TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
For me, I don't think the current roster of 3 is a problem. I also believe that we are only having this discussion because due to factors beyond our control, Hason arrived late. Based on his current progression, if he had been able to be here all summer, he would be getting more minutes.

Now, I think its critical to use the final spot for a big. I also think one if not both of the 2021 scholly should be bigs, The only way I wouldn't take two bigs in 2021 is of I could get some other Top 75 program changing player

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Incidental anecdote about bigs, I found out recently that a lady I've interacted with from time to time at my customer site in Maryland has a son that plays for Maryland (Jalen "Sticks" Smith). Had I known earlier I'd have been working her over to send him to VCU! That kid is elite, definitely a first rounder this year, likely a lottery pick, and he's only a sophomore. She told me that him and Ace are good friends, have played with and against each other since elementary school days in Baltimore. Now that I think of it, I'll have to ask her if she has any younger sons!

Reactions: mrgeode and Newboy
Aug 7, 2012
For me, I don't think the current roster of 3 is a problem. I also believe that we are only having this discussion because due to factors beyond our control, Hason arrived late. Based on his current progression, if he had been able to be here all summer, he would be getting more minutes.

Now, I think its critical to use the final spot for a big. I also think one if not both of the 2021 scholly should be bigs, The only way I wouldn't take two bigs in 2021 is of I could get some other Top 75 program changing player
We should add a big in 2020 IF he’s the kind of prospect that will succeed here. That kind of player will be rare and hard to get this late in the process. I don’t want us adding a big just to add a big and then have him take up a roster spot for 2-3 years before transferring out. We’ve seen that story before.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I am an advocate for a two-big front court, at least a substantial amount of the time, moving forward. I think we will also see this next year. That said, it's a no-brainer as to why Mike did not employ this on a wholesale basis much earlier. We only have 3-bigs and Hason was in the developmental stage and adjusting to the speed of the game. Basketball 101 folks. Think of what would have transpired if MSS and CD were playing together and BOTH got in foul trouble. Now Hason is ready. It amazes me how the basketball savants on this board like to take a shot at the coach so often. Most of the time the criticisms are baseless and often senseless. Mike knows exactly what he is doing.

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
Douglas is a red shirt junior.
Technically, Douglas is not a red shirt Junior. He should/could be considered a Senior(based on credits earned), playing with Junior status. He never redshirted officially, but was given a NCAA Medical Redshirt Exemption (which doesn't count towards the 5 years to play 4 rule of eligibility). He played 9 games at Rice, before being injured. Instead of transferring to VCU with MR and redshirting, he chose to play Junior College ball for one year which now counted as his first year of eligibility. Now, in his 2nd year at VCU, he has one remaining year of eligibility, unless of course, he were to redshirt in the future for any reason. Cory also had a postgrad year at Fork Union. Born in '96, he is currently 23 years old and will turn 24 this coming July.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienAiden

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
We should add a big in 2020 IF he’s the kind of prospect that will succeed here. That kind of player will be rare and hard to get this late in the process. I don’t want us adding a big just to add a big and then have him take up a roster spot for 2-3 years before transferring out. We’ve seen that story before.
I hear you and I don't disagree.
  • I do think the staff has shown they are willing to "adjust" the roster make up when the right situation presents itself
  • If we don't bring in a big, then we go into 2021 with Hason as a junior and.......
    • one or more unproven freshmen
    • a possible Juco or transfer new to the system
Feels like a bigger gamble not to bring someone in, even if we have to make a tough decision later

Aug 7, 2012
I hear you and I don't disagree.
  • I do think the staff has shown they are willing to "adjust" the roster make up when the right situation presents itself
  • If we don't bring in a big, then we go into 2021 with Hason as a junior and.......
    • one or more unproven freshmen
    • a possible Juco or transfer new to the system
Feels like a bigger gamble not to bring someone in, even if we have to make a tough decision later
IMO, it’s much more likely that we can get a good option for 2021-22 through a traditional transfer this offseason that has to sit out next season than through recruiting a high school kid this offseason late in the process or bringing in a graduate transfer after next season. Those latter 2 options are very limited and the competition is tough. Our best shot is a P5 big man that’s not getting the minutes and is being recruited over.

Reactions: rammad90