NIL impact on the program question

Would NIL talk just go in the recruiting forum, or would general talk about NIL and the impact on college hoops, specifically as it pertains to attracting kids to VCU , be talked about here?

And can anybody on her flesh this out a little as to what's going on?

I have to think that VCu's bigger fanbase will give us a leg up over everyone in state except UVA.

Deion Sanders snagging that kid for Jackson State made me wonder if we could pull off some recruiting upsets?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
On the way home I heard Ace Baldwin and Nick Kern on a radio commercial. I was talking about the NIL last night and a friend told me that every single offensive lineman for Texas gets $50,000 per year. If any business wants to pony up the opportunity is there. Not sure how a thread is gonna hash things out.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Would NIL talk just go in the recruiting forum, or would general talk about NIL and the impact on college hoops, specifically as it pertains to attracting kids to VCU , be talked about here?

And can anybody on her flesh this out a little as to what's going on?

I have to think that VCu's bigger fanbase will give us a leg up over everyone in state except UVA.

Deion Sanders snagging that kid for Jackson State made me wonder if we could pull off some recruiting upsets?
Idk how much NIL has to do with Deion getting the recruit to commit to Jackson State. Deion ain't the one that's gonna pony up the money to pay this kid. It would be a sponsor.... like Nike, Gatorade, Adidas, WWE (yes they've given out about a dozen NILs), among other companies. Deion has nothing to do with the NIL bit.

My guess is the kid had a change of heart & decided to go to Jackson State. Jackson State just went 11-1 on the regular season, won the SWAC and have a bowl game this Saturday. And they only gave up 20 points 1 time this year. Even in their 1 loss... the score was 12-7. FSU on the other hand has been mediocre or awful the last few years.

And who wouldn't love to play for Deion?

While FSU may be the bigger school & under any other circumstances would get the kid bigger exposure.... I think he'll get a lot of exposure at Jackson State because of Deion Sanders himself.... especially if Jackson State has another year like this year.

Last edited:

Ramaste

Elite Member
On the way home I heard Ace Baldwin and Nick Kern on a radio commercial. I was talking about the NIL last night and a friend told me that every single offensive lineman for Texas gets $50,000 per year. If any business wants to pony up the opportunity is there. Not sure how a thread is gonna hash things out.
Vince had one last night as well. Good for them.

Idk how much NIL has to do with Deion getting the recruit to commit to Jackson State. Deion ain't the one that's gonna pony up the money to pay this kid. It would be a sponsor.... like Nike, Gatorade, Adidas, WWE (yes they've given out about a dozen NILs), among other companies. Deion has nothing to do with the NIL bit.

My guess is the kid had a change of heart & decided to go to Jackson State. Jackson State just went 11-1 on the regular season, won the SWAC and have a bowl game this Saturday. And they only gave up 20 points 1 time this year. Even in their 1 loss... the score was 12-7.

While FSU may be the bigger school & under any other circumstances would get the kid bigger exposure.... I think he'll get a lot of exposure at Jackson State because of Deion Sanders himself.... especially if Jackson State has another year like this year.
IDK how much it ACTUALLY has to do with it, but the rumours made me wonder what VCU was doing with it.

Edited to add:
I am really looking forward to Mooney pitching a kid on the UR NIL opportunities: "Sure you can go to VCU and endorse pizza places, but here you can do old folks home, pre need burial services, and we have the red sweater vest endorsements on lock down".

Ramdog

Elite Member
Nothing more than getting paid to play...

PRock

Elite Member
Insider

My guess is the kid had a change of heart & decided to go to Jackson State. Jackson State just went 11-1 on the regular season, won the SWAC and have a bowl game this Saturday. And they only gave up 20 points 1 time this year. Even in their 1 loss... the score was 12-7. FSU on the other hand has been mediocre or awful the last few years.

And who wouldn't love to play for Deion?

NIL had everything to do with it—- Deion is great, but a top five recruit in the nation likely as a two-way player, doesn’t make this move if the money isn’t lined up right. I believe Deion made that point, that NIL provides the opportunity to level the playing field for programs that don’t already have multi-million dollar facilities.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Nothing more than getting paid to play...
Or not, Quinn Ewers made $1MM as a redshirt at Ohio State, now he goes to Texas and he’ll probably end up making $4MM plus by the time he is eligible for the NFL draft in two years.

This just hit me, I wonder how the student body and faculty at these P5s are going to feel when they start seeing players driving around in exotic cars on campus. Watch there be some sort of backlash some years down the line because of it.

I'm not saying I have a problem with it, but I sure as heck bet others will.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
This just hit me, I wonder how the student body and faculty at these P5s are going to feel when they start seeing players driving around in exotic cars on campus. Watch there be some sort of backlash some years down the line because of it.

Go to any major football power and this is already a reality and a running joke……I think most college students and fans see it as part of the deal, only the NCAA and some school admins seem to have a problem with it.

rampart

Elite Member
NIL had everything to do with it—- Deion is great, but a top five recruit in the nation likely as a two-way player, doesn’t make this move if the money isn’t lined up right. I believe Deion made that point, that NIL provides the opportunity to level the playing field for programs that don’t already have multi-million dollar facilities.
They may rethink the NIL policy after this. I'm sure the goal was to help the rich get richer, not to help the little guys.

Ramaholic

Elite Member

I see the 4 groups of people that view college sports thru 4 different lenses.
1. Indifference. People that do not give a hoot one way or the other.
2. Fanboys (and girls). We have a tiny few on here and the +FB page is loaded with them. Girls I get idolizing male athletes; talented, fit bodies, top of the college dominance hierarchy... But guys??!! I don't get the idolize/ "defend them till death" mentality. Men should be building there lives/ families -not worshiping other men. Regardless, these are important to a successful program.
3. Supporters -Well adjusted people that support there teams and athletes bc they see them as an extension of themselves and what they believe in. Not all are rich, but all are well adjusted and take soveriegnity over there own lives. These supporters apply the same dedication and effort they expect from there team to their own families and careers. As a result they (along with fanboys/ girls) are backbone of any successful program.
4. Haters. People that get jealous of the status and assets these athletes/ programs have. We have a small number of haters here that poke there heads out when things start to slip. These people are usually unhappy with there own life.

Anyways, the only people that will have jealousy issues with it are haters. And they suck anyway and should be ignored.

Last edited: