NIT Bracketology

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I know I know I know I know...we're all still dreaming about the NCAA tournament. A magical four days in Brooklyn could certainly make that happen, but right now, realistically we're an NIT team, so here's what John Templon who does bracket projections for midmajormadness.com has that looking like as of today.

Obviously this sucks a bit because we went from in the field to quickly falling out of the NIT (down to a projected 6 seed there). Either way, obviously rooting for an NCAA tourney bid that comes via an A-10 title, but if that's not the case, I'd love this level of hoops for our young guys to be able to use as a springboard into next season, kinda like the CBI did for us back in 2010 heading into 2011.

NITBracket.png

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
One thing that sucks about this current bracket is as a lower seed we'd be the road team. Was hoping if the NIT was our future we'd at least get some home games out of it and hopefully a trip to MSG. I suppose there's still time to change that.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
2 weeks ago we were a 9 or 10 seed on most NCAA brackets. Now we are a 6 seed in the NIT and hoping we don't fall further before the season is over. That's so darn depressing.
We were between an 11 and first four out before the Mason game. Still depressing though.

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
We were between an 11 and first four out before the Mason game. Still depressing though.
Depends on the bracket.
I think we were on about 75 brackets on bracketmatrix (only about 80 were reporting at the time). Now we are on one bracket out of 102.
Palm had us as a 9 or 10 seed. Lunardi had us as 10 or 11.
NET was around 31 (now 57)
BartTovik was 32 (now 58)
Kenpom was around 39 (now 64)

Again, this is a difference of only 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'd be thrilled w an NIT bid at this point. Would mean we didn't continue the tank job for the rest of the season. At this point I see it as unlikely.
The naysayers have been saying that we wont make the NCAA tourney and that we are an NIT team, but few realize that is no guarantee. At this point we would have to finish strong to get an NIT home game.

Reactions: mrA10
Aug 7, 2012
If team chemistry is really bad, we have injuries, and we wouldn’t even have a home game, then I’d turn down the NIT.

I would pull the plug on this season, do exit interviews with the seniors, and start giving the underclassmen things to work on in the offseason.

And get the coaches out there recruiting any JUCO and graduate transfers that are in the portal.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If team chemistry is really bad, we have injuries, and we wouldn’t even have a home game, then I’d turn down the NIT.

I would pull the plug on this season, do exit interviews with the seniors, and start giving the underclassmen things to work on in the offseason.

And get the coaches out there recruiting any JUCO and graduate transfers that are in the portal.
We don't quit.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009

From a recruiting standpoint I could see your point about not playing in the NIT.... but otherwise I completely disagree.... and like I said the other day... any post season tourney outside of the NCAA Tournament... I would use it as extra games for our younger players to get them more real time game action. Heck, other than having to pay for home games I'd be ok with CBI or CIT also.... but I def would not turn down the NIT.

You can still use your seniors in these other tourneys, but use the extra game(s) & practices to help develop your younger players more.

And as far as NIT, you know fans are still going to travel to these games..... so why not? I mean, looking at the bracket that Natty posted.... who wouldn't take a trip to Memphis?

Just my opinion.