ODU Tickets

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
So really, it’s about hard feeling with how long term donors/pioneers are treated for you. I don’t think our situations compare and I’ll defer on that point. I will only say that phone calls/txts go a long way—a lot further than emails and social media.

Oh trust me. There have also been phone calls. Part of the athletic department's problem has also been staff turnover.

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
So really, it’s about hard feeling with how long term donors/pioneers are treated for you. I don’t think our situations compare and I’ll defer on that point. I will only say that phone calls/txts go a long way—a lot further than emails and social media.

That's kind of funny. Earlier this year I learned of the decision about not having the donor rooms open from a friend. She had received an e-mail. I had not. Then I realized I had received many e-mail at all.

We are 30+ years donors. Capital Campaign members. We have four season tickets, two Capital Campaign seats and two others we bought a few years back when a former staff member asked us to help sell out the building by buying two extras. My wife was the President of the Rams Club for the last two years of it's existence (friends call her the "deposed" President). We helped set up bus trips, organized the Golf Tournament before the AD took it over from the Ram Club, donated items to be auctioned off to raise money. We traveled to away games and encouraged others to do so when this team simply was not that good. I attended 231 VCU games in a row, home and away, and have never missed a game in the SC. I've helped out the coaching staff when they need "things" done....

All that and I was told that I did not receive the e-mails because I was on the e-mail list for casual fans, not on the list for donors. REALLY?

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
That's kind of funny. Earlier this year I learned of the decision about not having the donor rooms open from a friend. She had received an e-mail. I had not. Then I realized I had received many e-mail at all.

We are 30+ years donors. Capital Campaign members. We have four season tickets, two Capital Campaign seats and two others we bought a few years back when a former staff member asked us to help sell out the building by buying two extras. My wife was the President of the Rams Club for the last two years of it's existence (friends call her the "deposed" President). We helped set up bus trips, organized the Golf Tournament before the AD took it over from the Ram Club, donated items to be auctioned off to raise money. We traveled to away games and encouraged others to do so when this teams simply was not that good. I've helped out the coaching staff when they need things....

All that and I was told that I did not receive the e-mails because I was on the e-mail list for casual fans, not on the list for donors. REALLY?
Well, maybe there is more going on between you, yours and the AD….maybe it is personalities, power dynamics or something. As mentioned in my original post, my experience with Ed and team has not been the same—that is not to refute your or others’ experiences. Just a different take on the issue raised— I think it is only fair that if folks are going to take the AD to task for matters, those that have had positive experience also share—that doesn’t make either party wrong, just different experiences.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

We are 30+ years donors. Capital Campaign members. We have four season tickets, two Capital Campaign seats and two others we bought a few years back when a former staff member asked us to help sell out the building by buying two extras. My wife was the President of the Rams Club for the last two years of it's existence (friends call her the "deposed" President). We helped set up bus trips, organized the Golf Tournament before the AD took it over from the Ram Club, donated items to be auctioned off to raise money. We traveled to away games and encouraged others to do so when this team simply was not that good. I attended 231 VCU games in a row, home and away, and have never missed a game in the SC. I've helped out the coaching staff when they need "things" done....

casual fans? Da fuq.... smh

VCU74

Elite Member
Good question.... Say what you want about the current situation bout game day atmosphere's... both between ticket holders & students nowadays (compared to the Shaka Days & Pre Final 4 days).....

But I remember under the previous AD.... we had Bus Trips for pretty much every one to just bout every game... now granted that was the CAA days... so games were much closer overall & Bus Trips were easier cause it was an hour or two max either direction on 95 or 64. The Rowdy Rams had bus trips multiple times a year to Fodu, GMU, W&M, & JMU (still remember the game they kicked you out up there Rick... ironically one of the days the Rowdy Rams had a bus trip, and the Rowdy Rams were all sitting next to their band doing the Hey Song & Lets go VCU & what not).

Oh & lets not forget the previous AD sent the Rowdy Rams to pretty much the Entire Final 4 run I think? How many bus Trips has Ed offered up for the Rowdy Rams outside of A10 Tourneys?

Nowadays the only bus trips I see the Rowdy Rams doing are to Brooklyn (or wherever the A10 Tourney is). None to GMU, GW, Fur, none to any of the Philly schools or Duquesne... or even Davidson.
… (still remember the game they kicked you out up there Rick...

STORY TIME!?!?

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
… (still remember the game they kicked you out up there Rick...

STORY TIME!?!?

Late in the game I was attacked by a JMU fan. He grabbed me by my good shoulder (I had just had surgery on the other) and spun me around (I was standing) because I was yelling at their coach for something (the refs must have agreed with me, they T'ed him up just as this was happening). I told the guy to get away from me and returned to my yelling. He did it again. I look to end of the row (I was sitting center court) and asked for someone to get security. They responded and made both of us leave.

Funny thing is, we had come up on the bus, something I usually did not do at JMU because I knew great places to eat that the bus could not get to. But they needed the seats filled and so we went on the bus. Had I not been on the bus, I would have arrested the guy when he attacked me the second time, then I would have just requested the JMU police's assistance in the arrest. Not much they could have done at that point.

As it was, Eric Maynor was about to set the scoring record. I had seen every game he played in at VCU. I thought I was going to miss him break the record. But Coach Grant took him out of the game (we were way ahead) and did not put him back in. Most think it was because Grant wanted him to break the record at a Home game. I still think someone told Grant what happened in the stands and he took him out so I could see him score the record points at the next game.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
@VCU74

Meanwhile, me & a bunch of the Rowdy Rams who rode up on the bus (I think this was one of the trips the Rowdy Rams rode up with some of the Rams Club like @fmrick )... they put us Rowdies right next to their own band (clearly not very smart on their part)... so they'd start playing songs... some of which were the same ones that the Peppas played.... so we started sing the words to the VCU versions... they kept getting so annoyed at us. Pretty sure there was a couple times, they'd start playing... and we'd immediately start singing... and they quit. We totally killed their vibe lol

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member
IDK what it is about JMU. One of their assistant coaches shoulder checked me on the court and told me to "take that f**** VCU sweatshirt off" after they won the CAA Championship at the Coliseum. It was a decent shoulder check too. I had stormed the court with my JMU friends who came to VCU for grad school.

As it was, Eric Maynor was about to set the scoring record. I had seen every game he played in at VCU. I thought I was going to miss him break the record. But Coach Grant took him out of the game (we were way ahead) and did not put him back in. Most think it was because Grant wanted him to break the record at a Home game. I still think someone told Grant what happened in the stands and he took him out so I could see him score the record points at the next game.
Hey Rick, I found your shoes. You must've left them on the JMU bus back in the day.

jumbo-clown-shoes.jpg
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my life.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
IDK what it is about JMU. One of their assistant coaches shoulder checked me on the court and told me to "take that f**** VCU sweatshirt off" after they won the CAA Championship at the Coliseum. It was a decent shoulder check too. I had stormed the court with my JMU friends who came to VCU for grad school.
Yeah there is a sub-culture of meatheadedness at JMU that I never saw back in the day, but saw it up close and personal when they played the baby football national championship a few years back here in DFW. Met up with some friends and the bar was packed with the stench of steroid induced false rage mixed with polo cologne.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I'll say it again, as I have said several times, I was a 20+ year donor and season tickets holder. Certainly not in the top 10% (you would not find me in the Tommy West club, my seats tended to be closer to the corners than mid court). When I chose not to renew, not one phone call, email, text, smoke signal --- nothing but silence from the athletic department. Go figure. I am not looking for Ed to call me personally and certainly not expecting to be overwhelmed with candy and flowers, but darn, you would figure they would reach out to those that supported the program through good times and lean times. I only keep bringing this up because I am truly perplexed by the lack of contact .

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I'll say it again, as I have said several times, I was a 20+ year donor and season tickets holder. Certainly not in the top 10% (you would not find me in the Tommy West club, my seats tended to be closer to the corners than mid court). When I chose not to renew, not one phone call, email, text, smoke signal --- nothing but silence from the athletic department. Go figure. I am not looking for Ed to call me personally and certainly not expecting to be overwhelmed with candy and flowers, but darn, you would figure they would reach out to those that supported the program through good times and lean times. I only keep bringing this up because I am truly perplexed by the lack of contact .
You are exactly the type that someone should be reaching out to. Not even for a hard sell, because everyone has different reasons for dropping season tickets, but just to let you know that there are other options for tickets and hopefully smooth over anything that may have rubbed you the wrong way. Those types of things go a long way with people. There is so much turnover within the department that it is almost impossible for them to do any long term relationship building with "the other 90%". They could definitely use a VCU lifer that would be in it for the long haul to reach out to season ticket holders and former season ticket holders to help address concerns and bridge the gap between donors and those in the athletic department.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
You are exactly the type that someone should be reaching out to. Not even for a hard sell, because everyone has different reasons for dropping season tickets, but just to let you know that there are other options for tickets and hopefully smooth over anything that may have rubbed you the wrong way. Those types of things go a long way with people. There is so much turnover within the department that it is almost impossible for them to do any long term relationship building with "the other 90%". They could definitely use a VCU lifer that would be in it for the long haul to reach out to season ticket holders and former season ticket holders to help address concerns and bridge the gap between donors and those in the athletic department.
are you trying to use common sense? :roll: