NIT Bracketology

Aug 7, 2012
Winning the NIT last year was a springboard for Texas this year.
If the bracket at the top holds true, then it might springboard them all the way to a second round NIT game in Richmond. I’m not sure who their coach would be though.

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
@SWV I don't quit either!

ETA: Well one game earlier this season when I left the room for the 2nd Half. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: SWV

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
@SWV I don't quit either!

ETA: Well one game earlier this season when I left the room for the 2nd Half. :lol:
Sometimes I have to stop watching to protect my mental health--like Friday. I didn't watch the second half, but kept up via Twitter and this message board. That's about all I could take on Friday, lol.

Reactions: RamStrut

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Sometimes I have to stop watching to protect my mental health--like Friday. I didn't watch the second half, but kept up via Twitter and this message board. That's about all I could take on Friday, lol.
Wait... so you gave up on watching the actual game.... for looking at Twitter & Here??? One might argue, it woulda been better to just watch the game.... especially knowing things that sometimes get posted on social media.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Wait... so you gave up on watching the actual game.... for looking at Twitter & Here??? One might argue, it woulda been better to just watch the game.... especially knowing things that sometimes get posted on social media.
I did. The VCU Ramnation Twitter does a good job of making game updates. There are posters on here that I trust to be accurate about what's happening, others--eh, just the usual blowing steam. My mental health is better preserved not actually watching a train wreck.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk
Jan 8, 2020
This is one of the saddest threads I've ever seen on ramnation. there is still games to be played and a tournament we can win. Also, nobody cares about dumb NIT bracketology. please delete. thanks
Barring a four-game sweep in Brooklyn, I think the NIT would be a good fall-back for us. As others have posted, it would allow the younger guys to progress and get more practice time. Losing a first-round NCAA game is rather sobering in itself. At least we might win a couple NIT games if this team gets its act back together. Lots of P 5 teams in the projected field. What would be so bad about playing a couple of them? Having said that, I know the money from an NCAA tournament bid far outweighs the NIT. But it might be our only salvation this year.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Attached is an updated Dratings.com Bracketology 2020 projection with the NIT listed at the bottom. This one has VCU a #4 seed, fur a #1 seed, SLU a #5 seed and Duquesne a #8 seed.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
I know baseball/basketball analogies don't always hold up, but....

The STL Cardinals have always had a policy that in September, when minor league call-ups are allowed, if their AAA team is in the minor league playoffs, they leave their top prospects on the minor league team. The reasoning is that even though it's the minor league playoffs, it is good for young players to experience the intensity and pressure of postseason play; it conditions them for what is expected at the major league level.

I think with our youth movement, if the NIT is an option it would benefit our young players to experience March basketball.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Attached is another NIT projection from The Barking Crow. This one has VCU a #5 seed playing the first round game at South Carolina.

Reactions: RamStrut

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
If team chemistry is really bad, we have injuries, and we wouldn’t even have a home game, then I’d turn down the NIT.

I would pull the plug on this season, do exit interviews with the seniors, and start giving the underclassmen things to work on in the offseason.

And get the coaches out there recruiting any JUCO and graduate transfers that are in the portal.
As much as I hate not making the NCAA Tournament, there's no way we'd turn down an NIT invite. We are not above it and we could get the youngins some extra experience.