Offense v previous seasons

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Just thought this was worth pointing out...

Current Effective FG%: 53.4%

Previous Years...
'22: 51.4% (Rhoades)
'21: 50.9% (Rhoades)
'20: 49.7% (Rhoades)
'19: 50.1% (Rhoades
'18: 52.6% (Rhoades)
'17: 51% (Wade)
'16: 51% (Wade)
'15: 48.7% (Shaka)
'14: 47.9% (Shaka)
'13: 51.3% (Shaka)
'12: 47.6% (Shaka)
'11: 51.1% (Shaka)

All but one of the Shaka-coached teams were top-50 nationally in turnover % offense, the outlier still being top-100 still. Wade's two ranked 60th and 111th in TO% offense. Rhoades' teams have ranked 323rd (this year so far), 341st, 263rd, 96th 277th and 199th.

I just think it's interesting to point out not only have we had some ELITE defensive teams under Rhoades, we've also had teams that could actually shoot just as well as other VCU squads in this "Final 4 era". Really one of the hugest differences there offensively really was turnovers. Coach in the past has said "the ball is the program" and how you have to value it, but I also think it's so interesting to see just how much turnover percentage offense has effected VCU's ability to land in the NCAA tournament. Imagine what this team can potentially do if they can simply not cough the ball up once every four to five trips down the court...

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
It’s early but this team has the potential to be one of the best offensive teams we’ve had in a really long time. If we can keep this up while hanging onto the lockdown defense (allowed only 54 from Morgan St, ranked #10 in adjusted defensive efficiency on Torvik), we will be dangerous.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Just thought this was worth pointing out...

Current Effective FG%: 53.4%

Previous Years...
'22: 51.4% (Rhoades)
'21: 50.9% (Rhoades)
'20: 49.7% (Rhoades)
'19: 50.1% (Rhoades
'18: 52.6% (Rhoades)
'17: 51% (Wade)
'16: 51% (Wade)
'15: 48.7% (Shaka)
'14: 47.9% (Shaka)
'13: 51.3% (Shaka)
'12: 47.6% (Shaka)
'11: 51.1% (Shaka)

All but one of the Shaka-coached teams were top-50 nationally in turnover % offense, the outlier still being top-100 still. Wade's two ranked 60th and 111th in TO% offense. Rhoades' teams have ranked 323rd (this year so far), 341st, 263rd, 96th 277th and 199th.

I just think it's interesting to point out not only have we had some ELITE defensive teams under Rhoades, we've also had teams that could actually shoot just as well as other VCU squads in this "Final 4 era". Really one of the hugest differences there offensively really was turnovers. Coach in the past has said "the ball is the program" and how you have to value it, but I also think it's so interesting to see just how much turnover percentage offense has effected VCU's ability to land in the NCAA tournament. Imagine what this team can potentially do if they can simply not cough the ball up once every four to five trips down the court...
What’s strange is that we’ve had good ball handlers for the most part too. Johnny wasn’t a great shooter but he led the A10 in assists in 17-18. Marcus Evans wasn’t a pure PG, but he could handle the ball. Ace had more turnovers as a sophomore than as a freshman, but still he’s a very good ball handler.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I'm not sure what the problem is with turnovers. We were one of the best with Shaka and Rhoades system seems in many ways similar.
Maybe part of it is the freedom given to players to create within the system. This is a two edged sword, players create some plays that might not happen without it, but some of those plays are dribbling the ball off a foot, throwing a pass where there is no recipient or where the recipient isn't ready for it (how many of Ace's turnovers were otherwise good passes that his teammate simply wasn't expecting). There is a fine line between creativity within an offense and creating outside the scheme.
I was always taught, even when growing up, that freedom comes with responsibility. Maybe we are missing some of the responsibility part.
We've got that one outlier year with Coach Rhoades, where we were 96th. Not great, but much better than all the other years. What happened that year? Can we go back and look at it and replicate it? A 96th ranking this year, with the offensive talent we have and the defense I expect we are going to play will make us a very, very good basketball team.
I'm hoping we get that done. I think we will be better as the players get to know each other. This team can be special among many really good VCU teams. I think they are actually really close.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Couple things I've noticed better offensively through 2 games this season versus previous seasons....

1. We are not giving up after the shot on offense. We've had double digit offensive rebounds in both games so far this year. Sure, small sample size... but in years past we didn't get offensive rebounds as much. We would just throw up a shot (good or bad) and start heading back on defense.

2. Overall we are playing much less selfish basketball so far. In years past we've had times where one player tried to do it all, tried to do too much, took bad shots in stead of passing to the open man... etc. So far this season we've played much more ideal, team friendly basketball.

Are there things we need to work on? Sure there are.... but for a team with a lot of new faces this year... I would say we are definitely better offensively so far.

Mercury

Elite Member
JJ and Jamir are responsible for 42% of our turnovers on a per game. Jamir will be fine once he knocks the rust off but we really need JJ to start playing in control. JJ's minutes will have to get slashed if he doesn't cut down on the fouls and turnovers.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
JJ and Jamir are responsible for 42% of our turnovers on a per game. Jamir will be fine once he knocks the rust off but we really need JJ to start playing in control. JJ's minutes will have to get slashed if he doesn't cut down on the fouls and turnovers.
Regarding Jamir, I’ve said the same thing a few times since the Morgan State game. He is rebounding well and his shooting percentage is respectable. He just needs to shake off the rust more and not try to do too much.

Regarding DeLo, I love his potential and his fire, but he needs to play in a controlled manner. The offensive fouls called on him are usually pretty easy calls.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Regarding Jamir, I’ve said the same thing a few times since the Morgan State game. He is rebounding well and his shooting percentage is respectable. He just needs to shake off the rust more and not try to do too much.

Regarding DeLo, I love his potential and his fire, but he needs to play in a controlled manner. The offensive fouls called on him are usually pretty easy calls.
He does pick up a lot of fouls on the other end though that fall into the fantom foul category. That or let's just say the refs still don't understand the principle of verticality. Some guys just seem to be snake bit that way.
I remember early on with Bri refs called fouls on him because they just didn't believe he could make the plays he was making cleanly.
Hopefully they watch some film and realize JJ is not actually fouling on some of those plays.

Rhoades again is mismanaging another face up big by pluggging him into back to the basket role.
i have not seen much of an ability of DeLoach (in 30+ games) to play face up to the basket
he runs the court well from end to end but as far as catching the ball on the wing and dribbling a few times and finishing with short J or strong at the rim, that skill is elusive so far (but he is young so ..........)
(a few posters were talking over the last 6 months that JJ was going to be shooting Js from the perimeter because he had a good stroke - heard the same thing quite often about Ward too)

Johns can and has proved it in 2 games

MR gives his bigs lots of opportunities to play like 4s , JJ just hasn't shown he could -
Will he ever - ?????????

Go rams

Just an observation on JJ. Early in the Morgan State game he had a discussion/ disagreement with a ref that seemed "heated". Next two times he had contact with a MS player....quick whistle by the same ref. This ref called all of JJ's fouls. Love his fire, but he may needto reign in some reactions.
Anyone else notice this?

Just an observation on JJ. Early in the Morgan State game he had a discussion/ disagreement with a ref that seemed "heated". Next two times he had contact with a MS player....quick whistle by the same ref. This ref called all of JJ's fouls. Love his fire, but he may needto reign in some reactions.
Anyone else notice this?
did not but only saw game via TV

JJ has been a foul machine in his short career to date (also seems to have a short fuse and inclined to get Ts) and you are spot on that he needs to curtail his reactions (last year JJ had a foul every 5 minutes he was on the court - by far the highest rate of any player getting 400+ minutes of action

MR needs to sit him down if he continues to have ANY heated argument with a player/ref

Anyone else notice this?
Big fan of JJ. I just wish he would control his emotions a little better. He gets a little too "heated" at times. Part of that is youth and learning to move on to the next play. Bad/missed calls are going to happen. Move on. Opposing teams are going to try get into your head and try draw you into a tech. Can't let that get to you.