TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Let me start by saying I don't say any of the following to make any implications about what you are saying regarding how MR determines what lineups to put on the court.

The two big lineup was most likely neither possible or smart early in the season. Here are some of the reason I make that assessment.
  • Hason was not ready to be counted on in meaningful game minutes.
    • He was not here all summer to practice with the team and learn the defensive side of the ball
    • His basketball IQ in general was less than ideal as he only has about 4 years of organized basketball experience
    • Unless MR was going to run zone and let Hason cover the paint, he was going to be mostly ineffective as a defender when outside of the paint. Fortunately he appears to be a fast learner and easily coached by a talented staff and has improved greatly
  • According to MR, Corey is finally the healthiest he has been
    • MR coached Corey as a freshman at Rice where he sustained an injury. This past knowledge and the relationship with Corey and discussions wit the trainer give me great insight as to how to "manage" Corey
I also like the two big lineup but I think the decisions have to be situational. Not to get ahead of ourselves but playing the two big lineup will be most important if we want to advance past the first weekend in March.

Mar 1, 2015
You know what RI going to do - snowplow. It’s not even a matter of stopping their frontcourt, all they do is rebound and pick. Need something to get in their guard/wings way and occupy some space down low.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Let me start by saying I don't say any of the following to make any implications about what you are saying regarding how MR determines what lineups to put on the court.

The two big lineup was most likely neither possible or smart early in the season. Here are some of the reason I make that assessment.
  • Hason was not ready to be counted on in meaningful game minutes.
    • He was not here all summer to practice with the team and learn the defensive side of the ball
    • His basketball IQ in general was less than ideal as he only has about 4 years of organized basketball experience
    • Unless MR was going to run zone and let Hason cover the paint, he was going to be mostly ineffective as a defender when outside of the paint. Fortunately he appears to be a fast learner and easily coached by a talented staff and has improved greatly
  • According to MR, Corey is finally the healthiest he has been
    • MR coached Corey as a freshman at Rice where he sustained an injury. This past knowledge and the relationship with Corey and discussions wit the trainer give me great insight as to how to "manage" Corey
I also like the two big lineup but I think the decisions have to be situational. Not to get ahead of ourselves but playing the two big lineup will be most important if we want to advance past the first weekend in March.
I think this is all spot on. I do think it's much easier for us to do this lineup NOW than it was previously. But now that we can, I personally hope we go to it more and more.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Hey let's not get hung up on the phrase "new wrinkle" or even the history of Mike playing two bigs. Let's just take these numbers and know we are destroying people with two bigs and are surviving a group of Bona, St. Joe's, Richmond and La Salle without. I choose destroy!

Aug 7, 2012
Why did it take so long to figure this out? So many of you on this board pointed out the need for two bigs months ago! Props to you all!
I think 2 things happened. The first is definitely true... Vince Williams is injured. Rhoades has had to play Douglas and MSS together more out of necessity. I hope he sticks with this when Vince comes back, though that means his minutes would be cut significantly. I like the Douglas/MSS combo better than either Vince/MSS or Vince/Douglas. They definitely can’t all 3 be on the floor together.

The second thing that happened is more speculation on my part, but I’m guessing that Rhoades might be starting to feel more confident in using Ward if one of the other bigs gets in foul trouble. Maybe he’s starting to get it more in practice and impress them more in his limited minutes. If that’s the case, then they can roll the dice more and play Douglas and MSS together.

May 4, 2012
It's new to this year's team.

Can you add up how many minutes we played any combo of Corey, MSS and Hasan over our first 18 games?

Also Sean being 6'9 last year did not make him a "big". He shot more threes than twos as a Ram and ranked seventh on last year's team in offensive rebound percentage and sixth on last year's team in defensive rebound percentage (and tied for fifth in blocks percentage). He was big, but not "a big". We have yet to have this combination of good defensive bigs under Rhoades. We had big guys, but no one who could defend and do what this trio can do.
First 15 no but 15% over the last 5 games