Players Obinnaya Okafor (6’9 forward) walking on at VCU.

rammad90

Elite Member
Jesse Pellot-Rosa had to take preferred walk-on status due to a full roster back in the day.
Correct. Jesse is one of a couple of guys who were really good who started out as walk-ons and weren't hurt due to financial circumstances.

I am not sure if this still happens. However, back in the day all athletes in full scholarship recipients had to complete financial aid forms and the the AD would add only moneys that were needed. In some cases the AD didnt have to fund the athlete at all.

Again, not sure if this still happens but I dont know why not?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Something else to consider is that VCU has a great pre med program. Maintaining a certain GPA in the program guarantees acceptance to med school. An Ivy League bachelor’s degree doesn’t. I don’t know if Okafor is interested, but he could be.

One other thing, some of the brightest and most knowledgeable physicians I have met were VCU undergrads. Just sayin’.
Guaranteed admission is only for a select, small group of students. And it’s way too late to get into that program now.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Correct. Jesse is one of a couple of guys who were really good who started out as walk-ons and weren't hurt due to financial circumstances.

I am not sure if this still happens. However, back in the day all athletes in full scholarship recipients had to complete financial aid forms and the the AD would add only moneys that were needed. In some cases the AD didnt have to fund the athlete at all.

Again, not sure if this still happens but I dont know why not?
That must be way old school, wasn’t that way in the 80s. If anything the AD openly encouraged those eligble to get Pell Grants on top of athletic schollies. People took a pay cut at graduation.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Unless, he was already enrolled and negotiating hoops status all along, without anyone being aware?
While possible, it’s highly unlikely. The story is that his coaches reached out to VCU over the summer. If he was admitted to the guaranteed admissions program, then he would have known about that back at the beginning of the year and these discussions would have already happened.

Another issue is the program doesn’t just require it’s students to maintain a certain GPA. There are certain core classes that are required and other benchmarks along the way. It would be exceptionally hard to stay in the program as a varsity athlete, particularly in such a time-demanding sport as division one basketball.

rammad90

Elite Member
That must be way old school, wasn’t that way in the 80s. If anything the AD openly encouraged those eligble to get Pell Grants on top of athletic schollies. People took a pay cut at graduation.
That's what I stated. They had everyone complete financial aid forms. However, you could not exceed your financial need. Now that need included housing, travel, food, and a few miscellaneous things. If we had a student athlete that qualified for the Pell Grant or the SEOG (is that still a thing) then those monies would offset the cost that the AD would otherwise pick up.

One of my good friends used to joke all the time that the worst recruit was a middle class recruit as they typically cost more because they didnt get the grant offset.

SteveMM

Elite Member
As a graduate of an Ivy League University and a friend of many former Ivy League graduates. If the want you they find money for you. Just that simple. They've been doing that for decades.

If he was wanted he wouldnt have had to pay. Fwiw, no way VCU can match what those schools can provide financially if it came down to dollars and cents.

Unless he is an Art Major academically each of those three schools are light years ahead of VCU in terms of prestige and life connections that lead to opportunities.

However, it seems he made a round ball decision. Brown is always horrible, Cornell up and down mostly down, Amaker is doing a solid it not spectacular job at Harvard but he regularly signs 3 plus to 4 star bigs. Therefore, its likely there was interest but not a lot promise for minutes.

Fwiw, in the IVY's most people get some sort of financial aid even wealthy people. Some who dont really dont need it (I have a friend from a wealth Indian family, this guy paid substantial deposits to Columbia Law, Columbia SIPA, and Brown Medical school he visited a week plus in NYC forfeiting the deposits and tuition, then decided it was off to Brown for Med School. If you family is under a certain threshold its free.

Again, he made a basketball decision and good for him. I dont know his situation. However, were it my son he'd be up north wearing Crimson and Black or he'd be prepping. Bravo to his parents for letting him make. choice.
Obviously VCU is blown out of the water by the Ivies when it comes to academics and reputation. No one can argue otherwise. However, as I think you're saying, if he has higher basketball ambitions then VCU is better for him than Hampton or anything the Ivy League can offer. One year here, if he shows out, could mean a full ride at our school or someplace else and maybe a chance to play professionally. If it were me, however, I'd probably take the scholarship that Hampton offered and then transfer after my freshman year if I prove I can play at a higher level. But, maybe he really connected with the VCU coaching staff and thinks they can make him better than he'd be at Hampton. Hard to say. With all of that said, you're right ... it's a basketball decision not an academic one.

Whatever his logic I’m excited by his attitude, size and desire to get better. To have another big to spell our core 3 bigs as a walk-on will pay off for VCU in games not just practice. Welcome aboard Okafor. You’re going to love how RamNation will cheer for you!

rammad90

Elite Member
Obviously VCU is blown out of the water by the Ivies when it comes to academics and reputation. No one can argue otherwise. However, as I think you're saying, if he has higher basketball ambitions then VCU is better for him than Hampton or anything the Ivy League can offer. One year here, if he shows out, could mean a full ride at our school or someplace else and maybe a chance to play professionally. If it were me, however, I'd probably take the scholarship that Hampton offered and then transfer after my freshman year if I prove I can play at a higher level. But, maybe he really connected with the VCU coaching staff and thinks they can make him better than he'd be at Hampton. Hard to say. With all of that said, you're right ... it's a basketball decision not an academic one.
Hampton ride or VCU walk on? Again, if his financial aid situation is optimal it could be a financial wash. Not sure what we sold him to essentially ride the pine and burn a year but hey, welcome aboard.

Were it me I'd have gone prep or to Hampton and played a lot more.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Hampton ride or VCU walk on? Again, if his financial aid situation is optimal it could be a financial wash. Not sure what we sold him to essentially ride the pine and burn a year but hey, welcome aboard.

Were it me I'd have gone prep or to Hampton and played a lot more.
I don't get it either, but it's certainly an interesting situation. I'd love to have heard the conversations that convinced him to be a walk on when he had a full ride offered to him. He said his recruiting was spotty, so maybe the Hampton U. offer wasn't as good as it sounds on paper? Regardless, I'm glad to have him!

rammad90

Elite Member
Yup. I live a mile from Bethel, my wife is a Bruin ( she was lockermates with Bubba Chuck) and for sure any way to get away from Hampghanistan would be a positive
Whats a locker mate?
But I get you on Hampton.