New Stadium?

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I really enjoy going to the vcu baseball games. They definitely deserve a stadium that better suits their needs (same can be said for the squirrels). It would be great if vcu could be in on the planning and construction phases to make this a great venue for both vcu baseball and the squirrels.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Now that VCU has stepped up I think this will finally get done. VCU needs a stadium to help with recruiting and continued success. For years VCU has leased the Diamond and being a partner sounds better to me. It is a renter versus buyer thing.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I'm really surprised it's taken this long for VCU to get involved. Maybe now it will actually get done. Hopefully the city leaders won't screw this up again.
I have no idea but baseball going to the super regional probably has a similar effect on a stadium as basketball going to the final 4 has on a basketball development center

Deb O

Top Member
Insider
Feb 3, 2010
I'm really surprised it's taken this long for VCU to get involved.
I'm thinking it may have to do with the practice facility being completed first. My husband has been saying that VCU needed to get involved because of their use of The Diamond. Whatever the reason, I am certainly thrilled that this is happening!

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I'm thinking it may have to do with the practice facility being completed first. My husband has been saying that VCU needed to get involved because of their use of The Diamond. Whatever the reason, I am certainly thrilled that this is happening!
Not to mention a large payment toward the practice facility. It think they paid a large chunk off recently. I had heard that VCU was going to make a couple of payments on the Development Center debt before they took on another debt payment. My guess is that happened or is about to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This is great news. RVA has so much to offer & that area in particular is so popular. I'm really happy about this possibility.
If you drive behind Sauers and the Science Museum and around Scott's Addition you will see lots of apartments that VCU students are taking advantage of. It is a short bike ride from campus.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Anyone have any idea where this stadium would go? I am trying to think of where there is enough land for a stadium that would not be part of the boulevard development area.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Where is the ABC property that's mentioned? Also hope they look at Tides stadium, was a very nice minor league park.

Reactions: MobileMunchies