ODU Tickets

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Sounds like the ad’s office has trouble retaining talent. I would imagine salary is the driver here. This again puts us in the position of needing to raise MORE money to attract and retain top talent which requires kissing the rings of the few people at the top that can make big contributions.

I’d imagine it’s a bit like running an airline. You need all the people in coach but all your profit comes from the people sitting in first class.

I would argue that a lot of that turnover is at entry level/mid level positions and it's not about the money. They are university employees and their pay scale is set by the university, not the athletic department. There is very little continuity at those levels. When you talk to individuals at those levels, most of the time they can't answer your questions. That was not the case under previous AD administrations.

I'll give you a prime example. The VCU mobile apps has a link to your tickets. It has a link to add your ticket to your Apple Wallet. The feature does not work and it references that it "Can't find variable: Passbook". Apple Wallet replaced Apple Passbook years ago. I contacted the VCU athletic department and was told no one uses the VCU app regarding their tickets. It was apparent they had not even tested the feature in the VCU app. They then said it was a vendor issue and would open a ticket. I got a call back saying the feature was now working correctly. Guess what! It still doesn't work. You also can't transfer your tickets to someone else via the app. Transferring tickets to someone else is another story.

Rule #1 - If you are going to launch an app, make sure all features work. And don't use the excuse that no one uses the features. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rule #2 - Get your department infrastructure in order. And it's not always about money. How about properly training your employees and making sure your processes work. That's basic management 101.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I would argue that a lot of that turnover is at entry level/mid level positions and it's not about the money. They are university employees and their pay scale is set by the university, not the athletic department. There is very little continuity at those levels. When you talk to individuals at those levels, most of the time they can't answer your questions. That was not the case under previous AD administrations.

I'll give you a prime example. The VCU mobile apps has a link to your tickets. It has a link to add your ticket to your Apple Wallet. The feature does not work and it references that it "Can't find variable: Passbook". Apple Wallet replaced Apple Passbook years ago. I contacted the VCU athletic department and was told no one uses the VCU app regarding their tickets. It was apparent they had not even tested the feature in the VCU app. They then said it was a vendor issue and would open a ticket. I got a call back saying the feature was now working correctly. Guess what! It still doesn't work. You also can't transfer your tickets to someone else via the app. Transferring tickets to someone else is another story.

Rule #1 - If you are going to launch an app, make sure all features work. And don't use the excuse that no one uses the features. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rule #2 - Get your department infrastructure in order. And it's not always about money. How about properly training your employees and making sure your processes work. That's basic management 101.
Weird. I have no problem getting my tickets into my iWallet or transferring them.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
It's ALL about the "Benjamins". Always has been since he got here, always will be while he is here.
As it should be, that is their job. But nickel and diming season ticket holders isn't necessarily the best way to do that. That is a short-term mindset. It is a lot cheaper to keep an old customer than it is to get a new one.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Weird. I have no problem getting my tickets into my iWallet or transferring them.

It also didn't work for the employee in the athletic department that I talked to. Are you using the VCU mobile app on your phone? I can see my tickets, but when I hit "add to apple wallet" I get an error code "Can't find variable: Passbook".

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I just think some people are feeling under-appreciated. There is a complete void of appreciation for donors going on for 2 years now. Seriously, how hard would it be for VCU to send out some free swag to people that gave last year? Or maybe lower there prices this past year. A free t-shirt(s) or open the hospitality rooms or some vouchers for refreshments. I don't walk over existing customers by offering new customers better pricing. Yeah, I know some places like phone, cable companies, gyms... do that. But as a consumer, it rubs me the wrong way.
Right after we had paid for our season tickets and they announced that we would not be able to go to games they actually did offer to send us some swag. In the form of "virtual season tickets" for an extra charge of $50 or $100. Coming up with that was a great idea. I appreciate the marketing as I do with all of these deals, but sending those things to people that had already paid for season tickets would have been an even better idea. That box of crap might have gone a long way with some donors. Generally I tend to be a loyal customer but as you mentioned some industries punish you for that. When I need a new phone the company I'm with won't give me one, so I will switch to a different company because they will. Even though I'm happy with my current cell phone company it is hard to justify paying more then someone who is just walking in the door after many years as a customer.

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
some of you are just bored, we are bitching about the Dance Team now? give me a fudgeing break.

Have you read the thread? No one was was saying anything bad about the Dance team. We were just discussing how the team was formed and who was responsible for getting it started.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Do you really believe that? I used to cover state sports in the mid-80s to mid-90s and UR got good crowds when Tarrant was winning games. VCU was in a dark hole at that time. Winning and good basketball has everything to do with it. Die hards that support the program go to games no matter what. By this way, VCU lost fans when they built the Stu. Fans got mad when they winning but then got unhappy with Shaka and the CBI year and called for his ouster at the end of the 2011 season. They left and new fans jumped onboard after the Final Four and rode it out. When he left the crowds went up and down according to how the team was doing. Game day atmosphere will not pick up again until they put wins together. Just look at the 2018-19 season when the team was 25-7. Crowds were coming and they were into it. The following year the senior laden team fell apart and then COVID kept us away from Bones' senior season. Now that we can go to watch the team is offensively deficient and the pandemic still has things in a tizzy for various reasons. I received an email from Ed yesterday about the COVID tough times to end last season and about masks/support this season. Hopefully next year we will begin getting fans engaged with a winning team.
I too received the same email, and have never felt slighted in the least by the Athletic Department. If we put together a wining streak before the conference schedule gets started, tickets will then become a hot seller.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Yes, I do believe that. It is a process. One thing leads to another. We can debate Chicken or Egg all day, but in the end it is about having a process in place that promotes the program.

This process started with Mack. I've posted about this before, many might not have read things that far back. But I was told by the AD that when Mack agreed to come here he had demands that they had to agree to. He was all about the PROGRAM being successful. He want improvements in the building, as well as in the ancillary programs like Cheerleading, the band and a new Dance Team. He felt that those were all things that successful PROGRAMS had to have. Putting all those things in place started a general improvement in the program itself. They built from there. Slowly more fans started coming, better players started signing, we moved from one successful team to another, and the rest is history. It did not happen overnight.

Sure, a successful run to the sweet-sixteen would surely help this program. But if you keep trashing the fans who supported this program in the 70's, 80's and 90s, just to placate the new kids on the block, you will face the same types of declines as we are seeing now. A couple average years is all it will take. And if we have those average years without COVID to blame, will those new kids stick around?
You lost me at "Mack"

Ramcounter

Elite Member
People are being priced out of attending the games in person as a season ticket holder. Now, VCU is offering cheap deals/swag to sell tickets while season ticket holders are paying over $41 a ticket per game, not including their RAF donation. Every VCU basketball game is now on TV. Where is the economics in all of this? Don't be surprised if this administration drops the MASN package next year that picks up the remaining games that are not televised nationally or through the A-10 in order to try to increase attendance. This ship is sailing in the wrong direction fast. IF IT'S NOT BROKEN, DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!!!
I paid under $15 including fees for the Wagner game. The Penn State game was under $30 with fees. I have to wonder at what point does the AD address the delta between single game ticket price and the season ticket price because it feels out of balance.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I paid under $15 including fees for the Wagner game. The Penn State game was under $30 with fees. I have to wonder at what point does the AD address the delta between single game ticket price and the season ticket price because it feels out of balance.
Prob never.... the same reason the last few years, I feel like we've paid $500 as a flat rate for season tickets (minus all the RAF donations & other fees) regardless of whether there's 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20 home games.