New unofficial gathering spot?

Where should the main unofficial gathering spot be?

• City Beach

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Home Team

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Gus's

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Top Golf

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Postbellum

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Figured this deserved a new thread so we can try to come to some sort of a consensus. As long as it's roomy, in the heart of the city, and they will prioritize VCU (with sound) over NFL and everything else, most folks will be happy.

If we can agree on a place, I'm happy to communicate with bar management. Also happy to take a back seat if someone else is doing this.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Has anyone been to new top golf yet? How's the set up for just watching sports, not necessarily hitting balls?

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Figured this deserved a new thread so we can try to come to some sort of a consensus. As long as it's roomy, in the heart of the city, and they will prioritize VCU (with sound) over NFL and everything else, most folks will be happy.
If we can agree on a place, I'm happy to communicate with bar management. Also happy to take a back seat if someone else is doing this.
I’m going with City Beach because I have also talked to them. they have a clientele already. if it happens I’d say they have to see the effort but they are open to it for sure, and we could make it happen.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Gus’s puts the game on a large projection screen, with sound, and many of the other TVs. They get my vote.
Idk.... if there's ever big soccer games on.... you're SOL because soccer trumps everything at that place.... even if it's just a friendly.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Idk.... if there's ever big soccer games on.... you're SOL because soccer trumps everything at that place.... even if it's just a friendly.
Josie and Spiros are accommodating so if they decide to strike a deal for VCU games they might have them on the projector screen. I have watched games there in the past.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Has anyone been to new top golf yet? How's the set up for just watching sports, not necessarily hitting balls?
I have not been there yet. I did go hit them long and straight at the Drive Shack in Goochland. It is similar in that it has a sports bar and TVs everywhere. Top Golf is putting in a putt putt course as well.

May 3, 2012
My vote is for the Local.

Can anyone explain the City beach love?
Been in the Local once. It's not exactly VCU oriented, more like happy hour crew. Not frequented by students and I am on campus more than most folks. Then there's parking which was tight enough at Baja but non-existent at the Local.
Like Baja, City would have more street parking available. Don't know that much else about City, though.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
My vote is for the Local.

Can anyone explain the City beach love?
Size is a good part of it And mgmt willingness to push vcu -both depending on how many people show up. price, proximity, number of tv’s, parking as rams3fan mentioned.
have to admit I haven’t been in the Local, how many people can it hold?

Reactions: BracketForecast
Dec 2, 2012
Size is a good part of it And mgmt willingness to push vcu -both depending on how many people show up. price, proximity, number of tv’s, parking as rams3fan mentioned.
have to admit I haven’t been in the Local, how many people can it hold?
Well, the other poster is right about parking for the Local.

They do have an entire "second room" they could open up and devote to VCU games.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
City beach has great bartenders but a couple of the managers are total dicks. Also, can get kind of a weird crowd in there.

Love the people that work in gus' but service can grind to a halt when it gets full. Place could also use some updates.

I was looking online at the new topgolf and it looks really cool but I just feel wrong in my heart watching vcu games in Henrico (even if it's just over the line)

I voted for home team because their beer bucket specials are solid, food is solid and they have a great tv setup and great patio all while being close to campus.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM