New unofficial gathering spot?

Where should the main unofficial gathering spot be?

• City Beach

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Home Team

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Gus's

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Top Golf

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Postbellum

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Nah, this the VCUramnation forum. This is a binary decision -There has to be one place that is declared the best and all the rest will be inferior. If you do not agree with the keyboard warriors that spend all day here, they will debate you endlessly, give you eye roll emoji's and will demean your intelligence & try to shame you for not being a real fan.
Ha! I am just not sure what fan bar would be best to go watch games. I agree with MM that the owner of an establishment should step up like Jefe did. I know I have enjoyed watching some games at City Beach and Gus' near the Blvd in the past.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Making a couple of calls now to some places letting them know folks are looking for a new home and inviting them to post here.

Feb 14, 2011
You won't ever see me sitting in a chain making a corporation wealthier, and Ima be planning on riding it out at home and putting my hard earned dollars toward making our feral cats well fed, but honestly, it kinda appears to me that the potential new spot(s) in question, should be doing what it takes to woo the fans to them, not the other way around, LOL. That's what always wooed me to Jeff. He reached out in every way possible. Maybe I'm missing something, and maybe one will eventually step up to the plate, but so far I haven't seen one of these joints doing anything remotely near to offer anything to a fanbase like us.
I can't speak for Jeff but I'm speculating that what he did for the VCU fan was more about the fans/relationships than it was the business. Smaller sized Sports Bar type business is like a science, a balance between turning tables with meals and cocktails vs. sports fans taking tables for 3-4 hours and buying draft beer and nacho type food. Professional Servers don't like sports bars because the tips they make per hour is quite low compared to turning tables. However BWW does pretty well with the sports crowds by selection of events shown and the fact they can seat 300 or 400. Half the crowd is there for 4 hours and the other half is in and out in 1 1/2 hours.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
PBR is a good call. Had drinks there a few weeks ago. Nice drink list, staff was courteous and prompt, and easy parking. I voted for Gus’s, but PBR might be better.

Reactions: BracketForecast

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
O'Toole's in Midlothian is now open. I think it would be cool to see the south of the James club have it's own official spot.

Reactions: midloglen

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I can't speak for Jeff but I'm speculating that what he did for the VCU fan was more about the fans/relationships than it was the business. Smaller sized Sports Bar type business is like a science, a balance between turning tables with meals and cocktails vs. sports fans taking tables for 3-4 hours and buying draft beer and nacho type food. Professional Servers don't like sports bars because the tips they make per hour is quite low compared to turning tables. However BWW does pretty well with the sports crowds by selection of events shown and the fact they can seat 300 or 400. Half the crowd is there for 4 hours and the other half is in and out in 1 1/2 hours.
Agree with you, but a point here that is dead honest truth, last four times I've attended BWW for coaches shows, all four people waiting on our table if you can call if that, did so hesitantly and admitted they weren't even servers. I've been in the buiz for nearly 30 years, and never seen anything like it. 2 of those 4 weren't even wait staff, they just came over because we took repeated trips to the hostess asking if anyone was going to want to make some money waiting on out table, after being told we had to approach the bar to order something. This is not even a slight exaggeration. The first time I sat astounded while 6 people hoovered around the hostess area, one was a big dude with a battery operated LED fan in his hands fanning himself, while the joint had people overflowing into it, seating themselves, waiting on someone to take their order, and not one did anything at all while table after table was sat. This was at 3 different BWWs. There's got to be something systematic going on in those joints, LOL. Or not going on...

May 3, 2012
Except the food at BWW is terrible, the main reason we don't do the coach's show. Was a regular at Baja, wouldn't even consider BWW. Like all posts here, it's just the writer's (plus one) opinion.

Reactions: MobileMunchies
May 3, 2012
Ha! I am just not sure what fan bar would be best to go watch games. I agree with MM that the owner of an establishment should step up like Jefe did. I know I have enjoyed watching some games at City Beach and Gus' near the Blvd in the past.
Wasn't some of the reason you went to these places because you couldn't go back to other places...or chose not to?

Feb 1, 2016
I voted for Home Team because I'm familiar with it. With that said, it does get way too crowded.

Like everyone else here, I'm going to miss the hospitality at Baja. The owner just "got" us. Also, every time I went there, it reminded me of way-too-drunken nights when I went to VCU and the joint was called Stonewall Cafe. They made a Baltimore Zoo that could literally kill you, but it was soo damned tasty that you didn't care.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
I voted for Home Team because I'm familiar with it. With that said, it does get way too crowded.

Like everyone else here, I'm going to miss the hospitality at Baja. The owner just "got" us. Also, every time I went there, it reminded me of way-too-drunken nights when I went to VCU and the joint was called Stonewall Cafe. They made a Baltimore Zoo that could literally kill you, but it was soo damned tasty that you didn't care.
Dang Schooners always got me ;) Ah... the good old days.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Joking or not, I wasn't sure, but I thought you said at one time that you weren't going back to Baja because of some incident.
Huh? Ha! I never had an incident other than being superstitious due to VCU losing some games when I watched there.
I wonder if he's referring to the VCU-Ohio State game in the tournament... where the entire back room was filled with VCU fans.... and one crazy Ohio State fan (who was also drinking) who plays poker with a friend of ours AA. I know there were several people (don't remember who in particular though) that night that wanted to fight that guy.... especially after we lost.... and if it hadn't been for Jeff, our friend & a bunch of people who were there from poker that night.... there prob woulda been a few people fighting him.