New Transfer Rules from NCAA

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by BradRamFan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BradRamFan

BradRamFan Legend Top Member

2. OvisAries14

OvisAries14 6th Man

3. rammad90

rammad90 Legend Top Member

However, Conferences and still add restrictions such as no inter-conference transfers.

RonnieDobbs likes this.
  4. Love2Ram

Love2Ram Hall of Famer Top Member

This will further accelerate the transfer numbers but I don't see this as very beneficial for non P5 programs. Anyone wanting to transfer goes into a database within two days of notifying school. Coaches will be stumbling over each other for anyone talented. This is really going to hurt the lower tier programs and I doubt if any of the major conferences had any objections.

5. VCU Finance 2008

VCU Finance 2008 Legend Top Member

I don't think so. Asking the school for permission was just a formality any way. If they stopped making transfers sit out a year then that would have the impact that you are describing.

SwiftyClown and SpiderRAM like this.
  6. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend Top Member

Yeah I don't see it hurting Non P5's any more or less than kids transferring now does. If coaches leave/get fired.... you will still have kids transferring/de-committing. If a player goes somewhere and doesn't get a lot of playing time... now they can transfer without having to "get permission to be released"

Just think.... under these new rules.... the whole Buckingham fiasco, and all the rumors surrounding it... may never have happened. It would just be.... ok Buck opted out and is now free to go wherever he feels..... obviously with a few restrictions (mostly pertaining to conference schools.

7. TampaKAP

TampaKAP Legend Top Member

Just curious, what does a school gain from making an athlete stay that does not want to be there?

8. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend Top Member

Good question... especially since all you gotta do is put restrictions on which schools he can't go to... so that he can't come back and light your team up for 30 (unless of course you somehow face him in the NCAAs, NIT... etc).

9. OvisAries14

OvisAries14 6th Man

if i read it right the school wont be able to restrict which schools the player can go to anymore either

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  10. RonnieDobbs

RonnieDobbs Starter Top Member

I think this is an important point. Conferences can set their own, more restrictive rules. I may be in the minority but I think kids should go wherever they want if they aren't being paid.

rammad90 likes this.
  11. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

12. TampaKAP

So the one thing that is not clear is this. Does this change a schools ability to block certain schools. Yes a conference can make rules like in the A10 if you go from one school to the another A10 school you have to it two years. No where does it confirm or deny that specific schools could be blocked. Previously you could say you have permission to talk to these schools and not these schools. Curious just to know that piece one way or the other

13. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...er-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process

VCU Finance 2008 likes this.
  14. TampaKAP

So any of our former players that wanted to go to JMU should have waited one more year....:lol:. Seriously, thanks for providing that link. I was never a fan of blocking schools.

OvisAries14 and SWV like this.
  15. BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BaNgMyPrOgRaM Legend Top Member

What he said!