.player but the.type of coaching here. Maye, Byrd and now Hyland all show tentativeness with.the ball.

Maybe MR needs to simplify the sets for bones so he can react rather then think with the ball in his hands.

Simplify the play calling for bones so he can be aggressive with the basketball.
Putting Bones in the same category with those two is a poor observation. Those two were shaky with the ball up 20 against cupcake teams their whole freshman year with little to no improvement as the year went on. Bones has been very confident all year with the exception of those two possessions down the stretch. You must be watching something the rest of us aren’t seeing.

RamChris

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
DL said, "Like any decent pro football coach with a rookie quarterback, you simplify the playbook. "

Or, you teach by full immersion (like learning a new language), and pull him out when it gets over his head and coach him up. "Simplifying the playbook" pulls the team potential down. The rest of the guys know the playbook and need to use it. Bones is going to be great. It's just thrilling to know that he got a chance to play against top notch talent like that so early in his career here at VCU.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Bones was fearless against what will likely be a top-tier P5 opponent. He made some poor decisions at times, but he's a freshman. I think he's definitely a lot further along than Byrd and Maye were at this time in their careers.

Dec 2, 2012
Bones was fearless against what will likely be a top-tier P5 opponent. He made some poor decisions at times, but he's a freshman. I think he's definitely a lot further along than Byrd and Maye were at this time in their careers.
I think one of the biggest things for Bones is going to be putting on some meat.
Kid needs to bulk up a bit, which I'm pretty confident VCU strength coach is capable of doing.

Last edited:

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I am.beggining to think it's not necessarily the.player but the.type of coaching here. Maye, Byrd and now Hyland all show tentativeness with.the ball.

Maybe MR needs to simplify the sets for bones so he can react rather then think with the ball in his hands.

Simplify the play calling for bones so he can be aggressive with the basketball.
I don't think he looks anything like either of the other two you mentioned. No offense to the other two, but from a talent/athleticism standpoint they're not in Bones' league.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
No problem with giving him a shot but he needs to make the simplify the playbook for bones to flourish.
So you would change what we do as a team to accommodate the learning process of a freshman who's actually doing quite well? Glad you're not the coach.

Reactions: Ramdog