Offense v previous seasons

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Is that the route we want to go though? I mean we found plenty of good shooters even in the CAA days. If Rhoades is as good of a recruiter as advertised he should be able to find some decent ones.

You still have to coach them, including developing sets/plays that give them the best opportunity to score.

VRam

Elite Member
JJ and Jamir are responsible for 42% of our turnovers on a per game. Jamir will be fine once he knocks the rust off but we really need JJ to start playing in control. JJ's minutes will have to get slashed if he doesn't cut down on the fouls and turnovers.
As I was watching JJ last night, Hason Ward kept popping into my head and I was wondering how he was doing out in the wasteland of Iowa. I finally had a chance to check - 12.5 mpg, 6.3 rpg and 5 ppg, with 7 steals and only 3 turnovers on the year.

RAMBALLFAN

Elite Member
Was it just my perception about last nights game, or when we were pressed by Memphis our offense (what little there was) fell apart. Am I wrong to assume that in practice, guys on defense press the guys on offense, or is our defense so strong that in order to run our “offense” the defensive unit is not allowed to pressure the ball. Looking for a friend… ?

HBK

Elite Member
Was it just my perception about last nights game, or when we were pressed by Memphis our offense (what little there was) fell apart. Am I wrong to assume that in practice, guys on defense press the guys on offense, or is our defense so strong that in order to run our “offense” the defensive unit is not allowed to pressure the ball. Looking for a friend… ?
What happened, from my perspective, is that a team full of 4th and 5th year seniors got very physical with us and we didn't handle it well, especially in the first half. Sure, the ball didn't move as well as it should have; it never does without Ace. However, it really is as simple as we didn't handle their physicality well at all.

artRAMinMN

Elite Member
Because we have players that can't hold onto the ball.
And this has secondary effects. Those of our guys that can make quick accurate, but perhaps not overly predictable, passes, end up having a lot of those would-be good passes fumbled. Then this tends to lead to everyone tossing telegraphed slowpitch passes which are easier to deflect... and no doubt both fumbles and deflections just add to the lowered confidence.

Except of course when there's an opposite reaction, to try to force home run passes.

mrA10

Elite Member
Watching other games today.
I'm so jealous of these teams that shoot the ball and it actually goes in.

VRam

Elite Member
Our Sonny Smith teams could score. Of course, they lost a lot.

Watching other games today.
I'm so jealous of these teams that shoot the ball and it actually goes in.

That’s something that’s so awkward to me. We found shooters even in the CAA. Sure they had to mature/develop but you could tell some would be really good after sometime. I don’t understand how we’re struggling to find consistent shooters year after year. Same way we’ve struggled to find a consistent big man during Mike’s tenure. I mean you’d think we could find and or develop a few consistent scorers.

Well to be fair Evans, Bones, and Vince were pretty solid scorers. We just haven't had that person to step up this year yet.

My thoughts so far are that Watkins needs to start imposing his will more. I mean he seems to be getting his points passively rather than dominating games which is what we need right now. He has to take over Vince's role. The offense should be about him, he needs to be putting up more shots and taking it to the rack. Ace will return, and my gut tells me Nunn will explode soon. I think he is just a slow starter.

The other glaring issue for me is Deloach. I didn't think this to be true last year, but it seems Ward gave us a little more than we realized. We are feeling the loss rn. Even if he wasn't scoring he was altering shots and changing the game some. Deloach just has not been prime time yet. He has been nothing but a turnover and foul machine. He hasn't given us much in the front court. He can not keep the ball long enough to get a shot up most times. Idk that there is anything we can do about that because we are thin at the position we may just have to hope he works through, but thus far Deloach has been unimpressive and we need way more down low.

Last edited:
Because we have players that can't hold onto the ball.
and find themselves zooming into untennable situations that do not present viable scoring opportunities. our length is only effective against lousy teams in transition.

I don’t know about anyone else but I hate how we conformed to the rest of the league. Like when you thought of VCU you thought of hustle, physical, in your grill all game, burning you in transition. Then we fully converted to straight up half court everything. Nothing got fans more excited than players diving for balls, 3’s in transition, breakaway dunks, etc. I mean Maynor crash and burned into the bleachers his senior year for a ball. Gave all of us a freaking heart attack. It was just built into VCU’s DNA. You couldn’t out work us. Our conditioning was absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know things just feel vanilla now and I think you can feel this effect in Siegel too as result.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I don’t know about anyone else but I hate how we conformed to the rest of the league. Like when you thought of VCU you thought of hustle, physical, in your grill all game, burning you in transition. Then we fully converted to straight up half court everything. Nothing got fans more excited than players diving for balls, 3’s in transition, breakaway dunks, etc. I mean Maynor crash and burned into the bleachers his senior year for a ball. Gave all of us a freaking heart attack. It was just built into VCU’s DNA. You couldn’t out work us. Our conditioning was absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know things just feel vanilla now and I think you can feel this effect in Siegel too as result.
Let’s try this….

name one thing you actually like about the VCU program …are the black and gold colors ok?

;)

Let’s try this….

name one thing you actually like about the VCU program …are the black and gold colors ok?

;)

Do you think the transition has been good? Yes our old ways had its flaws (When teams beat the press.) but arguably we haven’t benefited from the transition. Our defense got better but our offense is awful. Our fans clearly get less excited by the new style. It’s like going from full chaos to uva pack line.