NBC Sports A-10 Preview

May 3, 2012
I hadn't seen it, but, with this crowd, you could post it three times and it would still get replies.
Nice article, but doesn't say enough about us...it's always all about the VCU Rams.

Mar 23, 2012
Truth. But this part at the endof the article is noteworthy.

Predicted Finish

1. VCU: I believe in ‘Havoc’. VCU is really good at running their system, forcing turnovers and getting their opponents to play out of control. And the talent on the roster is good enough to succeed at this level.
2. St. Josephs’s: This is their year. They’ve had the talent, now they have the experience. Carl Jones, Langston Galloway and Halil Kanicevic deserved more of a mention in this preview.
3. Butler: With Hopkins on the roster, I think Butler would be up there with VCU as the best team in the league. But I’m not sold on Clarke being able to run the point. Losing Nored will hurt more than people believe as well.
4. St. Louis: They’d be No. 1 if Majerus was healthy. They’d be second if Kwamain Mitchell was. Tough breaks.
5. UMass: Williams is one of the most entertaining guards in the country, and this year he’ll have more help.
6. Temple: Temple as a lot of good wings and combo-forwards on their roster. I’m worried about the point guard spot as well as the post.
7. Dayton: Kevin Dillard is one of the most talented players in the league, but is there enough around him to push into the top six?
8. La Salle: The sleepers! The Atlantic 10 is so deep at the point guard spot that Tyreek Duren is criminally slept on.
9. Richmond: Chris Mooney is still in the rebuilding phase after losing Kevin Anderson and Justin Harper. He’ll get them there, but it won’t be this year.
10. Xavier: A talented freshman point guard leading unproven veterans? I’ll believe it when I see it.
11. Charlotte: Alan Major actually has a sneakily good roster at his disposal, headlined by an all-league caliber big man in Chris Braswell.
12. Rhode Island: Maybe my faith in the Hurleys is too strong, but I just don’t see a way they field a team that isn’t competitive.
13. George Washington: I think that Mike Lonergan will eventually turn GW into a competitive program in this league. But right now, he just doesn’t have the horses to stay in the race.

Pretzel

Top Member
Aug 23, 2012
More A-10 analysis http://www.examiner.com/article/atlantic-10-basketball-ryan-horne-talks-2012-12-season
The other team that could make a real splash nationally once again is VCU. VCU returns four starters and 80 percent of their scoring from a team that was a basket away from a second consecutive Sweet 16 appearance. The Rams are another team that plays exceptional defense, although VCU does it in a different manner than Saint Louis. VCU does an incredible amount of pressing and trapping, leading to turnovers and a frenetic pace to their games in general.

Apr 23, 2009
Had a chance to watch VCU practice yesterday and then have dinner with the team. I was super impressed that Ed McLaughlin believes that VCU basketball can become a national champion (sooner than later!). Ed's expectation is that we are good enough to achieve that goal. It is so good to hear that from our A.D. I am a firm believer that if you believe it, you can achieve it. It is good to know that our A.D. also believes that.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Had a chance to watch VCU practice yesterday and then have dinner with the team. I was super impressed that Ed McLaughlin believes that VCU basketball can become a national champion (sooner than later!). Ed's expectation is that we are good enough to achieve that goal. It is so good to hear that from our A.D. I am a firm believer that if you believe it, you can achieve it. It is good to know that our A.D. also believes that.
Dr. Hunt,

I hate open this can of worms . You've been VCU athletics supporter longer than anyone on this site and have better sense of people in the organization. Do you believe that Ed McLauglin statement concerning a National Championship was sincere or simply "pandering" to fans like a politician?

I think this is important because if (as some have suggested) the Athletics Department really stating propaganda, then there's no reason to listen to anything they at all.

Feb 8, 2010
Anyone who makes the NCAA Tournament can win a National Championship, strictly speaking. :?

As for it being feasible, I can't honestly look at programs like Kentucky, Duke, UCLA and Indiana and say that we can compete with them in terms of amenities, finances or sheer prestige. And truthfully, I don't want the specter of NCAA violations following every recruit we bring in, or having to fall back on the "plausible deniability" clause. I don't want us to become the next Mississippi State.

Apr 4, 2012
Dr. Hunt,

I hate open this can of worms .
No you don't, otherwise you wouldn't have opened it.

I don't expect an AD or coach that's worth his salt to say anything less to donors at a function. This is how you get people to open their wallets.

This conversation has been had already.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If VCU's Final Four run has proved ANYTHING, it's that ANY team can win the whole darn thing.
Luck
Skill
Preparation
Team

why not Us???

Apr 4, 2012
If VCU's Final Four run has proved ANYTHING, it's that ANY team can win the whole darn thing.
Luck
Skill
Preparation
Team

why not Us???
Well not really. It proves that anyone can get to the Final Four. Butler came tantalizingly close in 2010. The people who end up winning it from year to year in the modern era are not just anybody. By and large those are blue-blood, elite level programs regardless of the increasing parity in college basketball.

I have no problem with our guys saying it, that's the right thing to say.

Apr 23, 2009
Dr. Hunt,

I hate open this can of worms . You've been VCU athletics supporter longer than anyone on this site and have better sense of people in the organization. Do you believe that Ed McLauglin statement concerning a National Championship was sincere or simply "pandering" to fans like a politician?

I think this is important because if (as some have suggested) the Athletics Department really stating propaganda, then there's no reason to listen to anything they at all.
You may be entirely right, but for some reason I feel he believes it. At the risk at trying to get inside his head, I have the feeling that he is extremely pleased with what he has here at VCU. He said he had a vision of what it's like at VCU before he came, but the vision was amplified (my words) once he got here. He is super impressed with Dr. Rao and the support he has gotten. He has a great relationship with Coach Smart. He loves what he hears from the fan base and their support for the team. He is impressed with staff that he inherited and how talented they are. He believes we are in the right conference. He says that these are things that must be in place to have a championship.

Yes, part of his talk could be, as you say, pandering to donors. But I still feel that he believes that what he has here at VCU is not found in very many universities. I will give him the benefit of doubt and not put him in the category of those politicians that I am tired of hearing (at least not yet)! Let's see what he is saying as we go through the season!

Apr 23, 2009
Anyone who makes the NCAA Tournament can win a National Championship, strictly speaking. :?

As for it being feasible, I can't honestly look at programs like Kentucky, Duke, UCLA and Indiana and say that we can compete with them in terms of amenities, finances or sheer prestige. And truthfully, I don't want the specter of NCAA violations following every recruit we bring in, or having to fall back on the "plausible deniability" clause. I don't want us to become the next Mississippi State.
DCDuck, you and I have not agreed on many things, but I will say that you are absolutely correct in the above statement. Character--and the values associated with it--have carried me when things are tough and not going my way. You have hit the nail on its head.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
OR, you could not look at every single word uttered as a black/white issue, and take certain statements with a grain of salt.

it's not a matter of listening to everything or listening to nothing. this is true for many phases of life, but certainly valid when it comes to coaches, GMs, ADs whose job it is to walk the fine line between fact and fiction / hope and reality.

Reactions: artRAMinMN