News New Downtown Arena

Apr 28, 2009
IMHO this is a great area! I believe in growth as long as it is controlled and planned. Slow but steady seems to be the best bet. It is important to establish our own identity as a region and not try to copycat others.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
It is important to establish our own identity as a region and not try to copycat others.
What works in one region may not work in another. However, trying to do things by making it up as you go along is pretty much a recipe for disaster IMO. It's much better to study what works and then adjust accordingly.

Dec 2, 2012
That's a massive 20 year project that will inevitably include delays. I can say though they are working on it. I used to manage property on 95 and had several surveyors come out to the site to determine how much land they may need to take for the new track. That being said, I still would not count on that for the growth. Plenty of businesses already want to come to RVA, but the decidedly anti-development stance of the citizens there make it virtually impossible. That is the thing that needs fixed most to spur growth.
They are also going to have high speed rail to Lynchburg, which could lead to hand holding on the Liberty campus.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
IMHO this is a great area! I believe in growth as long as it is controlled and planned. Slow but steady seems to be the best bet. It is important to establish our own identity as a region and not try to copycat others.
This is great in theory, unfortunately it's not really how it works in the real world. Slow and steady when it comes to city growth is usually more a recipe for disaster than it is for success.

I do large scale development all over the country and I can say that Richmond's name is, unfortunately, mud. The current the identity that Richmond and the surrounding counties have established is not a great one for growth. That in and of itself isn't a problem if Richmond wants to stay small. If it doesn't though, that attitude needs to change and quickly. Company's want to be there because it's a top 50 MSA in terms of population, but the loathe to do so because of the anti-development attitude that's so pervasive in the region.

Mar 1, 2015
NC deregulated banks early. Virginia could not see the future and was too late to the game. By the time we were on board, the NC banks had been allowed to grow through acquisition and all our banks were sitting ducks. Still carry my safe deposit box key in its original Crestar pouch. Get lots of quizzical looks from the younger SunTrust employees who don't get the subtle jab at their conquest.
My old man still has a silver Crestar Track Suit and a United Virginia money pouch.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Geez, can we please stop with this tired, overused go-to argument people use to block anything "non-essential" the city wants to do.
Well the graduation rate is now at 75% . Thats down from last year, and 1 in 4 kids drop out. Cities are directly responsible for essential systems, and they can't even get the schools above 75%. I fail to see how it's a tired argument.

The last big projects the city has tackled have been failures, and now one of the mayors team had to be sacrificed for nepotism. The numbers are more than likely faked, and if there's no full time tenant the thing won't work. Of course that's just one long time residents opinion. I'd love too be proved wrong. I'd love a vibrant Navy Hill, and a venue that drew sports and entertainment.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
This is great in theory, unfortunately it's not really how it works in the real world. Slow and steady when it comes to city growth is usually more a recipe for disaster than it is for success.

I do large scale development all over the country and I can say that Richmond's name is, unfortunately, mud. The current the identity that Richmond and the surrounding counties have established is not a great one for growth. That in and of itself isn't a problem if Richmond wants to stay small. If it doesn't though, that attitude needs to change and quickly. Company's want to be there because it's a top 50 MSA in terms of population, but the loathe to do so because of the anti-development attitude that's so pervasive in the region.
Is it seen as anti development in the region or just the city ?

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Is it seen as anti development in the region or just the city ?
When I’m saying region, I’m talking mostly about Henrico, Chesterfield, and Richmond City. Goochland and Hanover are both considered more friendly for development, but that’s because they’re desperate to grow. Unfortunately they lack the necessary infrastructure to make that growth happen and the way the population moves about the city hurts them. Both are perceived to be too far out to reach the Richmond area and so most businesses don’t want to be out there. Hanover is a little bit ahead of Goochland, but not by much.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
My old man still has a silver Crestar Track Suit and a United Virginia money pouch.
My first local checking account was opened at the F&M at the corner of Harrison and Floyd. Throughout all the mergers etc, I still have the same account number. A few times on the phone with the bank I’ve gotten a question “ is that it?” when I give the number because it’s so short. Feel like
I’m holding the original car title/number to an Edsel or something :)

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Well the graduation rate is now at 75% . Thats down from last year, and 1 in 4 kids drop out. Cities are directly responsible for essential systems, and they can't even get the schools above 75%. I fail to see how it's a tired argument.

The last big projects the city has tackled have been failures, and now one of the mayors team had to be sacrificed for nepotism. The numbers are more than likely faked, and if there's no full time tenant the thing won't work. Of course that's just one long time residents opinion. I'd love too be proved wrong. I'd love a vibrant Navy Hill, and a venue that drew sports and entertainment.
As many have pointed out, money doesn't solve the school issues, it is way more complex than throwing dollars at it. You think if they don't build a new arena and invested all of those funds into the school system grad rates will soar?

And what are all of these recent "failed projects?" And please don't reference 6th street market place from 30 years ago.

So the city hasn't had any recent successful projects? Is a project considered "failed" if it doesn't achieve projected financial results within the projected time frame?

For the record, I thought the training camp was a dumb idea from the start. I don't view an arena being dumb. Almost everybody agrees we need a new arena. There were a lot of varying opinions on the training facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPI-DA1

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Charlotte has a metropolitan wide government.....
True, but if our county and city leaders could learn to sit down together and work on common problems for the good of all, maybe something would get done that would be positive for the whole community. Is the Richmond government corrupt, maybe. But I live in Hanover and we certainly have our "good ol' boy system)
My first local checking account was opened at the F&M at the corner of Harrison and Floyd. Throughout all the mergers etc, I still have the same account number. A few times on the phone with the bank I’ve gotten a question “ is that it?” when I give the number because it’s so short. Feel like
I’m holding the original car title/number to an Edsel or something :)
My checking account goes back to State Planters, I think my account number is only 5-6 digits, I know I have 5 zeros in front of it.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
As many have pointed out, money doesn't solve the school issues, it is way more complex than throwing dollars at it. You think if they don't build a new arena and invested all of those funds into the school system grad rates will soar?

And what are all of these recent "failed projects?" And please don't reference 6th street market place from 30 years ago.

So the city hasn't had any recent successful projects? Is a project considered "failed" if it doesn't achieve projected financial results within the projected time frame?

For the record, I thought the training camp was a dumb idea from the start. I don't view an arena being dumb. Almost everybody agrees we need a new arena. There were a lot of varying opinions on the training facility.
You're correct, money doesn't solve school issues. This is a money (physical infrastructure) AND a management issue. The management of Richmond d city schools has been abysmal. The effort to get this new project off the ground surpasses what they've tried to do with schools.

Well since 6th street and Main st. station they didn't tackle many. Redskins Training ? I'm not sure what they thought was gonna happen with that little nugget. The canal walk was the last one. It hasn't done that much. The new pulse system for rapid transit is bizarre.

What city project has turned a profit in any time frame ?

Do we need a coliseum like venue ?? sure, but who's really going to pay for it ? I do not believe private sector dollars are going to be put at risk by anyone with sense enough to accumulate that much money for a venue with no full time tenant. VCU has a basketball arena on campus and that show;d never change, unless VCU somehow expands all the way down to Navy hill and MVC doesn't count, undergrad facilities.