Official Unofficial Visit Thread (Very Official)

Ram Jam

Elite Member
Can someone explain to me why “official” and “unofficial” visits are a thing?

If you can also explain why people label their threads “official” that would also be tight.

rammed

Elite Member
The NCAA regulates the number of visits recruits take and schools sponsor. I’m too lazy to look up the rules. The “official” visits are those that count. Kids can always swing by a school unofficially but I believe the activities/resources the school can expend are limited on the unofficial visits (eg, no dining out, etc.).

Ram Jam

Elite Member
Ah so official visits are generally going to be higher profile recruits?

Does the NCAA regulate how many official threads we can have on this message board? Sorry if I stole one with this dumb post.

rammed

Elite Member
Unofficial visits can be highly valued recruits too. It’s a way to manage the regulated numbers game.

official visits are limited for athletes to 5 (and can only be to a college/university once)
duration is 2 days or weekend
school can pay for meals and lodging and transportation of recruit and tickets to see a game
(also parents can come with athlete and be paid for only if driving in same car!!!! - therefore no flying parents or train or bus)

unofficial visits are also governed by rules (only thing school can pay for is tickets to game) school can arrange for athlete to stay in dorms but technically athlete must reimburse for cost similar to what any visiting student would pay to stay in dorms (so if college/university policy is ALL prospective students can stay in dorms for free on their visits than athlete can stay in dorm for free)

ncaa decades ago wanted to reduce top athletes flying each weekend to a different college/university and getting wined/dined and treated extravagantly so rules were enacted to put some boundaries on the #s

naturally athletes now must choose carefully where they take official visits to (though if I was highly recruited I would pick some nice trips - a few to the left coast for sure)
if I were a Richmond area athlete, I would not take an official visit to the local in-town college/university but visit on my own

hope this helps and Rammed is 100% accurate above

Sethjax

Elite Member
Weird set of Official visit schools for Justyn Fernandez (GMU, Oregon State, Princeton)

VCU94MCV98

Elite Member
Weird set of Official visit schools for Justyn Fernandez (GMU, Oregon State, Princeton)
Otherwise known as: Safety school, Best option for basketball, Best option for a degree for after basketball.