NIL impact on the program question

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Bad example on my part.
But how many big time recruits think about VCU, then pass? Some one getting a decent NIL $ from the Ram Fans could tip it.
One sure fire subset of that would be when we "rent" a senior or grad who come in for one year and fills a gap.
We could win a lot of those races over the rest of the A10.
Go to the "former Rams" thread, look at the ones who left us before they graduated, then think about which ones would have been nice to keep.
Sure it would be nice to get some higher level recruits at VCU.... absolutely.... but at what cost? And I don't mean monetarily.

Just look at the last 5 years or so.... and everything that's gone on.

The drama/conflict/transfers etc. Remember when everything happened Bones' freshman year.... there was a rumor going around (Idk if it's fact or just a rumor).... that players were getting mad because Bones was coming in and stealing their playing time & spotlight or what not.

Again Idk how much truth, if any, there is to that... but why would we go from fine, doing well to all of a sudden falling off a frigging cliff outta nowhere & one player leaving the team with a few games left outta nowhere if there was nothing going on behind the scenes?

And I don't even wanna get into the MSS stuff again... whether it was his decision, his families decision or what the reason for his decision was. Whoever's decision it was, ultimately he made the decision to leave us & go to Texas Tech.

And believe me... I follow the former Rams thread a lot.... when Mike Gilmore left us & went to Miami (FL), then FGCU before coming back here... I was keeping up with that.... Heck I remember talking to another former Ram, Antravious Simmons who left us to go to FGCU, and remember talking to him about the possibility of Mike going to FGCU when it was announced he was leaving Miami (FL).... and I know Simmons was def in talks with him & sure enough he ended up at FGCU. I also remember following Jairus Lyles especially while at UMBC & he was owning... and of course we all saw him lead UMBC to the first 16 over 1 upset in NCAA history. I also am good friends with Justin Tuoyo (one I def wish we woulda kept)... who left to go to Chattanooga with WW when he got his first head coaching job. Unfortunately he couldn't transfer back when WW came back to replace Shaka.... cause I woulda loved to have Tuoyo back especially after he became a monster at UTC. Also helped get Tuoyo on the RamNation TBT one summer as a late add.

So yeah, trust me I know all about former Rams, and how some of them absolutely it woulda been nice to keep.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I know the low hanging fruit currently is to say X recruit didn't come to VCU because of NIL. I don't believe that is totally true. Considering freshmen only, the current class 2022 is the 2nd best class since the 2014 class if you look at rankings versus all schools. the 2022 Class is #46 in composite ranking. the 2014 class was #25 in composite rankings. (This using using data from 2003 to present.) If the 2023 class is anywhere between a composite ranking of 64-80, we will still be within our mean avg over the past 15 plus years.
I think what is different now is a combination of the level of recruits we are pursuing and the instant availability of information, good or bad, via social media. Nothing readily suggest that we suddenly are not getting recruits we otherwise would have gotten. if anything the data is showing on avg our quality as it relates to "stars" is trending upward.

In College basketball the best team in terms of talent doesn't always win.

True but if you don’t have it you won’t be winning a championship. Sure you’ll have a team occasionally make a run mainly a senior type team but quite simply a very talented team always is dangerous. Look at what a talent like Bones did. He made us way better than we actually were and that’s one great talent. Look at the effects of Bones leaving. We went from A10 tourney finalists to punted in the first round in a blowout with a historically bad offense. You have to have talent to win in this era.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I know the low hanging fruit currently is to say X recruit didn't come to VCU because of NIL. I don't believe that is totally true. Considering freshmen only, the current class 2022 is the 2nd best class since the 2014 class if you look at rankings versus all schools. the 2022 Class is #46 in composite ranking. the 2014 class was #25 in composite rankings. (This using using data from 2003 to present.) If the 2023 class is anywhere between a composite ranking of 64-80, we will still be within our mean avg over the past 15 plus years.
I think what is different now is a combination of the level of recruits we are pursuing and the instant availability of information, good or bad, via social media. Nothing readily suggest that we suddenly are not getting recruits we otherwise would have gotten. if anything the data is showing on avg our quality as it relates to "stars" is trending upward.
I think we will still be able to recruit but NIL will be more of an issue trying to retain players. Will guys prove themselves here and then get hired away in the offseason?

To be honest I imagine NIL will improve as we win, players become more marketable, but we have to win first.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
To be honest I imagine NIL will improve as we win, players become more marketable, but we have to will first.
Yes! Generally Winning & Winning consistently solves a lot of things.

Go back and look at recruiting before the Final 4 & immediately after.... and you'll notice a big difference just looking at High School Recruiting rankings. Heck you can probably see a difference between the years leading up to "the dagger" and compare it to the years leading up to the Final 4.

Look at the dramatic increase in number of applicants & students in general at VCU over the years especially right after the Final 4. After that run... VCU blew up from all the National exposure... not just from the team's run... but the Peppas being on Good Morning America & other stuff as well.

And certainly look at ticket sales.... Go back & look before "the dagger" and immediate after... may not be a huge increase but I'd be willing to bet there was an increase. Then go look at the years right before the Final 4 run.... and the years right after. There was a DRAMATIC Increase in ticket sales... both season tickets & single game ticket sales..... hence why we had so many sellouts (ones that were actual sellouts, not just puritan cleaners/saxon shoes buying up 1-2000 unbought tickets).

If VCU can get back to winning consistently, win a confernce tournament more than once every 6-7 years (haven't won one since 2015).... and can start advancing to the 2nd weekend every so often (only ever done once in school history).... then recruiting, ticket sales, donations, NIL money, etc. will solve itself over time.

Last edited:

RAMification

Elite Member
Why are people assuming that VCU will automatically lose recruits because of NIL. Is NIL a problem - yes as it is for most Mid-Majors and a number of High-Majors. That said, in the general national range that we recruit in (75-150) it is not a game breaker. Many of the kids in that range have projected NIL's that are very doable. Just some for instances - Dylan James has a projected NIL of 8.6K., Silas Demary, Jr. 11.3K, Dennis Parker (not a VCU target) 11.9K. Just some examples of projected NIL's. Of course you will always run into desperate coaches on the hot-seat that may do most anything to save their job. The point is VCU has people more than capable of stepping-up in this arena. Most 3* prospects have minimal if any NIL expectations. Schools will have to make adjustments. If you have donors at the $25,000.00 level they could give the school $20,000.00 directly and maybe $5,000.00 NIL to a player. You likely will have only 2/3 recruits a year in the serious NIL category. The pool of money does not have to be that significant as long as you don't compete for the Bronny James of the world. I think his projected NIL is about 7.3 million. The top 50 guys like Elmarko are just off the charts. No way to compete there, at least in terms of NIL.

Why are people assuming that VCU will automatically lose recruits because of NIL. Is NIL a problem - yes as it is for most Mid-Majors and a number of High-Majors. That said, in the general national range that we recruit in (75-150) it is not a game breaker. Many of the kids in that range have projected NIL's that are very doable. Just some for instances - Dylan James has a projected NIL of 8.6K., Silas Demary, Jr. 11.3K, Dennis Parker (not a VCU target) 11.9K. Just some examples of projected NIL's. Of course you will always run into desperate coaches on the hot-seat that may do most anything to save their job. The point is VCU has people more than capable of stepping-up in this arena. Most 3* prospects have minimal if any NIL expectations. Schools will have to make adjustments. If you have donors at the $25,000.00 level they could give the school $20,000.00 directly and maybe $5,000.00 NIL to a player. You likely will have only 2/3 recruits a year in the serious NIL category. The pool of money does not have to be that significant as long as you don't compete for the Bronny James of the world. I think his projected NIL is about 7.3 million. The top 50 guys like Elmarko are just off the charts. No way to compete there, at least in terms of NIL.
11.3 K, can I get 11.9 ? Are we bidding on a dinning room table at an estate auction?

Ramdog

Elite Member
Auburn has put a hold on their new basketball facility so the money can be used to fund NIL

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Auburn has put a hold on their new basketball facility so the money can be used to fund NIL
Would you like to add some context to that? Like why Auburn is doing it and its not so they can steal basketball recruits from VCU….