News New Downtown Arena

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
A mostly empty FB stadium and an empty FB training facility of NFL quality should draw excellent soccer and Rugby players. BTW, the new Fredericksburg single A team has named its team the Nationals and will begin play there in the spring in a new complex.

Apr 28, 2009
Do not make me laugh. You boys have been obstructionist since the beginnings of integration...through Milliken v. Bradley, the RMA, regional public transit. It is a sin that you would date fall back on the assertion that the city has somehow let down the region when it comes to regional partnership.

I have said many times that county people and city people in Central Virginia are fundamentally different creatures all together. For too long, we (city dwellers) have been on the receiving end of county obstructionism, and separatism. I wish our leadership was stronger, but now that the urban core is coming back, city people need to quit focusing on reaching out to those who would have seen us destroyed a generation ago. Let us build the tax base, hoard the revenues, and force these aging, deteriorating suburbs to their knees.

There can be only 1 endgame: in the General Assembly and approval of (once again) annexation.

That said, TIFs dont work, and I am generally opposed to the new arena plans.
Thank you...A calculated move in the early 70s to land lock cities, thereby hindering a chance to grow the tax base.

Apr 28, 2009
Just maybe the city needs to treat it like a "true" partnership and then the counties might jump on board. The City of Richmond can't make all of the decisions and then expect the counties to jump on board financially. The counties clearly know how mismanaged the City of Richmond is. Heck - all anyone has to do is read the front page of the Times-Dispatch on a daily basis to see how mismanaged the City of Richmond is, yet they want control of everything. Again, just look at the baseball stadium fiasco, the Redskins summer camp training facility and a crumbled City Stadium as evidence when it comes to sports venues.
My last reply is this...Since the counties are so good at doing what they do then maybe the counties should undertake building something for the region in their own backyards...seeing that the city is inept and all. Oh...I forgot about the NIMBYs. Let someone else take the risk then critique them if it doesn’t work out. The city is going through a transformation despite the haters . Richmond is moving in a positive direction and the fact of the matter is some people hate that. Only to suit there need to somehow feel better. That is my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2009
Thank you...A calculated move in the early 70s to land lock cities, thereby hindering a chance to grow the tax base.
Actually, the history of Virginia independent cities goes all the way back to the Virginia Constitution of 1902. At that time, the cities had all of the economic power and it was thought that the economic vitality of the cities would be protected from their agrarian surrounds. However, by the last Virginia Constitutional Convention (1971), the exact opposite is true...and now we in the rebirth of the great American inner-core city, with a 21st century twist.

Reactions: SPI-DA1

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
My last reply is this...Since the counties are so good at doing what they do then maybe the counties should undertake building something for the region in their own backyards...seeing that the city is inept and all.
Because suburban arenas have generally proven to not work. The arena needs to be downtown, not in Mechanicsville or Midlothian.

Reactions: SPI-DA1
Apr 28, 2009
Exactly...Since obvious there is not going to be regional cooperation, the city is left to figure things out good or bad. My hope has always been that the entire region flourishes not just one area. Richmond is on the uptick and that is good for the entire area.

Reactions: Ramlove81

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
, not in Mechanicsville
Hey, Mechanicsville is getting the new ABC warehouse. I think we got the better of the two. Yes, no arena in Mechanicville.

On another note -- in the mid-60's I split time between Charlotte and Richmond, spent summers in Charlotte due to my Dad's job. I was young, but I believe Charlotte and Richmond were comparable at the time. What did Charlotte do? They built a friggin airport. Then, in simple terms, all the banking centers that Richmond had a bead on went to Charlotte. The rest is history. I know this is simplified, but what it says is areas need to make investments, private & governmental, to spur growth.

Dec 2, 2012
On another note -- in the mid-60's I split time between Charlotte and Richmond, spent summers in Charlotte due to my Dad's job. I was young, but I believe Charlotte and Richmond were comparable at the time. What did Charlotte do? They built a friggin airport. Then, in simple terms, all the banking centers that Richmond had a bead on went to Charlotte. The rest is history. I know this is simplified, but what it says is areas need to make investments, private & governmental, to spur growth.
Do we really want growth?

There should be limits on it.

Do you want Richmond to be crowded and polluted like NOVA?

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Do we really want growth?

There should be limits on it.

Do you want Richmond to be crowded and polluted like NOVA?
This quote perfectly summarizes the true problem with Richmond. The city and residents claim they want growth/development and then try to put limits on it to prevent “becoming like NOVA”. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Hey, Mechanicsville is getting the new ABC warehouse. I think we got the better of the two. Yes, no arena in Mechanicville.

I agree. I was talking to Ramcounter about this and one of the main barriers to true growth in the city, I believe, is the accessibility to the rest of the country. If you’re not in DC or Raleigh, it is a major pain in the butt to try to get to Richmond. When I fly in, it can take up to 12 hours because Richmond has such a limited number of flights and connections.

Reactions: VCU94MCV98

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I agree. I was talking to Ramcounter about this and one of the main barriers to true growth in the city, I believe, is the accessibility to the rest of the country. If you’re not in DC or Raleigh, it is a major pain in the butt to try to get to Richmond. When I fly in, it can take up to 12 hours because Richmond has such a limited number of flights and connections.
With the expansion of the a terminal and the increase in traffic (on pace for over 4 million passengers this year) we will see additional flights and hopefully at least 1 west coast direct flight.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
This quote perfectly summarizes the true problem with Richmond. The city and residents claim they want growth/development and then try to put limits on it to prevent “becoming like NOVA”. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
I've said this for years. We can't decide if we want to be a big city or a small town. We ended up always in the gray area and not great at either.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

Yep, I've heard others say the same thing. Major missed opportunity.