Players Obinnaya Okafor (6’9 forward) walking on at VCU.

smiley4284

Elite Member
☑️Ivy League IQ ☑️Boo Williams Like many lost his junior year to Covid. Doing some research we might have a gem. Instead of going prep. Decided to come to VCU. Why not train in the BDC and get that D-1 competition. Guy runs the floor well. Known for blocking shots and rebounding. White jerz #1

SteveMM

Elite Member
Opportunities at Brown, Cornell, and Harvard are pretty dang impressive.
It's obvious the kid is really, really smart and has some skills. The issue is that Ivy League schools, like D3 programs, do not offer athletic scholarships. They'll find you some money due to financial need (which VCU will do too, I'm sure) but it may come down to a matter of not wanting to pay to play in the Ivies and not being interested in a scholarship to Hampton. Maybe he views a walk-on year at VCU as a way of improving his scholarship opportunities without paying the Ivy League bill?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
It's obvious the kid is really, really smart and has some skills. The issue is that Ivy League schools, like D3 programs, do not offer athletic scholarships. They'll find you some money due to financial need (which VCU will do too, I'm sure) but it may come down to a matter of not wanting to pay to play in the Ivies and not being interested in a scholarship to Hampton. Maybe he views a walk-on year at VCU as a way of improving his scholarship opportunities without paying the Ivy League bill?
Ivy League teams don't award athletic scholarships but in practice no one on an Ivy League team pays their own way, I believe. They certainly have more than enough scholarship money to go around - anyone with a household income below $75,000 can attend Harvard tuition-free (not sure if that also encompasses room and board but I expect so).

SteveMM

Elite Member
Ivy League teams don't award athletic scholarships but in practice no one on an Ivy League team pays their own way, I believe. They certainly have more than enough scholarship money to go around - anyone with a household income below $75,000 can attend Harvard tuition-free (not sure if that also encompasses room and board but I expect so).
That's all true, and I'm sure VCU found a lot of merit and need scholarship money for our new guy Obi. He's not paying anywhere NEAR full price, if he's paying much of anything at all. The average non-athlete with a 3.8 GPA can get a decent amount of merit funding from VCU, and (like the Ivies) if his family is in need they can find that kind of money too. This also begs the question of whether the plan here is for him to be on scholarship next year after practicing as a non-scholarship for a year. It's a good deal for the team if he turns out to be good and wants to stay. It's literally no risk, since they're not keeping anyone else from being here.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Haven't read through the whole thread.... but interesting that he received scholarship offers to a couple Ivy League Schools, and Hampton as well but chose to be a walk on at VCU instead?

Can someone help me make sense of this?

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Ivy’s don’t provide athletic grants as a rule, but rest assured the athletes there are often better taken care of than most mid-level D1 programs….they don’t need to “find“ money.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Haven't read through the whole thread.... but interesting that he received scholarship offers to a couple Ivy League Schools, and Hampton as well but chose to be a walk on at VCU instead?

From the article....

As Obinnaya Okafor put it, his recruiting process lacked consistency.
“It was a little shaky,” Okafor said, on Monday. “Like I was in and out [of] touch with coaches, just here and there.”

“I felt like this was the best place for me, even as a walk-on,” Okafor said. “To see if I can better my game here.”

VCU Heel

Elite Member

Maybe he has higher basketball aspirations than what Brown, Cornell, and Hampton would provide him. We might have also told him that he’ll get a scholarship after this season if he performs well. And if he wants to go to Harvard, then a year at VCU would be more valuable than a year of prep school.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
From the article....

As Obinnaya Okafor put it, his recruiting process lacked consistency.
“It was a little shaky,” Okafor said, on Monday. “Like I was in and out [of] touch with coaches, just here and there.”

“I felt like this was the best place for me, even as a walk-on,” Okafor said. “To see if I can better my game here.”

Maybe he has higher basketball aspirations than what Brown, Cornell, and Hampton would provide him. We might have also told him that he’ll get a scholarship after this season if he performs well. And if he wants to go to Harvard, then a year at VCU would be more valuable than a year of prep school.
Gotcha... was just curious. Happy to have him, hope he enjoys his time here & hope it turns out good for him

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Something else to consider is that VCU has a great pre med program. Maintaining a certain GPA in the program guarantees acceptance to med school. An Ivy League bachelor’s degree doesn’t. I don’t know if Okafor is interested, but he could be.

One other thing, some of the brightest and most knowledgeable physicians I have met were VCU undergrads. Just sayin’.

rammad90

Elite Member
As a graduate of an Ivy League University and a friend of many former Ivy League graduates. If the want you they find money for you. Just that simple. They've been doing that for decades.

If he was wanted he wouldnt have had to pay. Fwiw, no way VCU can match what those schools can provide financially if it came down to dollars and cents.

Unless he is an Art Major academically each of those three schools are light years ahead of VCU in terms of prestige and life connections that lead to opportunities.

However, it seems he made a round ball decision. Brown is always horrible, Cornell up and down mostly down, Amaker is doing a solid it not spectacular job at Harvard but he regularly signs 3 plus to 4 star bigs. Therefore, its likely there was interest but not a lot promise for minutes.

Fwiw, in the IVY's most people get some sort of financial aid even wealthy people. Some who dont really dont need it (I have a friend from a wealth Indian family, this guy paid substantial deposits to Columbia Law, Columbia SIPA, and Brown Medical school he visited a week plus in NYC forfeiting the deposits and tuition, then decided it was off to Brown for Med School. If you family is under a certain threshold its free.

Again, he made a basketball decision and good for him. I dont know his situation. However, were it my son he'd be up north wearing Crimson and Black or he'd be prepping. Bravo to his parents for letting him make. choice.