New unofficial gathering spot?

Where should the main unofficial gathering spot be?

• City Beach

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Home Team

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Gus's

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Top Golf

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Postbellum

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I wonder if he's referring to the VCU-Ohio State game in the tournament... where the entire back room was filled with VCU fans.... and one crazy Ohio State fan (who was also drinking) who plays poker with a friend of ours AA. I know there were several people (don't remember who in particular though) that night that wanted to fight that guy.... especially after we lost.... and if it hadn't been for Jeff, our friend & a bunch of people who were there from poker that night.... there prob woulda been a few people fighting him.
It wasn't me. I was teaching a class at VCU because I remember leaving as students were exiting the Student Union after watching the game. They were not happy so it ruined my evening of watching my recording of the game.

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I don't go out much for away games, but you might want to try the Metro Bar & Grill at 310 N. Robinson. It is not real big, but they have TVs. We went there last week for a VCU trivia contest after the VCU Basketball Tip-Off Reception. Had a great time. The owner was telling us that they have every VCU game on with the SOUND on. So many places don't want to turn up one game. They do. You might want to check it out.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I don't go out much for away games, but you might want to try the Metro Bar & Grill at 310 N. Robinson. It is not real big, but they have TVs. We went there last week for a VCU trivia contest after the VCU Basketball Tip-Off Reception. Had a great time. The owner was telling us that they have every VCU game on with the SOUND on. So many places don't want to turn up one game. They do. You might want to check it out.
Thanks Rick!

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
They also sell surge (the highly caffeinated soda from the 90s) we can be tweaking during the game.

Everyone in there is friendly too, glad to know they show the vcu games. Will definitely check it out.

May 3, 2012
I wonder if he's referring to the VCU-Ohio State game in the tournament... where the entire back room was filled with VCU fans.... and one crazy Ohio State fan (who was also drinking) who plays poker with a friend of ours AA. I know there were several people (don't remember who in particular though) that night that wanted to fight that guy.... especially after we lost.... and if it hadn't been for Jeff, our friend & a bunch of people who were there from poker that night.... there prob woulda been a few people fighting him.
I believe that was it.
They kindly showed that guy the door.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I 200mph hand palmed a guy in the chest who got up in my lady's face one night when coming out of baja. Drunk and bitching about them not serving him, as If Kat had anything to do with it. Walks up and starts yelling in her face, "those btches won't give me a drink!" and stuff. After he finally caught his breath, LOL he started expressing shock I was starting sht with him, as IF I wouldn't when he started poking his finger in my girl's chest. But baja was exempt form ths matter alltogether, it was a drunk dude in the streets of the fan thing.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I believe that was it.
They kindly showed that guy the door.
Yeah that's the only one that comes to mind... I know either that game or the SFA game ending had people mad. As far as the Ohio State fan.... we warned everyone ahead of time about the guy. Hes a cool guy though he does get very animated and like to joke around. If had not been for the mutual friend of AA & I, plus the other people that were there from my usual watch party crew / poker crew from baja.... and most importantly... without Jeff there... there mightve been a fight. The Ohio State fan was just having fun, but some people obviously didn't like it.

Oh well.

Feb 14, 2011
Except the food at BWW is terrible, the main reason we don't do the coach's show. Was a regular at Baja, wouldn't even consider BWW. Like all posts here, it's just the writer's (plus one) opinion.
I've eaten food at BWW maybe twice in my life but seen seen lots of games. Just an example regarding how some smaller sports bars struggle but BWW does pretty well regardless of how bad their food is.

Reactions: MobileMunchies
Feb 14, 2011
Agree with you, but a point here that is dead honest truth, last four times I've attended BWW for coaches shows, all four people waiting on our table if you can call if that, did so hesitantly and admitted they weren't even servers. I've been in the buiz for nearly 30 years, and never seen anything like it. 2 of those 4 weren't even wait staff, they just came over because we took repeated trips to the hostess asking if anyone was going to want to make some money waiting on out table, after being told we had to approach the bar to order something. This is not even a slight exaggeration. The first time I sat astounded while 6 people hoovered around the hostess area, one was a big dude with a battery operated LED fan in his hands fanning himself, while the joint had people overflowing into it, seating themselves, waiting on someone to take their order, and not one did anything at all while table after table was sat. This was at 3 different BWWs. There's got to be something systematic going on in those joints, LOL. Or not going on...
Every time I go to a BWW, regardless of the franchise owner, I wonder how the heck they can stay in business. I guess the choices of beer and sports on the screens makes up for the horrible service and cheap bar food.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Every time I go to a BWW, regardless of the franchise owner, I wonder how the heck they can stay in business. I guess the choices of beer and sports on the screens makes up for the horrible service and cheap bar food.
Reliability. You want to watch the game, BWW is more likely than anywhere else to have the game. They're always going to be the first or second name brought up in the discussion, even if they're not really the first or second-best choice. If you don't have a local go-to, that's your default setting.

Reactions: CAAFan66

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
I was looking online at the new topgolf and it looks really cool but I just feel wrong in my heart watching vcu games in Henrico (even if it's just over the line)
That's Drive Shack. Top Golf is in the city.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
That's Drive Shack. Top Golf is in the city.
Actually Top Golf is on Westwood which is Henrico County. They are developing that area in what they are dubbing Scott's Addition 2.0. I have visted both locations in Goochland (Drive Shack) and Henrico (Top Golf). Top Golf has bars on every floor and a really sweet area to watch sports in their downstairs sports bar and you can even sit on the 3rd floor and watch all the TVs on the ground floor. The Drive Shack also has a couple of sports bars too. To be honest they both beat anyplace in RVA I have seen when it comes to multiple TVs to watch sports. Heck, at Top Golf they even have two monster TVs in the range that you can watch while hitting balls.

May 3, 2012
I would be going some place, not BWW, to watch the VCU games. Even though I play golf decently, I wouldn't be going some place to do both at the same time. They are mutually exclusive events.