Official Fodu Thread

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The team is already in Norfolk relaxing in the hotel. Kind of wild.
I think that started while Coach Smart was here, probably post Final 4. They arrive to all away games the night before and stay overnight so they are not riding on a bus before a game. Also no bus trips outside of the state (unless they are being punished). It is more expensive, but it is better for the players. Smart did get a raise every year, but he really focused on program enhancements, retaining assistants, and raising money for the practice facility. We did lose assistants, but only for head coaching gigs which you can't really compete with.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I didn't tout Mo for his hands, I touted him for sealing his man off to open up lanes for cutters off the ball and drivers---something that was non-existent last year and have only seen from Corey this year.

I think Corey has a ton of upside potential, but it will take time before he is there and we have a legit inside presence at the level of competition we will face the rest of the year.
I think the answer is gilmore or we have to reley on Sean to get the big guys good interior shots. I agree this is a perimeter team who will have to rely on slashers.

However, BRF is correct, we do have to feed and trust the post guys much like NFL teams run the ball even when they keep getting stuffed. If we don't throw it into the post the guys will never get better and our outside shooting will be defended that much more vigorously.

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I think the answer is gilmore or we have to relay on Sean to get the big guys good interior shots. I agree this is a perimeter team who will have to rely on slashers.

However, BRF is correct, we do have to feed and trust the post guys much like NFL teams run the ball even when they keep getting stuffed. If we don't throw it into the post the guys will never get better and our outside shooting will be defended that much more vigorously.

No arguements with the stategy of establishing an inside game and would like to see more Corey and Gilmore—as the former improves his post up game and if the latter gets more playing time, i suspect we’ll see more of an effort to do that as the season plays on.

Reactions: rammad90

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Hes off to a very slow start. Injuries are obviously not helping but he just isnt clicking like i had thought he would.
He's still in the right place on the floor most of the time and his screens are textbook especially in and around the lane. His shot will start falling. Can't just look at stats.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
odugameday-main-1128.jpg

WHAT: VCU at Old Dominion
WHERE: Norfolk, Va. (Ted Constant Convocation Center)
WHEN: 7 p.m.
THE SERIES: VCU leads 50-43
LAST MEETING: VCU 82, Old Dominion 75 (Dec. 2, 2017)

COVERAGE
TV:
MASN (Scott Jackson and Rodney Ashby)
ONLINE: ESPN3
RADIO: Ram Radio (Fox Sports 910 & BIG 98.5) l Listen

http://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20181030ewjmo4

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I have been friends with Ronnie Wade for years and I talked to him at halftime of the Hofstra game. His son Jason is getting minutes this year. Ironically, Ronnie (who was a good player back in the day) works VCU games and has done so for some time. At the end of our quick conversation I said that I wished Jason had come to VCU. Ronnie smiled and said it was not going to happen. I said, is it because VCU did not offer? He laughed and said that he was not going there but now Jason's job now is to make VCU pay. He laughed as he said it. Ronnie is a good guy and his son Jason is too. I think Jason gets over 10 minutes a game and he is a good defender. He is a freshman so I hope VCU can take advantage of him when he is on the court.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

Highlights from two years ago. What caught my attention was how many times Jenkins drove and scored. Need that mentality from him again tomorrow.
I was there and VCU escaped that game. odu missed a bunch of free throws down the stretch after leading the majority of the game. I think they were leading by double digits. Hopefully VCU will shoot better this year in the Ted. The last two visits have been struggles on the offensive end.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The Monarchs get another chance Wednesday night at the Constant Center, which is certain to be pulsing in anticipation of the first visit in two years from the Rams (5-1).

“You can feel the electricity,” Jones said. “It’s not necessarily a sound. The energy is literally in the air.”

Coach Rhoades, Marcus Evans and Corey Douglas got to play there for Rice so hopefully that helps some tonight.

Last edited:

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Quick question: Why do we care what some dweeb with a computer tells us about our chances of winning a basketball game? People on this site know more about the ins and outs of this VCU team than just about anyone in the country, yet always focus on some percentage circle chart.

ODU sucks. That's my real time analysis.