News New Downtown Arena

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
It is before my time but wasn’t part of the Charlotte rise tied with the Richmond banks being bought out?
I seem to remember folks in the State legislature being concerned the larger in-state banks were buying up the smaller ones so they passed a law to prevent but could not protect/prevent purchases from out of state.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I seem to remember folks in the State legislature being concerned the larger in-state banks were buying up the smaller ones so they passed a law to prevent but could not protect/prevent purchases from out of state.
It wasn't the banking industry that leapfrogged Charlotte over Richmond. Piedmont Airlines was looking for a national hub and Charlotte jumped all over it while Richmond did what they always do, sit on their butts and not be aggressive. Piedmont Airlines later merged with US Air and the rest is history. Bank of America built a huge skyscraper in Charlotte. Conference USA took Charlotte over VCU because of easy air access Charlotte Airport single-handedly put Charlotte on the map.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
What makes you say that? Any inside info? Their hubs on the west coast are SFO and LAX.
None of the other airlines servicing RIC have expressed any interest in flying non-stop as far west as Denver. Delta doesn't even fly non-stop to Salt Lake City from RIC, and that's a major west coast hub for them. It would be a huge leap for both Southwest and Jet Blue to offer that service. Neither has great numbers flying out of RIC.

Mar 18, 2012
None of the other airlines servicing RIC have expressed any interest in flying non-stop as far west as Denver. Delta doesn't even fly non-stop to Salt Lake City from RIC, and that's a major west coast hub for them. It would be a huge leap for both Southwest and Jet Blue to offer that service. Neither has great numbers flying out of RIC.
Las Vegas, McCarran International. Everybody comes and goes out of this airport.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Got the better end of that at least
Let's not forget Charlotte was in the A-10 before VCU was. The only reason they left was due to starting football and then upgrading to FBS status. They joined the A10 in 2005 went VCU was still buried in the CAA. They were also in C-USA for 10 years, after the Metro broke up, when C-USA was a basketball power conference.

So, NO. VCU did not get the better end of that deal. If VCU doesn't make it to the Final Four in 2011 with Shaka Smart, there very well may not have been an invite from the A10 in 2012.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Let's not forget Charlotte was in the A-10 before VCU was. The only reason they left was due to starting football and then upgrading to FBS status. They joined the A10 in 2005 went VCU was still buried in the CAA. They were also in C-USA for 10 years, after the Metro broke up, when C-USA was a basketball power conference.

So, NO. VCU did not get the better end of that deal. If VCU doesn't make it to the Final Four in 2011 with Shaka Smart, there very well may not have been an invite from the A10 in 2012.
Lot of " IFs and buts" in that ...bottom line....Today VCU is in a much better place

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
If VCU doesn't make it to the Final Four in 2011 with Shaka Smart, there very well may not have been an invite from the A10 in 2012.
I'm not sure I agree with that. In 2012 what other options (besides Butler) were available to the A-10 that were more desirable than VCU even without the final four? Mason?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I'm not sure I agree with that. In 2012 what other options (besides Butler) were available to the A-10 that were more desirable than VCU even without the final four? Mason?
Wichita State was pretty good back then. So was Murray State. Make no mistake. Shaka Smart was hot then and VCU just went to the Final Four. That Final Four run is what got VCU an invite to the A-10. The A-10 already had a school in the Richmond market when VCU was invited. Bernadette and Company jump all over VCU and Butler because of their Final Four appearances. They weren't talking to VCU prior to the 2011 run.