News New Downtown Arena

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Wichita State was pretty good back then. So was Murray State. Make no mistake. Shaka Smart was hot then and VCU just went to the Final Four. That Final Four run is what got VCU an invite to the A-10. The A-10 already had a school in the Richmond market when VCU was invited. Bernadette and Company jump all over VCU and Butler because of their Final Four appearances. They weren't talking to VCU prior to the 2011 run.
Yet during the second round of expansion they opted for Davidson and Mason which leads me to believe Wichita State and Murray State were never on the table. Again, I think with or without the final four, VCU gets the invite in 2012. The final four just made it a no brainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
None of the other airlines servicing RIC have expressed any interest in flying non-stop as far west as Denver. Delta doesn't even fly non-stop to Salt Lake City from RIC, and that's a major west coast hub for them. It would be a huge leap for both Southwest and Jet Blue to offer that service. Neither has great numbers flying out of RIC.
Interesting what is considered a west coast hub on the east coast. Calling Denver or Salt Lake City West Coast hubs is kind of like calling Indianapolis and St. Louis East Coast hubs. There are three states on the west coast none of them is Utah or Colorado are among them. These would of course give better access to the west coast, but it is not accurate to call them west coast hubs.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Interesting what is considered a west coast hub on the east coast. Calling Denver or Salt Lake City West Coast hubs is kind of like calling Indianapolis and St. Louis East Coast hubs. There are three states on the west coast none of them is Utah or Colorado are among them. These would of course give better access to the west coast, but it is not accurate to call them west coast hubs.
I'd just say western hubs.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Why not put this here? Ha!

It had me thinking......the A10 is Arenas and Centers except for Rose Hill.

UD Arena
Hagan Arena
Chaifetz Arena
John M. Belk Arena
Tom Gola Arena

AJ Palumbo Center
Mullins Center
Patriot Center
Reilly Center
Stuart C Siegel Center
Reilly Center
Robins Center
Smith Center

Rose Hill Gymnasium
I am impatiently waiting for his 2020 projections to drop.

Reactions: AlienAiden

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Why not put this here? Ha!

It had me thinking......the A10 is Arenas and Centers except for Rose Hill.

UD Arena
Hagan Arena
Chaifetz Arena
John M. Belk Arena
Tom Gola Arena

AJ Palumbo Center
Mullins Center
Patriot Center
Reilly Center
Stuart C Siegel Center
Reilly Center
Robins Center
Smith Center

Rose Hill Gymnasium
We've got both Arena and Center covered (EJ Wade Arena at the Stuart Siegel Center).

Apr 28, 2009
Indicators of possible movement?? Sometimes the wheels turn slow in the background before they pick up steam....

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
We've got both Arena and Center covered (EJ Wade Arena at the Stuart Siegel Center).
Do we still have any Pavilion naming rights? I remember the days of the Alltell Pavilion, didn't know if Verizon was still technically on the bill or if that got bumped when we became EJ Wade Arena.

Also, Mason is an Arena now and no longer a Center.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Do we still have any Pavilion naming rights? I remember the days of the Alltell Pavilion, didn't know if Verizon was still technically on the bill or if that got bumped when we became EJ Wade Arena.

Also, Mason is an Arena now and no longer a Center.
Wade was the replacement for Verizon.