News New Downtown Arena

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by RVA_RAM, Jul 7, 2018.

1. vcu70

vcu70 Legend Top Member

There are many reasons for poor quality schools and money is sometimes the problem if good teachers are leaving for lots higher pay such as in NVa. Talk to teachers and they will tell you the problems are poor parenting, disrespect, no discipline, SOLs and no backing from the admin. Wife and I both taught for a total of 50 plus years in poor and well to do communities.

Celticguy likes this.
  2. Mistachill

Mistachill Legend Top Member

You're from Philly so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I kid, I kid!!!! :lol:

3. sjhawk13

sjhawk13 Hall of Famer Top Member

Ahem, I'm from NJ--get it right!

Mistachill and Havoc2Ut2 like this.
  4. mrgeode

mrgeode Top Tuna Top Member

Ah, that bastion of reasonable discourse

Mistachill and Havoc2Ut2 like this.
  5. Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram Legend Top Member

The City of Richmond government has been mismanaged for many years. It's an absolute joke. If it weren't for VCU and state government half of downtown Richmond would look like a war zone. The proposed downtown redevelopment has already been sidetracked by the City of Richmond government. The private investment group that initially proposed this development was basically put on hold while Mayor Stoney and the city issued an RFP for pretty much the same development at no cost to the taxpayers. The original private investment group ended up being the only entity to submit a proposal, so basically 6 months have been wasted by Mayor Stoney and the city and they still haven't made a final decision. The fact that no other entity bid on Mayor Stoney's RFP tells you all you need to know about Richmond city government. But you can rest assured, Mayor Stoney will take total credit for the new development if/when it happens.

6. urmite

urmite Hall of Famer Top Member

Under strange but true facts, I had a chemistry experiment in the cargo bay of the Challenger.
    A group of us won a contest in High School with that as the prize.
    "The effect of zero gravity on Electrophoresis"

SpiderRAM likes this.
  7. sjhawk13

sjhawk13 Hall of Famer Top Member

I consider myself fairly reasonable in large part because of where I grew up--we were not encouraged to simply avoid discussions because of "politeness".

Having worked for a public entity that decided to spend tens and tens of millions on economic development in one of America's poorest cities in lieu of (or, more diplomatically, "in addition to" other commitments, let me assure you that it is not a silver bullet. Even those projects which are full featured with venues, retails, and housing--including those in college towns--are exceptionally complicated. I don't know Stoney from Stony Run, but I know I would appreciate stewards of public funds who spend an extra couple of months looking for competitive alternative opportunities, even if they don't get them or end up going with the original proposal.

None of this is simple, including the day-to-day operations of municipal government.

Mistachill, mrgeode and Ramlove81 like this.
  8. mrgeode

9. Wolfpack Ram

Trust me. I have no problem with due diligence. Unfortunately, this city has a tack record for missed opportunities. Approximately 10 years ago, the city started discussing building a new minor league baseball stadium with the surrounding counties. The counties have since dropped out of the discussion, our Triple A team left for greener pastures because a new stadium could not be finalized and our current Double A team was pretty much promised a new stadium if they relocated to Richmond. And it is still in limbo with now VCU and the Flying Squirrels talking about building a new stadium without any help from the city. It's just a matter of time before the Flying Squirrels pack up and leave. Yet the city found a way to build the Redskins a summer practice facility overnight with all kinds of financial incentives that they have not been able to deliver. I expect the Redskins are also short lived in Richmond for summer camp.

Mistachill likes this.
  10. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

When you're alone and life is making you lonely
    You can always go downtown.
    When you've got worries all the noise and the hurry
    Seems to help I know downtown.

11. mrgeode

I don't actually believe this, but City Hall's dithering about the stadium could be a stealth move to get rid of baseball in Richmond entirely and free up that parcel for development. Maybe they were working the long con all along and knew real estate prices around Scott's Addition would skyrocket.

12. mrgeode

iVx7L8O7rFjI4.gif

13. VRam

VRam Legend Top Member

Ugh. Even worse.

14. Wolfpack Ram

That must also be the same reason they are hanging on to City Stadium.

Bridgewater83 and mrgeode like this.
  15. vcu70

vcu70 Legend Top Member

They are following the same plan as Rome. You checked their tourist trade lately?