News News About RAMS In The Pros

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Until he sings a contract he isnt locked in. Typically, teams need bodies to fill their summer league rosters, and they use it as a chance to get an up close look at players on the fringe.

Players have actually changed teams during the summer. Cant remember who but one of our former guys played for two different franchises one summer. It may have been Bri.

Fwiw, I am sure Tilly doesnt care who he signs with as long as he is in the League.
I don’t care who he signs with either, but I’d like for him to have as many options as possible and get an actual 1-2 year contract instead of a 2 way deal.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
I don’t care who he signs with either, but I’d like for him to have as many options as possible and get an actual 1-2 year contract instead of a 2 way deal.
Any team can sign summer league players who aren’t already on an NBA roster. There’s a couple guys every year that kill it in the summer league for a team that doesn’t have a spot for them, and they immediately get signed by another team. Every single second of those games is closely scouted by all 30 NBA teams.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Any team can sign summer league players who aren’t already on an NBA roster. There’s a couple guys every year that kill it in the summer league for a team that doesn’t have a spot for them, and they immediately get signed by another team. Every single second of those games is closely scouted by all 30 NBA teams.
Bingo. Justin could be playing for the Wizards in the summer league but he’ll be watched by all 29 other teams as well. In fact, scouts tend to make up most of the audience at summer league games.

rammad90

Elite Member
Agreed. Which I think is why we both have issues with the current status of 2nd round draft picks.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Agreed. Which I think is why we both have issues with the current status of 2nd round draft picks.
I’m hoping things work out for Vince and being drafted is a massive accomplishment for him and the program, but as I said in another thread he’s in a tough spot where the Grizzlies have 2 first round draft picks at the same position that will have guaranteed contracts for 2 years. I’m betting that they plan on stashing him in the G League with a 2 way contract for a couple years and see how he develops. They won’t have much invested and will have first dibs if he becomes an NBA player.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I just hope they give Tillman enough time on the court during Summer League to show what he can do. I remember a number of years ago, they invited Burgess (I think it was Burgess) to play in the summer league but he was basically just used to fill out the roster. The summer league is filled with a lot of "I" play rather than "team" play. He is going to have to be very aggressive on the boards and with putbacks. There are going to be a lot of draft rookies out there trying to showcase their, "I can score" mentality rather than get to a wide open guy down low waving for the ball.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Like most of you I suspect, I haven't watched Justin in a full game since he was here, but the clips I have seen show a very different, improved player. He was always a fluid-mover and a superb athlete, but his stroke (which is still, um, idiosyncratic) is vastly superior and he looks to be far more of an inside/outside threat now. And his handle has improved as well. It may only be a puncher's chance, but I do think he's got a shot to hang on, either with the Wiz or elsewhere. Great opportunity for him

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Like most of you I suspect, I haven't watched Justin in a full game since he was here, but the clips I have seen show a very different, improved player. He was always a fluid-mover and a superb athlete, but his stroke (which is still, um, idiosyncratic) is vastly superior and he looks to be far more of an inside/outside threat now. And his handle has improved as well. It may only be a puncher's chance, but I do think he's got a shot to hang on, either with the Wiz or elsewhere. Great opportunity for him
I've seen a few of his G League games. He's an absolute double-double machine. His game has evolved from when he was here.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The good thing about JT that the strengths of his game (defense and rebounding) aren't dependent on others.
The bad thing about his game is that he’s a tweener without a real NBA position. He doesn’t have the size to play the 5. He doesn’t have the shot or ball handling to play the 3 (though this is the position he’d be suited best for based on his size). He has to play the 4 despite being a bit undersized and not being a great pick and roll option. It’s hard for a 6’7-8 guy that doesn’t have NBA 3 point range to get teams to give him a chance on a roster spot.

rammad90

Elite Member
The bad thing about his game is that he’s a tweener without a real NBA position. He doesn’t have the size to play the 5. He doesn’t have the shot or ball handling to play the 3 (though this is the position he’d be suited best for based on his size). He has to play the 4 despite being a bit undersized and not being a great pick and roll option. It’s hard for a 6’7-8 guy that doesn’t have NBA 3 point range to get teams to give him a chance on a roster spot.
That is unless he is a rebounding machine and a Elite Defender. They say shooting is the easiest skill to teach. Maybe he puts in a lot of work and becomes serviceable from deep.

Not saying he is anywhere near Magic but Magic learned to shoot a set shot from Deep and actually shot about at the 35% clip over his last 3 years. (averaging the 4 years). The previous 9 season he averaged about 19.15%. The shot can be worked on and serviceable fro a guy who will be at the end of the bench.

The real issue is as you stat he's a tweener, he has got to prove that he can defend 2-4. If he can and he puts in work, he can do it.

As I have stated before, I didnt like his game when he was at VCU. Even in his Senior year I thought we focused too much on him to the detriment of the team's development. (it was our worse hear in a while). However, this guy has improved every year since he left VCU. He isnt nearly the same player. I think he has a shot. Its up to him but I like that Detroit fire and am pulling for him.

Go JT. Go Rams!

cabell

Insider

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member