News New Downtown Arena

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by RVA_RAM, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RVA_RAM

RVA_RAM Starter Top Member

NH District Corp, the collaborative effort from some of the biggest whigs in RVA including Dominion's CEO, just release initial renderings and details about their downtown arena proposal. This is the website with details: www.northofbroadrva.com

Highlights:
    17,500 seat solar-powered arena
    2,500 mix-income and market rate residences
    500+ room hotel
    Restoration of the Armory Building

They include several cool renderings, but the arena interior rendering particularly caught my eye because the center court had the A10 tournament logo--which would be a great ambition for the new venue!

Here are some of the renderings:
    InteriorCapture.JPG
    Arena Capture.JPG
    Below is a matching Google Earth image.
    Capture.JPG
    This arena and added density will definitely enhance this part of town. Hopefully, it will be a regular host of NCAA tournament games, A10 tournament, and occasional VCU in-state rivalry games! I'd love to pack 17,500 rabid Rams fans into that house.

RamSwag, vcugq08, dbt and 3 others like this.
  2. Havoc2Ut2

Havoc2Ut2 Legend Top Member

There is absolutely no way other than a NCAA tourney game, marquee concert, Bassmasters weighing, monster trucks or Disney on Ice that Richmond would ever fill up 17,500 seats. I'm the biggest RVA lover ever, but it's a waste of money. Richmond isn't DC. It's not Philly. it's not Atlanta. It isn't even Charlotte. Let's try to be objective here. RVA would require a Pro team to fill even 15000 seats and that's not going to happen in the near (or far) future.

Charlotte can't even dream about filling 20k seats regularly. Why would we think RVA could?

Nice to think about and dream about, but really having a cavern in RVA isn't going to do anyone any good. The existing arena is plenty large and easily renovated and painted a large variety of black and gold. That arena isn't the Siegel Center.

As much as we'd love to believe that 17,500 Ram fans would show on a regular basis that's not realistic. I'm not a hater and it would be a beautiful addition to the city. Show me an NHL hockey team and I'll say build the thing in a minute.

#2 Havoc2Ut2, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    DNB likes this.
  3. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

I would love to see the armory repurposed. Kinda fond of it.
    But they would bvb e better off building an arena elsewhere and free up that real estate for business development.

4. N Mollen

N Mollen Legend Top Member

So, a hotel and arena on 6th Street, and a food court at the Armory. Novel idea I suppose. :lol:

kgainez, SpiderRAM and Havoc2Ut2 like this.
  5. mike7842

mike7842 Hall of Famer

Who is going to pay for it? Taxpayers?

Havoc2Ut2 likes this.
  6. ISwamRam

ISwamRam Hall of Famer

The only thing it's missing is a walk bridge across broad...:P

Kidding aside, I would love to see this, but agree 17.5k is overly ambitious.

DNB, Havoc2Ut2 and rskills like this.
  7. Newboy

Newboy All-Star

Richmond metro is much larger than it used to be. My buddy just came back here from Chicago and could not believe how much it has grown. Chesterfield County alone is pushing 350,oooK and in 10 years will easily be over 400K. Hanover is growing and so are Goochland and Powhatan. Overall, the Richmond metro area has a population of 1.2 million and ranks 44th in the country. At least the concerts that pass us by to go to C'ville now would at least consider Richmond again.

umwram, Love2Ram, tuttlecr and 3 others like this.
  8. Havoc2Ut2

I stuck my head up to see this one. Yeah, anyone can pull a bunch of numbers to argue that which is apparent to anyone familiar with RVA. I think they don't show without an NHL team. That's the only thing possible to show up 17.5k in this country. I'd even fly there to see a game. RVA has been growing for 40 years and is a big area, but even Charlotte had to move an arena 5 total miles to get more folks to show up. They still don't get capacity very often. I see no one showing from Goochland on a week night. Powhatan either. Growing is something. Being grown is quite another. Again folks this is not a smack down of RVA. It's reality for the forseeable future.

Ramcounter likes this.
  9. Ramcounter

Ramcounter Hall of Famer

The problem with the size IMHO is that DC is too close to draw a big 4 league franchise and the number of concerts/ acts that need a 17,000 seat arena are just not enough to justify the expense. Without a major tenet taking up a good chunk of dates I don’t see how this arena doesn’t sit empty the majority of the year. Also, didn’t the A10 block off the upper deck during the tournament?

BaNgMyPrOgRaM and Havoc2Ut2 like this.
  10. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

All of which explains why it will never happen.

Ramcounter likes this.
  11. Havoc2Ut2

I've never seen anything but curtains over the upper deck of Barclays during any A10 tourney and I've seen several. I've never even seen anything close to capacity in the seating area either.

Ramcounter likes this.
  12. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

I love the urban center and it is needed in that area. The city is much different than it was a decade ago. Build it and they will come.

#12 AlienAiden, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    dbt, tuttlecr, SpiderRAM and 5 others like this.
  13. Newboy

Newboy All-Star

There is no sense in building a new one unless it has the capacity to draw some major events. The old coliseum needs to be replaced, and there is no point in replacing it with another 10,ooo k arena.

I think it will happen. Would almost bet some cash that VCU may throw a little cash in as well.

Better conference, better arena for big games. I think it is the real reason we are not in the Big East.

umwram likes this.
  14. BradRamFan

BradRamFan Legend Top Member

The fact that they want to also build 2500 living spaces will be the icing that fails this project. The overall project is just way, way too ambitious IMO. It's almost like the arena is secondary to everything else they want to do. It would however to bring life down to the Richmond area......Broad Street in that area (the main street running through Richmond) looks like a bunch of abandoned buildings unfortunately. I just wonder if you can lure enough people to want live downtown in order to liven up downtown.

15. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

Have you been down tobacco row or Rockett's Landing or Scott's Addition or Libby Mill or etc etc? People are gobbling up condos and apartments in the city. Even out in Henrico on Broad St the village is sold out. I think it can be very successful and the venue would hopefully bring in some good shows too.

ChemE_Ram, artRAMinMN, umwram and 7 others like this.