Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I like the fact that Mike played with Crowfield, Crowfield played PG at times which allowed Bones time to play off the ball.

Bones got all of his points in the flow of the offense. He didn't force anything.

Great game.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I think we witnessed today why "Bones" was ranked in the top 60 or so as a prospect. He really has a chance to be special. This was only his 4th college basketball game folks. He filled the stat sheet. The 4 assists and 0 TO's really jump-out. We are so much better at the PG position this year. That may end up being the difference maker.

Last edited:

RAM7889

Top Member
Insider
Apr 20, 2009
I think we witnessed today why "Bones" was ranked in the top 60 or so as a prospect. He really has a chance to be special. This was only his 4th college basketball game folks. He filled the stat sheet. The 4 assists and 0 TO's really jump-out. This is only his 4th college game folks. We are so much better at the PG position this year. That may end up being the difference maker.
He did not look like a rookie point guard today, He had a lot of confidence. He did not seem to force anything either. I thought his shot selection was very good for a Freshman with only 3 games played!

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
For those who are saying bones is better than marcus Evan's right now, look at this:

Bones's development has alot to do with marcus.
People are not actually saying that are they? Not just Marcus tho, All 5 of these seniors are about as selfless as they come it seems. Each of them are contributing way more than what they do on the court. Marcus is awesome

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
People are not actually saying that are they?
Yes. Go back and read yesterday's thread activity. Some posters have stated Bones is better PG than Marcus because he "has a better feel" for the game.

Bones has the benefit of having marcus and played an 0-4 team ranked #316 in defensively efficiency according to kenpom.

Marcus, in his first game ever at rice, dropped 18 pts in a top 25 Pac 12 Cal team with 5* Ivann Rabb and he didn't have on the court support like bones.

Big difference in competition.

Let's see what happens at the emerald coast classic before we make proclamations like that.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
VCU has not seen a passer like Bones in quite some time. Sunday, he was making passes even VCU's veteran players had not seen in their career at VCU. I think it's time for the other VCU players to sharpen up their receiving skills.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Yes. Go back and read yesterday's thread activity. Some posters have stated Bones is better PG than Marcus because he "has a better feel" for the game.

Bones has the benefit of having marcus and played an 0-4 team ranked #316 in defensively efficiency according to kenpom.

Marcus, in his first game ever at rice, dropped 18 pts in a top 25 Pac 12 Cal team with 5* Ivann Rabb and he didn't have on the court support like bones.

Big difference in competition.

Let's see what happens at the emerald coast classic before we make proclamations like that.
D-L..... Bones is a better P/G than Marcus Evans - right now. However, he is not the better * player * right now. Evans is a 5th year Senior. Bones is a true freshman. It is not even fair to compare the 2 yet, as ball players. But look at the stats. Evans is a Turnover Machine. He struggles with having to carry a burden offensively, and run the point. It is one of few weaknesses that this Team has. Bones, on the other hand, was born to be a Point Guard. Just because a 5th year Senior offers leadership, and on-court coaching to a true freshman, that does not mean he is a better point guard. When Vann coaches the kid up during a game, does that mean Vann is a better Point Guard? No. It doesn't.

Evans is more indispensable than Bones right now. Evans is the heart and soul of this Team, in many ways. And personally, I'm not only grateful that we have Marcus Evans on our Team, and that he has fought through injury and adversity, but I'm also grateful that he is willing to teach the under-classmen, and even more appreciative of the fact that he has taken on the burden of running point. Because we all knew he wasn't a true point guard, 3 years ago. Marcus has given up a bit of freedom, by taking this challenge on. But once again, it is my opinion that Bones is the better "PG" right now. Further, I am willing to bet that before too long, you are going to see some starting lineups with Evans shifting to the 2 - and Bones running point. Coach will need to see what Bones is capable of- running with the Starting 5 Horse-Power. The only negative there..... is that Vann would have to run at the 4 in those situations. But it's worth looking at.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Once again, you are comparing apples and oranges. This is about the * point guard * position. Everyone on the Planet knows that Evans can score. And we all know the guy is a flat-out STUD. It's not about that. It's about who the Point Guard might be. IMHO, Bones is the better PG option right now, and one of the reasons is because such a move might even make Evans more deadly and dangerous than he already is. Kind of like when Darth Vader struck down Obi Wan Kenobi. It made ole' Ben even more powerful.

Last Point: I'm not saying Bones should be the Starting PG for the rest of the Season, anyway. What I am saying is that I'd like to see what that looks like. I'm thinking he is the best P/G option we have right now. Ia'm also thinking I like Vann on the wing. I have been thinking Vince would eventually start at the 4 spot- once he is fully healthy and strong, and Simms is our Super-6 type. And that can't happen if Bones & Evans both start. So this is all just semantics at this point. Heck - We're winning right now, and I love it. Just conversation.

Last edited: