Offense v previous seasons

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Do you think the transition has been good? Yes our old ways had its flaws (When teams beat the press.) but arguably we haven’t benefited from the transition. Our defense got better but our offense is awful. Our fans clearly get less excited by the new style. It’s like going from full chaos to uva pack line.

You must be watching a different game from me if you see VCU going to UVA pack line. :roll:

You must be watching a different game from me if you see VCU going to UVA pack line. :roll:
I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say. We went from a up tempo exciting style that get fans pumped to crazy tough defense with slow scoring. You don’t get big runs. You don’t get a lot of plays with running the court. We rarely see dunks. That stuff pumps up teams and the fans. It just feels low energy and you can see that on the bench.

rammad90

Elite Member
Are we 2-2 with a lost to a P5 and close to P5 program? Or are we 0-4 coming off a loss to JMU? Seriously, Ace is out we are going to take a lump or two.

However, whatever the O is ranked we have enough fire power to win most nights. I agree our goal is NCAA tourney and our margin of error is razor thing. However, we can win the Conference Tournament as the ticks did last year and remove all this doubt about getting in.

Given this shouldnt we all just be enjoying the season and praying we gel around February with the guys who have it really demonstrating that potential.

Look if Shriver hits 40% from deep, Ace's is 90-95% and running the show, Johns keeps being Johns, Jamir and Nunn continues to grow into who we think they are, Zeb,Kerr Banks keep improving. Plus the bigs to include Deloach rebound and defend like tommorw is promised we will be pretty darned hard to beat.

While I think Mike has under performed (not under recruited) I dont think his performance is "fire him" worthy. I think we just note that we expected a scooch more. That's it that's all.

Let's stop all the crap and focus on where we are and where we are going. We are in a good but pretty tenuous position.

Now let me get a Go Rams!

artRAMinMN

Elite Member
I can easily imagine some posters here, flying coach, knocking frantically at the cockpit door, demanding to critique flap-usage, lavatory cleanliness, and beverage cart choices, and preemptively complaining about not-yet-lost luggage.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
That’s a weird attempt at an analogy that doesn’t really make any sense.

Twain

Elite Member
Let’s try this….

name one thing you actually like about the VCU program …are the black and gold colors ok?

;)
Please. He was just saying he missed the signature Rams Basketball style/identity. He's not the only one.

We may win, we may lose. But if we start to get boring....we're doomed.

Look. The press and style that Shaka’s teams played was exciting and generated some easy baskets, but we also gave up A LOT of layups. Our defense is good and will probably get better.

Our problem is offense. The numbers during Mike’s reign don’t lie. The freedom in the offense may be a selling point to recruits, but if the players can’t play with better decision making and discipline then something needs to change. Either change your system or get different players.

I don’t think this is an assistant coach issue. This is Mike’s system and he’s responsible for whether it’s successful or not. It’s not like football where the offensive or defensive coordinator may have the autonomy to run his system on that side of the ball.

80sRam

Elite Member
Look. The press and style that Shaka’s teams played was exciting and generated some easy baskets, but we also gave up A LOT of layups. Our defense is good and will probably get better.

Our problem is offense. The numbers during Mike’s reign don’t lie. The freedom in the offense may be a selling point to recruits, but if the players can’t play with better decision making and discipline then something needs to change. Either change your system or get different players.

I don’t think this is an assistant coach issue. This is Mike’s system and he’s responsible for whether it’s successful or not. It’s not like football where the offensive or defensive coordinator may have the autonomy to run his system on that side of the ball.
Agree. Shaka's system was a one-trick Havoc pony, and opponents were starting to figure it out.

Whether the current offense is Mike's system, or one an assistant has had the freedom to implement, it clearly - CLEARLY - isn't working. You know what they say about the definition of insanity. And as to freedom the players enjoy, I don't know of many competitive athletes who'd say they'd take getting rolled by 15 as long as they had freedom.

Agree. Shaka's system was a one-trick Havoc pony, and opponents were starting to figure it out.

Whether the current offense is Mike's system, or one an assistant has had the freedom to implement, it clearly - CLEARLY - isn't working. You know what they say about the definition of insanity. And as to freedom the players enjoy, I don't know of many competitive athletes who'd say they'd take getting rolled by 15 as long as they had freedom.

That one trick pony took us to the A10 tourney final every year and every conference final except his first year where we fell to the top seed in the semis despite being up 10 in the second half. That pony took us to multiple tourney wins and the losses were for the most part pretty understandable.

-Butler- That team shot absolutely lights out. Then couldn’t hit the ocean with a beach ball in the championship. Very unlucky.

-A loaded Michigan team wlth 3 lottery picks 2 miles from Michigan’s campus. Mich went to the F4.

-Jequan fouling which was the only way SFA could tie the game.

-Ohio State - That was a tough match up especially Weber out. It was definitely winnable but a excusable loss considering.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
That one trick pony took us to the A10 tourney final every year and every conference final except his first year where we fell to the top seed in the semis despite being up 10 in the second half. That pony took us to multiple tourney wins and the losses were for the most part pretty understandable.

-Butler- That team shot absolutely lights out. Then couldn’t hit the ocean with a beach ball in the championship. Very unlucky.

-A loaded Michigan team wlth 3 lottery picks 2 miles from Michigan’s campus. Mich went to the F4.

-Ohio State - That was a tough match up especially Weber out. It was definitely winnable but a excusable loss considering.
For a poster who regularly tells people to stop making excuses, I see (4) four excuses about VCU losses noted above.

JDI

Insider
He cost more each year and in return we got in a rut with advancing in the tournament. Then we got to go through the annual "Is he leaving" fiasco.

For a poster who regularly tells people to stop making excuses, I see (4) four excuses about VCU losses noted above.

Excuses?

We fell in the final four to a on fire Butler team. In the FINAL FOUR.

Michigan was the high seed for the region and playing a home game. That team was absolutely stacked too. Nevermind the media pissed them off saying we would upset them.

SFA- That game was won. One incredibly terrible decision changed a W to a L. That’s not on Shaka. I doubt Shaka told a player to dive at a shooter shooting a 3 with a couple second left up 4.

OSU- Fair enough but that was a strong Big 10 team. Even so we played tough.

Sure is better than playing in the NIT or getting skull bashed by UCF though.

Interestingly UCF is when I felt VCU fans were full of it as far as complaining about distance thing. We were the smallest group there next to the small school Duke beat(I forget who it was). Years of complaining about being far away and our fans couldn’t show up for the NCAAs. Also heard folks there saying if we won they wouldn’t go to the Duke game because we didn’t look good enough. Now given I did expect us to look better but that rubbed me wrong that here at NCAAs we had fans saying they would bail out because we weren’t winning enough. It was the 7 vs 8 seed. We weren’t gonna run them over. Though I didn’t expect them to manhandle us essentially. I did think many fans were looking pass to Duke though.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Excuses?

We fell in the final four to a on fire Butler team. In the FINAL FOUR.

Michigan was the high seed for the region and playing a home game. That team was absolutely stacked too. Nevermind the media pissed them off saying we would upset them.

SFA- That game was won. One incredibly terrible decision changed a W to a L. That’s not on Shaka. I doubt Shaka told a player to dive at a shooter shooting a 3 with a couple second left up 4.

OSU- Fair enough but that was a strong Big 10 team. Even so we played tough.

Sure is better than playing in the NIT or getting skull bashed by UCF though.

Interestingly UCF is when I felt VCU fans were full of it as far as complaining about distance thing. We were the smallest group there next to the small school Duke beat(I forget who it was). Years of complaining about being far away and our fans couldn’t show up for the NCAAs. Also heard folks there saying if we won they wouldn’t go to the Duke game because we didn’t look good enough. Now given I did expect us to look better but that rubbed me wrong that here at NCAAs we had fans saying they would bail out because we weren’t winning enough. It was the 7 vs 8 seed. We weren’t gonna run them over. Though I didn’t expect them to manhandle us essentially. I did think many fans were looking pass to Duke though.

I've copied the (4) four bullet points below that you wrote this morning. I see (4) four excuses for not winning those games.
I have no idea what UCF and our game in Columbia, SC has to do with anything. That's completely out of context and I never brought it up. I simply just said that for a poster (YOU) who complains regularly about other posters making excuses for losses, you just did the same thing. Butler shot well, Michigan was stacked, JQ fouling, and Weber was out. Sounds like excuses for not winning which is SOFT because you complain when others make excuses on here.