Nashville/Vanderbilt road trip thread (Wed, 11/17/21)

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
All fair points, at this point everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Luckily, even with the current spike, we are much better equipped to handle surges thanks to the vaccine.
The problem is that the two dominant versions of the virus we have experienced are , believe it or not, relatively benign (despite having killed almost 5 million people globally). The mortality rate of what we have experienced is fairly low; Epsilon or Zeta might double or triple Delta's lethality and be twice as transmissible. And until we reach critical mass in vaccinations, the virus will continue to mutate. We can (and I think eventually will) prevent that; the question is how many people will die before we get there

All fair points, at this point everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Luckily, even with the current spike, we are much better equipped to handle surges thanks to the vaccine.
We also need to take responsibility for our neighbors. I have never personally worried about it, but have been cautious to not be part of the problem. You are your brothers keeper as well. This “it’s a personal decision” mentality is making it so difficult. Unvaccinated people filling hospital beds is a public crisis. The 50-75K hospitalization is covered by society and we all pay for it.

I don’t know how we get a critical vacation rate. It’s in people’s head to resist. Conservative politics has devolved into Snake Cult. If a left of center public figure says everyone should learn to swim, it would be received as a threat or conspiracy, and they would resist like fanatics. They are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face, and relish the opportunity to obstruct.

At this point I just want the kids to get vaccinated. Then a variant wipes them out.

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Got my Vandy tickets today. Couple of notes to share.
  • Entry requires either a negative Covid test no more than 72 hours prior or proof of full vaccination.
Remember there gym is an old style gym with several quirks.
  • Teams will be seated on opposite baselines not along the sidelines
  • The first couple of rows are lower than the raised floor
  • My guess, total guess is the Tickets allotted to VCU will be in section F which is behind the team along the baseline
  • Not all seats are seats, some are bleachers
    • most of those are on the side with the band and the students
  • Some of the sections on the 2nd level that are chairs, have an obstructed view as in you can't see the center scoreboard( you can see the auxiliary corner scoreboards)
    • One former person who sat in one of those described it as looking at the game through a mail slot( That over hang is the suites
    • Garage parking is listed as first come first serve but you can buy a parking pass in advance for $5. I don't know if that guarantees you a spot 🤷‍♂️

Got my Vandy tickets today. Couple of notes to share.
  • Entry requires either a negative Covid test no more than 72 hours prior or proof of full vaccination.
Remember there gym is an old style gym with several quirks.
  • Teams will be seated on opposite baselines not along the sidelines
  • The first couple of rows are lower than the raised floor
  • My guess, total guess is the Tickets allotted to VCU will be in section F which is behind the team along the baseline
  • Not all seats are seats, some are bleachers
    • most of those are on the side with the band and the students
  • Some of the sections on the 2nd level that are chairs, have an obstructed view as in you can't see the center scoreboard( you can see the auxiliary corner scoreboards)
    • One former person who sat in one of those described it as looking at the game through a mail slot( That over hang is the suites
    • Garage parking is listed as first come first serve but you can buy a parking pass in advance for $5. I don't know if that guarantees you a spot 🤷‍♂️
Car travel time to Nashvillle?

onelasttime

Elite Member
The problem is that the two dominant versions of the virus we have experienced are , believe it or not, relatively benign (despite having killed almost 5 million people globally). The mortality rate of what we have experienced is fairly low; Epsilon or Zeta might double or triple Delta's lethality and be twice as transmissible. And until we reach critical mass in vaccinations, the virus will continue to mutate. We can (and I think eventually will) prevent that; the question is how many people will die before we get there
Even if it's true that a critical level of vaccination would completely snuff out mutation (which seems speculative) the problem is that the virus is global and there are always going to be large pockets of the world that are unvaccinated. Vaccinating some portion of the population in the US doesn't change the picture much. It hardly matters if the next big mutation comes from Angola or Alabama.

The efficaciousness of the vaccines is in preventing severe outcomes in people who receive it. Looking at Iceland, Singapore, and others, it doesn't seem like the vaccines will keep the virus from matriculating through the populace and becoming endemic.

It's also worth noting that coronaviruses have been circulating since forever (they are some of the viruses that the term "common cold" refers to) and we don't know any instances where they've mutated into something super lethal or transmissible. I'm pretty convinced that the reason covid has been more dangerous than the other coronaviruses is that it is a novel virus, rather than that it is objectively more dangerous. I expect it to essentially become more like the other coronaviruses over time.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Interesting. I assume novel meaning almost original? And I never thought the common cold was the flu. I always thought flus were 24-48 hours and colds were 2 weeks/14 days.

onelasttime

Elite Member
Interesting. I assume novel meaning almost original?

Yes, the significance being that the population doesn't already have immunity. With common colds, people are generally first exposed when they're young and then have some level of immunity in the rest of their life. Consider how much worse chickenpox is if you don't get it until adulthood.

I always thought flus were 24-48 hours and colds were 2 weeks/14 days.

I thought it was more like the opposite but I'm not sure I've ever had symptomatic flu in my life. Colds usually last 3-5 days for me.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I guess I could do a last minute trip. Not sure if it’ll be worth it.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Too bad it is mid-week. I have already planned how I am going to burn my time off the rest of the year.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

All diseases, viruses evolve to stay lethal in order to destroy. This is nature's way of controlling the world's population and maintaining balance.

The fact that this virus is mutating at a faster rate than we can come up with new vaccines just means it is here to stay and we cant outrun it.

What's more, if this virus doesnt us, another new type will..and if it's not virus then it will be heart disease, lung cancer, liver disease, stroke, MS, parkinson's, dementia..if not a disease..it could be starvation (9 million people per year!...or from stupidity....we have thousands of nuclear war heads pointed at each other, all it takes one idiot leader to make a rash decision, press a button, and life ends as we know it..

The point is that regardless of your vaccination status, you can't go around living your life in fear..Just do the best you can...welcome death when it comes for you.