News New Downtown Arena

Mar 1, 2015
Young talent in tech fields typically aren’t thrilled to be in an office park in the suburbs. Location was cited as draw for Carmax’s new location downtown. It will become increasingly important.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
The General Assembly should just reward VCU with a 20,000 seat venue on campus as being one of two flagship universities in the Commonwealth.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
It’s been a few years since I was researching it, but Goochlands Utility Service District was struggling to make interest only payments and not budgeting for future maintenance. They were taking a real bath on it. Don’t mistake easy for desperate.
In those negotiations, the two are very often linked... For instance, I'm doing a deal in Birmingham where I will be getting more than $10 million in state and local incentives. Conversely, I'm only going to get maybe +/- $1 million in Chicago (final number isn't set yet). Birmingham is far more desperate and easier to deal with than Chicago. I haven't research Goochland USD or the cost on it, but regardless of what happened so I can't really speak to the hardship it put on the county, but it still remains that those companies left the Richmond MSA.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Yeah. sounds like Richmond is screwed. Too bad.
Not saying RVA is screwed. Just saying that A) What people in the metro say they want and then the actions they take don't match up. B) Companies want to be there but until A is solved, the incentive just isn't there. C) The city needs to do something to attract companies to the area to replace what was lost in the last recession. D) I'm not sure the stadium is right (not sure it isn't either). I'd rather see the money funneled into a project that provides a greater connection to the rest of the country (the airport).

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Not saying RVA is screwed. Just saying that A) What people in the metro say they want and then the actions they take don't match up. B) Companies want to be there but until A is solved, the incentive just isn't there. C) The city needs to do something to attract companies to the area to replace what was lost in the last recession. D) I'm not sure the stadium is right (not sure it isn't either). I'd rather see the money funneled into a project that provides a greater connection to the rest of the country (the airport).
RIC has received a grant for a daily non-stop to the west coast. Terminal A expansion opens next year.

Reactions: dbt and rvaram

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
from what I understand, they are not setting their sites on one specific city. The grant is to lure an airline to do something on the west coast. Denver won't suffice. My guess is that it'll be LAX.

Reactions: rvaram