Opening Game - VCU vs. Norfolk State

so excited for the season to start yet mildly disappointed that the athletics Office doesn’t even give you a little information about the showdown on the “game day” page.

RAMification

Elite Member
9 TO's already in the first-half of the first-half. Been behind pretty much the whole game thus far. It's early in both the game and the season but's it's going to be a long, long season. It's a shame what has happened with that program.

9 TO's already in the first-half of the first-half. Been behind pretty much the whole game thus far. It's early in both the game and the season but's it's going to be a long, long season. It's a shame what has happened with that program.
Right now with 16 TO’s at the half we look like a very young and not good team. It seems like with the exception of Bria and Maddox, the ladies are timid to shoot. #30 is the biggest player on the floor and the way she’s playing I’m wondering why she even suited up today. We have two injured players and Del has yet to step foot in the game. Down 17 at the half, might as well let the young players get some floor time and experience.

RAMification

Elite Member
Right now with 16 TO’s at the half we look like a very young and not good team. It seems like with the exception of Bria and Maddox, the ladies are timid to shoot. #30 is the biggest player on the floor and the way she’s playing I’m wondering why she even suited up today. We have two injured players and Del has yet to step foot in the game. Down 17 at the half, might as well let the young players get some floor time and experience.

I agree, with 16 TO's at the half on your own court it says it all. We all know it's an extremely young team. That said, there has been something wrong in that program for some time and it's likely not correctable if you maintain the status quo. I'll leave it at that.

I agree, with 16 TO's at the half on your own court it says it all. We all know it's an extremely young team. That said, there has been something wrong in that program for some time and it's likely not correctable if you maintain the status quo. I'll leave it at that.
I’m not privy to what may be wrong with the team but to only have 10 players dressed right now and the lack of experience, it’s gonna be a long season for the ladies.

Gotta give it to Maddox though, she’s playing her heart out today... just wish she’d make a higher percentage of her free throws lol.

Tera Reed is puttin in Work in Q3! She and Maddox seem to work well on the floor together. I’m still wondering how #34 is the starting PG. She doesn’t seem to be making many assists nor shooting well. I think she’s played almost every minute thus far in the game.

RAMification

Elite Member
I’m not privy to what may be wrong with the team but to only have 10 players dressed right now and the lack of experience, it’s gonna be a long season for the ladies.

Total lack of stability. That's understandable when you have coaching changes but the constant turnover obviously stems from something else. I'm not going into it on the boards but getting blown-out on your home court to a #283 RPI team pretty much says it all. If this result holds it's a colossal embarrassment for the school and the program. Time to move on.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Maddox was basically putting the team on her back most of the game... especially once she got going.

Nyra had trouble handling the ball much of the first half

Danielle has always been fairly timid. Not very aggressive.... not sure why.

Taya, Sandra & Madison are all dealing with injuries.... and their time tables to return are unknown at this moment.

I have no Idea why Sparks didn't play until the 4th quarter..... but with a short bench right now we will need her to play a lot more.

The first 35 mins of that game was painful to watch...... Even Bria looked pretty timid out there early..... not sure why.

Finally the last 5 minutes of the game the players finally seemed to get a little momentum going.

VAHills

Elite Member
Insider
Total lack of stability. That's understandable when you have coaching changes but the constant turnover obviously stems from something else. I'm not going into it on the boards but getting blown-out on your home court to a #283 RPI team pretty much says it all. If this result holds it's a colossal embarrassment for the school and the program. Time to move on.
I certainly don’t follow the women’s team much more than reading what people talk about on here, but given the resources provided to the team, such as the same practice facility that the men’s team has, their performance is extremely underwhelming.

RAMification

Elite Member
I certainly don’t follow the women’s team much more than reading what people talk about on here, but given the resources provided to the team, such as the same practice facility that the men’s team has, their performance is extremely underwhelming.

I totally agree with you. They don't seem to have taken advantage of the new BDC at all.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

No offense @VAHills but don't gimme that.

Sure they have the same physical resources on campus as the men.... but you know what the major difference is?

Recruiting. MBB can get recruits.... WBB can't.

The MBB team the last 8-10 years (especially since the Final 4) can recruit with the best of them. The last 10 years we've had 4 different coaches.... and we've been winning & recruiting well the entire time... And since the Final 4 we've recruited Top 100 recruits seemingly every year.... even between the coaching changes. And coming into this year, we've won and made the tourney every single year.

The WBB doesn't have any of that success.... they also don't have near the support of the fans as the MBB team do. And unlike MBB where there's TONS of good schools to play basketball for (Duke, UNC, Kansas, Mich. State, UCLA... etc.) In WBB there's really only 5 or 6 schools (UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford and either South Carolina or Tennessee on given years). And while you would think that would make it easier to recruit better players.... it's not, when you have little to no success. 1 NCAA Tourney appearance in our school history isn't going to bring recruits in by itself.

Also, how much support do you see VCU Athletics giving the WBB staff? They barely mention it at MBB games, there's absolutely NO TV/Radio ads about WBB, there's no Billboards, and the fan support overall is atrocious. Not counting the education games, very rarely do we break 1000 people for attendance.... Even in years that we are winning.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I totally agree with you. They don't seem to have taken advantage of the new BDC at all.

What does the new practice facility have to do with 3 players having injuries? What does the practice facility have to do with not getting a lot of solid recruits? What does the practice facility have to do with players getting recruited over or transferring because they don't get along with the coach?

Did you see my post in the other thread about what Jeezy did (playing for Hampton) at UNC on Friday? She played for us for 2 years (realistically only 1)..... you know why she left? The current coach didn't want her. Yeah, you read that right..... the coach didn't want her. Look at how well she played her Freshmen year here at VCU under Coach Stollings.... and then what happened her 2nd year at VCU before transferring in O'Boyle's first year? She got little to no playing time all year.

Then look at what happened during the offseason.... not only did we have 6 people graduate, Not only did Camille Calhoun's college career come to an end due to injuries.... not only did we lose one of our recruits (who decided to go play rugby in Australia instead).... we lost one transfer Jeune due to some admissions issues, And we lost 2 other players Katherine Strong & Meemo.

And I asked Meemo what happened during the offseason... why she was transferring.... Here was her response... "I'm Just unhappy as a player and person"... and take it from me, as I'm very close with a lot of the players from previous seasons... and there's a lot of players that did not like Coach O'Boyle.

But when you are losing essentially 7 players.... how do you let 2 key players like Meemo & Strong transfer? And right now we've got essentially 8 players that are suiting up ready to play cause 3 players are out with injuries, and 1 is sitting out due to transfer rules.

The BDC is not why we lost yesterday. Period.

VAHills

Elite Member
Insider
No offense @VAHills but don't gimme that.

Sure they have the same physical resources on campus as the men.... but you know what the major difference is?

Recruiting. MBB can get recruits.... WBB can't.

The MBB team the last 8-10 years (especially since the Final 4) can recruit with the best of them. The last 10 years we've had 4 different coaches.... and we've been winning & recruiting well the entire time... And since the Final 4 we've recruited Top 100 recruits seemingly every year.... even between the coaching changes. And coming into this year, we've won and made the tourney every single year.

The WBB doesn't have any of that success.... they also don't have near the support of the fans as the MBB team do. And unlike MBB where there's TONS of good schools to play basketball for (Duke, UNC, Kansas, Mich. State, UCLA... etc.) In WBB there's really only 5 or 6 schools (UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford and either South Carolina or Tennessee on given years). And while you would think that would make it easier to recruit better players.... it's not, when you have little to no success. 1 NCAA Tourney appearance in our school history isn't going to bring recruits in by itself.

Also, how much support do you see VCU Athletics giving the WBB staff? They barely mention it at MBB games, there's absolutely NO TV/Radio ads about WBB, there's no Billboards, and the fan support overall is atrocious. Not counting the education games, very rarely do we break 1000 people for attendance.... Even in years that we are winning.
I appreciate your thoughts, Rowdy. I believe everyone here admires your passion and support for the women's program.

Regarding the practice facility, I'm not referencing it in terms of the development of the players as much as it is supposedly a recruiting jewel. I think it's odd that it doesn't seem to help with recruiting for the women's team.

Fan support will come with success, though it will likely always be limited. A sustained dominating program like UCONN maybe moves the needle a little more, but that's so hard to do.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I appreciate your thoughts, Rowdy. I believe everyone here admires your passion and support for the women's program.

Regarding the practice facility, I'm not referencing it in terms of the development of the players as much as it is supposedly a recruiting jewel. I think it's odd that it doesn't seem to help with recruiting for the women's team.

Fan support will come with success, though it will likely always be limited. A sustained dominating program like UCONN maybe moves the needle a little more, but that's so hard to do.

It doesn't help because WBB isn't as successful as the MBB program. Lets be realistic.... for the good basketball player (and not ones that can be swayed by money offers & such).... there's 3-4 main factors in my opinion that go into their decision as to where to play... they are (in no particular order)

1. Program success.... I'll give you a scenario... you tell me which school you'd pick

School A- a program that is winning, makes the NCAA Tourney (or at the very worst... makes a deep run in the WNIT) continuously

School B- a program that finishes no higher than 5th in the conference... often middle of the pack, rarely makes the NCAA tourney, gets bounced in the first round of the WNIT when they get in

Who you going to pick? The majority of people would pick School A over School B.

2. Playing Time / Style of play.... obviously playing time & style of play is a factor.

3. Close to home.... This is more so for the less rated recruits... however, for even some of the players who are highly recruited, if a school close to home is good, they'll play for them.

4. Chemistry between coaches & players during a visit. If a recruit can gel with some of the players & coaches during a visit that helps their cause as well.

As far as the practice facility.... that'd be the dessert or "icing on the cake" to put the school over top another instead of the main course or reason for a recruit to pick a school.

If you line up 2 schools that are similar in winning tradition, making the tourney year in and year out, constantly in the running for conference titles, and willing play you as a freshmen a lot.... then the BDC might be a reason you choose a school over another.

For MBB... I'd be willing to bet, if you take out the last 10 years (dating back to the Dagger season).... and replace those 10 years with similar seasons that our WBB team has had the last 10 seasons..... you would see a DRASTIC difference in recruiting for MBB (and not for the better). 1 NCAA appearance, 0 Conference titles (regular season or tourney titles) and several 1st round exits in the WNIT is not going to draw recruits in here, even if you have a good Practice facility.