News New Downtown Arena

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
With the expansion of the a terminal and the increase in traffic (on pace for over 4 million passengers this year) we will see additional flights and hopefully at least 1 west coast direct flight.
Unfortunately the airport needs a lot more growth than that. 1 west coast direct flight unfortunately won't help so much in the long run, particularly if the city wants to make good use of the conference space they do have. This is one of the reasons (not the only) that the conference space RVA does have can't attract any national conventions. Until travel to the city becomes truly easy, it will always play fourth fiddle when these national groups are looking.

Reactions: Mistachill

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I agree. I was talking to Ramcounter about this and one of the main barriers to true growth in the city, I believe, is the accessibility to the rest of the country. If you’re not in DC or Raleigh, it is a major pain in the butt to try to get to Richmond. When I fly in, it can take up to 12 hours because Richmond has such a limited number of flights and connections.
Ever tried flying to DCA and driving for 2 hours? Go to richmond 3-4 times a year for games and that is what i do every time. 5-6 hours door to door tops and very flexible schedule, usually cheaper too-even with the car rental.

Reactions: TampaKAP

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Ever tried flying to DCA and driving for 2 hours? Go to richmond 3-4 times a year for games and that is what i do every time. 5-6 hours door to door tops and very flexible schedule, usually cheaper too-even with the car rental.
I've absolutely done that, but it also highlights the actual problem. It's not easy to get to Richmond. You have to fly to a different major city and then still drive 2 hours (or more if it's timed wrong) to get to Richmond. No event organizer is going to subject their members to that kind of travel schedule. They'll just hold it in the city that has the airport.

Last edited:

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Hey, Mechanicsville is getting the new ABC warehouse. I think we got the better of the two. Yes, no arena in Mechanicville.

On another note -- in the mid-60's I split time between Charlotte and Richmond, spent summers in Charlotte due to my Dad's job. I was young, but I believe Charlotte and Richmond were comparable at the time. What did Charlotte do? They built a friggin airport. Then, in simple terms, all the banking centers that Richmond had a bead on went to Charlotte. The rest is history. I know this is simplified, but what it says is areas need to make investments, private & governmental, to spur growth.
It is before my time but wasn’t part of the Charlotte rise tied with the Richmond banks being bought out?

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I've absolutely done that, but it also highlights the actual problem. It's not easy to get to Richmond. You have to fly to a different major city and then still drive 2 hours (or more if it's timed wrong) to get to Richmond. No event organizer is going to subject their members to that kind of travel schedule. They'll just hold it in the city that has the airport.
Got it....from the perspective of an event organizer, 100% see your point.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
It is before my time but wasn’t part of the Charlotte rise tied with the Richmond banks being bought out?
I am sure there is some of that and I confessed they my observation was probably over simplified. But what is very true is that Charlotte made the investment in the airport, gave Piedmont/USAir their left gonad to make it a hub. It worked. I work for a company headquartered in Richmond, we have a national sales force. We hold our sales meeting in Charlotte of all places due to ease to get to and cost. We have no connection to Charlotte. It's a total cost/logistic decision. It takes all the mules hooked up to the same yoke to make progress, nobody in Richmond (and surrounding area) is even remotely hooked up to the same yoke.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Unfortunately the airport needs a lot more growth than that. 1 west coast direct flight unfortunately won't help so much in the long run, particularly if the city wants to make good use of the conference space they do have. This is one of the reasons (not the only) that the conference space RVA does have can't attract any national conventions. Until travel to the city becomes truly easy, it will always play fourth fiddle when these national groups are looking.
Yeah, I hear you. Unfortunately with the way airlines have consolidated to the big 3 and southwest, it's going to get more and more difficult to fly direct to cities if you don't have a hub. Airports like Cincinnati, Cleveland and Memphis have been big losers in this.

I read something that decades back there was discussion of building a super regional airport somewhere off of 460 and consolidating RIC and ORF. Of course that never happened and they needlessly built Newport News (they're hanging on by a thread)...

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
The real game changer for Richmond is going to be high speed rail to DC. Imagine being able to get there in the same time it takes to go from the west end to the airport.

So much potential around here. Although, smart growth is tough. Cities like Nashville are getting more and more difficult to get around.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
The real game changer for Richmond is going to be high speed rail to DC. Imagine being able to get there in the same time it takes to go from the west end to the airport.

So much potential around here. Although, smart growth is tough. Cities like Nashville are getting more and more difficult to get around.
If that ever happens. I hope so. Would be incredible for growth.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
If that ever happens. I hope so. Would be incredible for growth.
That's a massive 20 year project that will inevitably include delays. I can say though they are working on it. I used to manage property on 95 and had several surveyors come out to the site to determine how much land they may need to take for the new track. That being said, I still would not count on that for the growth. Plenty of businesses already want to come to RVA, but the decidedly anti-development stance of the citizens there make it virtually impossible. That is the thing that needs fixed most to spur growth.

May 19, 2015
Man, I'd love to see that. That Annie Oakley Trump humping State rep would probably try to succeed from the union.

The City /County divide in Virginia is about race in a lot of ways.
It was to start and still is.
By the way, has anyone heard Stoney on local radio talking about how the Navy Hill project will "enrich" the community?
It was pretty different than what he say in general consumption media.
This post makes me sick.

Reactions: Bridgewater83

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hey, Mechanicsville is getting the new ABC warehouse. I think we got the better of the two. Yes, no arena in Mechanicville.

On another note -- in the mid-60's I split time between Charlotte and Richmond, spent summers in Charlotte due to my Dad's job. I was young, but I believe Charlotte and Richmond were comparable at the time. What did Charlotte do? They built a friggin airport. Then, in simple terms, all the banking centers that Richmond had a bead on went to Charlotte. The rest is history. I know this is simplified, but what it says is areas need to make investments, private & governmental, to spur growth.
I'm sure people opposing the airport in the 60s were against it because the schools needed more money.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I am sure there is some of that and I confessed they my observation was probably over simplified. But what is very true is that Charlotte made the investment in the airport, gave Piedmont/USAir their left gonad to make it a hub. It worked. I work for a company headquartered in Richmond, we have a national sales force. We hold our sales meeting in Charlotte of all places due to ease to get to and cost. We have no connection to Charlotte. It's a total cost/logistic decision. It takes all the mules hooked up to the same yoke to make progress, nobody in Richmond (and surrounding area) is even remotely hooked up to the same yoke.
Thanks. I was trying to remember the timeline of the airport hub move and the banking mergers. As you can imagine there was a lot of results on a bank merger search.

Apr 21, 2009
NC deregulated banks early. Virginia could not see the future and was too late to the game. By the time we were on board, the NC banks had been allowed to grow through acquisition and all our banks were sitting ducks. Still carry my safe deposit box key in its original Crestar pouch. Get lots of quizzical looks from the younger SunTrust employees who don't get the subtle jab at their conquest.