News New Downtown Arena

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Paying taxes with no vested interest. Totally different. You can choose to pay or not. You can eat in the county or spend in the county. It is a choice. Property tax is not an option. Paying the taxes on cars and real estate is non negotiable. I pay taxes when I eat in the county but I don’t chime in on how the county runs it’s affairs and trust me...the decisions that are made in the counties are by far from being perfect.
And how many tax dollars do you think this development will reap from people living outside of the city? Every major city in America has benefited from urban development in some way, and residents from outside the government region have financially supported that development through increased tax revenue.

If the City of Richmond thinks they can stand alone regarding tax revenue to support the city, then so be it. Stop building anything in the city that might entice non-city residents to spend their money in the city, which increases actual tax revenue for the city. The City of Richmond government has totally hosed plans to build a new baseball stadium, to the point VCU is going to bail them out. And now, they are going to totally hose any hope for a new arena.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Even if you don't live within the city limits I think everybody who lives in the metro area would be affected. So I think this is a conversation limited to only city tax payers. In fact, I wish the counties were willing to contribute to a new coliseum, but based on the new stadium experience that will never happen.
The counties are tired of dealing with the incompetent city government. The city would screw up a one car funeral.

Apr 28, 2009
Then why don’t the counties try to step up and figure a way to build facilities to benefit the whole region. It is always easier to sit on the sidelines and criticize when you are not doing anything to address the problem yourself.

Reactions: Ramlove81 and I4one
Apr 28, 2009
And how many tax dollars do you think this development will reap from people living outside of the city? Every major city in America has benefited from urban development in some way, and residents from outside the government region have financially supported that development through increased tax revenue.

If the City of Richmond thinks they can stand alone regarding tax revenue to support the city, then so be it. Stop building anything in the city that might entice non-city residents to spend their money in the city, which increases actual tax revenue for the city. The City of Richmond government has totally hosed plans to build a new baseball stadium, to the point VCU is going to bail them out. And now, they are going to totally hose any hope for a new arena.
The counties are the ones who think they can stand alone. Always calling the city incompetent from the sides lines. No regional cooperation. If there is a new arena built people will come that’s a given...However even though everyone would benefit from having a modern venue, no one wants to contribute to making it happen. If the city does not do something to replace an old outdated facility then it is highly unlikely the county would step up and do anything.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The counties are the ones who think they can stand alone. Always calling the city incompetent from the sides lines. No regional cooperation. If there is a new arena built people will come that’s a given...However even though everyone would benefit from having a modern venue, no one wants to contribute to making it happen. If the city does not do something to replace an old outdated facility then it is highly unlikely the county would step up and do anything.
Just maybe the city needs to treat it like a "true" partnership and then the counties might jump on board. The City of Richmond can't make all of the decisions and then expect the counties to jump on board financially. The counties clearly know how mismanaged the City of Richmond is. Heck - all anyone has to do is read the front page of the Times-Dispatch on a daily basis to see how mismanaged the City of Richmond is, yet they want control of everything. Again, just look at the baseball stadium fiasco, the Redskins summer camp training facility and a crumbled City Stadium as evidence when it comes to sports venues.

Reactions: Bridgewater83
Apr 21, 2009
Just maybe the city needs to treat it like a "true" partnership and then the counties might jump on board.
Do not make me laugh. You boys have been obstructionist since the beginnings of integration...through Milliken v. Bradley, the RMA, regional public transit. It is a sin that you would dare fall back on the assertion that the city has somehow let down the region when it comes to regional partnership.

I have said many times that county people and city people in Central Virginia are fundamentally different creatures all together. For too long, we (city dwellers) have been on the receiving end of county obstructionism, and separatism. I wish our leadership was stronger, but now that the urban core is coming back, city people need to quit focusing on reaching out to those who would have seen us destroyed a generation ago. Let us build the tax base, hoard the revenues, and force these aging, deteriorating suburbs to their knees.

There can be only 1 endgame: in the General Assembly and approval of (once again) annexation.

That said, TIFs dont work, and I am generally opposed to the new arena plans.

Last edited:

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
At some point, an independent city in Virginia of some size needs to turn in their charter and force the general assembly's hand into addressing the totally fudgeed up city/county system and funding we currently have.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
At some point, an independent city in Virginia of some size needs to turn in their charter and force the general assembly's hand into addressing the totally fudgeed up city/county system and funding we currently have.
This is a hilarious idea. Reverse annexation. City borders can't expand - no problem, Petersburg is all part of Chesterfield County now.

Reactions: rvaram

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
The city of Richmond is the central location, best location, for a new arena, but it should not be solely Richmond's problem to bear the potential financial responsibility of a new arena. I live in Hanover County, and a new arena should be the financial responsibility of all the counties, New Kent, Hanover, Henrico, Caroline, etc., and all the cities, Richmond and the Tri-Cities. It's about the quality of life, and a new arena improves the quality of life for citizens in central Virginia. No matter what trust we have, or our political beliefs a new arena would be good for the Richmond region.

Reactions: Mistachill
Dec 2, 2012
I like the cut of your jib, sir.
Man, I'd love to see that. That Annie Oakley Trump humping State rep would probably try to succeed from the union.

The City /County divide in Virginia is about race in a lot of ways.
It was to start and still is.
By the way, has anyone heard Stoney on local radio talking about how the Navy Hill project will "enrich" the community?
It was pretty different than what he say in general consumption media.

Apr 21, 2009
This is a hilarious idea. Reverse annexation. City borders can't expand - no problem, Petersburg is all part of Chesterfield County now.
At some point, Petersburg to Chesterfield may just become reality. Cities are required to balance budgets and Petersburg simply does not have the tax base to do that consistently. We are talking about a locality with a lot of non-taxable property where approximately 19000 of the City's 32000 residents are receiving some form of public assistance. It cannot continue to go on like this.

Reactions: mrgeode

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Actually, Petersburg would probably be part of Prince George County or Dinwiddie County. Petersburg is south of the Appomattox River.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The city of Richmond is the central location, best location, for a new arena, but it should not be solely Richmond's problem to bear the potential financial responsibility of a new arena. I live in Hanover County, and a new arena should be the financial responsibility of all the counties, New Kent, Hanover, Henrico, Caroline, etc., and all the cities, Richmond and the Tri-Cities. It's about the quality of life, and a new arena improves the quality of life for citizens in central Virginia. No matter what trust we have, or our political beliefs a new arena would be good for the Richmond region.
The RMA used to do exactly this regarding the Diamond until the RMA transferred ownership of the Diamond to the City of Richmond in 2014.