NIL impact on the program question

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Probably for football.
Actually its for all sports, especially for non revenue and sports that don’t have full scholarships for complete roster. For example they referenced Baseball that has only 11.7 scholarships. They have initiatives to use NIL to help in those areas. They want all sports to be competitive at that level not just the ones that turn a profit

Last edited:

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Blessing in retaining guys that likely would be looking at some P-6 , or Euro, or G-league. Also a blessing for some really struggling kids. A curse if you wanted to live in fantasyland and believe a billion dollar business can be simple and pure.

Ramdog

Elite Member
So…you are just bound and determined to be an agent of misinformation regarding NIL.
Wtf are you talking about...

there's an article where Bruce Pearl is suggesting that donors divert funds form the basketball practice facility project to the NIL

If that is misinformation blame the author of the article

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
there's an article where Bruce Pearl is suggesting that donors divert funds form the basketball practice facility project to the NIL
thats an interesting idea....

On one hand the facilities can be used as a recruiting tool to lure the recruits... but if you can recruit top tier players & start winning more often & going deep in the tourney more.... you'll start getting more & more donors/season ticket holders & current donors could increase their donations. Which then could allow you to donate to both at same time theoretically.

Why do you have to choose? You can have both. Just charge more in tuition and fees. That money can then be borrowed from the government. Will it be repaid ? Who knows. Does it matter? IDK.

Yeah that’s just make the students front more of the athletic expenses while working to survive in order to fund their fellow students getting paid. That won’t create bad feelings and piss off potential students as well as their families.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Wtf are you talking about...

If that is misinformation blame the author of the article
Did you read the article? The purpose was to be able to help all sports especially those without enough scholarships to be able to make those competitive at that level. It was not a basketball driven decision

I thought the entry point of NIL was for the athletes to profit from their name by whatever means they can dig up outside of the schools. I would think athletic departments will have some limited staff available to help facilitate that. What university funds could be shifted to NIL purposes? Athletic departments are actually under the larger academic umbrella, or is being dissolved as well?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I thought the entry point of NIL was for the athletes to profit from their name by whatever means they can dig up outside of the schools. I would think athletic departments will have some limited staff available to help facilitate that. What university funds could be shifted to NIL purposes? Athletic departments are actually under the larger academic umbrella, or is being dissolved as well?
In the case of Auburn, I don’t believe they are trying to shift university funds to NIL. Auburn has a couple of initiatives. Spirit is their exchange, like the one VCU has to connect athletes with entities. The alumni also started one called On To Victory to raise money to help support NIL deals. I believe the desire is that instead of donors giving to the new basket ball facility, donate instead to On To Victory. They used baseball in one example where they have only 11.7 scholarships (combination of full and partial) where they rotate through the players each year. Because they can’t guarantee a full four year ride, they want to help themselves by making NIL deals available to recruit and retain the right level of talent to compete at the level they want to be

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I wonder if any of these student athletes (especially the mid majors) or 3rd party marketing companies are going to actively solicit corporations and sell them on the value they can bring to their company if given an NIL deal.