Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland

mglitos

Top Member
Insider
May 11, 2009
So you would change what we do as a team to accommodate the learning process of a freshman who's actually doing quite well? Glad you're not the coach.
The answer is no. There’s no such thing as simplifying the playbook. With Bones, it’s quite simple: he has to adjust to the fact that the things he could get away at the high school level are not passing muster now. That’s going to take some time and some holy crap what are you doing Bones moments.

Let’s be clear: Byrd and Maye are not on the same level as Bones. He can be a great one. But for now get comfy with the fact that he’s going to make the same knucklehead freshman plays. He just needs to learn and play through it.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The answer is no. There’s no such thing as simplifying the playbook. With Bones, it’s quite simple: he has to adjust to the fact that the things he could get away at the high school level are not passing muster now. That’s going to take some time and some holy crap what are you doing Bones moments.

Let’s be clear: Byrd and Maye are not on the same level as Bones. He can be a great one. But for now get comfy with the fact that he’s going to make the same knucklehead freshman plays. He just needs to learn and play through it.
Totally agree @mglitos. Bones is in a totally separate class level, talent wise, from Byrd and Maye. The kid is going to be very, very good, but he is still a freshman with only 3 D1 collegiate games under his belt. Rookies make mistakes, even if you are playing for Duke.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

Really? I dont see Roy William's telling Coby White.or Cole Anthony to do that. Certainly, Mike Rhoades didn't that with Marcus Evan's his freshman year at Rice.

@Wolfpack Ram is right, Bones is in whole.different class.

I would like MR give the kid the green light and look to get to the basket any time he sees an open path to the basket and dish if mecessary.

Simplify the playbook and let react rather than think about what his next move is.

Let him work thru his mistakes.

If he is our starting pg next year then let the second unit become HIS team. Let others learn to play off him.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
With all due respect, simplifying plays is not realistic. There's no such thing as simplifying plays in our style of hoops. You heard coach in the presser, they play fast and practice like you saw the other night, and imho Bones will catch up to us, and get stronger as he goes. He got a lil winded the other night and it affected him, once he learns to let loose a bit and play looser, it will be key in his longevity and effectiveness.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
This many games in its hard to say but I’m kinda seeing and looking forward to where 1st and 2nd team members are interchangeable.
Matchup based for sure but go for mixing as much as possible. Work it so the old teaches the new and carry it forward.
I can’t see anyone on the team wanting or asking for a back-down to play. Staff wants everyone to improve and get better so I don’t see them doing a back-down either.
way the heck to much talent, skill, drive, and ability here to not push. get all there is to get and learn all there is to learn.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I think one of the biggest things for Bones is going to be putting on some meat.
Kid needs to bulk up a bit, which I'm pretty confident VCU strength coach is capable of doing.
That’s a lot of words just to say:

“We need to put some meat on dem Bones!”

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Really? I dont see Roy William's telling Coby White.or Cole Anthony to do that. Certainly, Mike Rhoades didn't that with Marcus Evan's his freshman year at Rice.

@Wolfpack Ram is right, Bones is in whole.different class.

I would like MR give the kid the green light and look to get to the basket any time he sees an open path to the basket and dish if mecessary.

Simplify the playbook and let react rather than think about what his next move is.

Let him work thru his mistakes.

If he is our starting pg next year then let the second unit become HIS team. Let others learn to play off him.
First, as good as Bones is, Coby and Cole are different animals... especially Cole. He could probably start for close to half of the teams in the NBA today. He’s scored 82 points (34, 20, 28) in his first 3 college games and set the ACC record for the most points by a freshman in his debate. The ACC has had a few elite freshmen through the decades.

As for Evans, he wasn’t playing at the same level of college basketball at Rice. The competition was weaker. He didn’t have as many talented teammates to compete with for playing time. Plus, the expectations and the consequences for mistakes were lower. (And as good as Bones is, Evans was probably better at he same stage.)

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I spent a year at age 18 doing weight training instruction, diet creations for loss and gain. We had an entire floor of unique, patented weight machines, and the whole bottom floor was a huge free weight section. We did a full plan for them... weight gain diets for for certain people during times of intensive workout sessions can be beyond challenging. It was the Nautilus out by ridge/regency, there was a grocery store there right beside it which had a extensive bulk section with every nut and dried fruit you could imagine, we'd work out clients, then take them shoppng next door explaining what to buy, why and how to eat/prepare meals. The man who taught us, Carlos DeJesus, created rather crafty ways for us to see results, which did work for a LOT of those we worked with using a team approach with some who were especially difficult. While working there I went from 145 as a grad senior in HS to 192 in a matter of months. Everyone who worked there experimented on ourselves along the way. What we aimed at accomplishing most definitely worked with most. But there were always a select few who just weren't geared to put on weight, no matter what we did could not and would not work. There are experts at this kind of thing here, I foresee them being able to get the job done. Science has come a long way since the late 80s.