Opening Game - VCU vs. Norfolk State

Discussion in 'VCU Womens Basketball' started by iLove VCU, Nov 12, 2017.

1. bballfanatic91

bballfanatic91 Recruit

Let's not ignore the fact, that outside of Bria Gibson and Jailyn Maddox (but we could easily include her) none of these girls had any real game experience. Yeah they played exhibition games in Africa and even two scrimmages, but nothing can actually prepare you for your first college basketball game and at home at that. So not only were they playing in their first official game, they are also still learning to play together as a unit. And there were a lot of bright spots throughout the game, now its a matter of taking those bright spots and turning them from possessions to quarters, quarters to halves and from halves to the whole game. I believe that this past year, despite losing out on Chloe, we had a strong recruiting class and once we are at full strength (roster wise), we will see a completely different team than we saw against Norfolk St. Give this team a chance before you start condemning both them and the coaching staff. Every program has their issues, its more about how you handle those issues. Its a long season, lets give this YOUNG VCU team a chance to mature and adjust before we start writing them off.

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  2. RAMification

RAMification Legend

Slow down Rowdy. Obviously no one is saying we lost because of the BDC. That would be a ludicrous statement at best. We all know what the real problem is. That said, it is accurate in my mine to acknowledge that the current regime has not made particularly good use of the BDC as a recruiting tool.

3. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

read the last response I had to VaHills.....

#18 RowdyPkunk, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:15 PM
  4. bballfanatic91

bballfanatic91 Recruit

I don't agreement with that statement, this past year VCU was able to sign 5 players and two of them local (Sydnei Archie and Taya Robinson), both held Scholarship offers from teams in the SEC and ACC. Both players stated that the new practice facility definitely played a part in their decision along with VCU's medical capabilities

5. RAMification

RAMification Legend

It's immaterial to me as to whether or not you agree with my statement. Looking at the total picture, in terms of recruiting, since the current regime has been here I stand by my statement. Sydnei and Taya are going to be nice players for the Rams. They were local, which I like, and had great familiarity with VCU. Again, take a look at the big picture and form your own opinion.

I've already stated the BDC has little to do with the state of the program. Could it be used better? Yes. But that's a small part of the problem in my opinion.

6. RAMification

RAMification Legend

I read the response and largely agree with it. That said, you were making it sound like a few of us were blaming the BDC. We all know the thrust of the problem and it has little to do with the BDC. I'm going to leave it at that.

7. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

What do you mean it could be used better? Just out of curiosity? Cause I fail to see what you are getting at about the BDC not being used well enough as a recruiting tool..... please explain

8. RAMification

RAMification Legend

From my perspective the "right" coach could utilize that amazing facility to recruit overall at a higher level than we have and retain players better. We have recruited some nice players but overall need to recruit at a higher level and very importantly retain them.

Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into the equation for a successful program. The BDC is just one, but yes I do believe it could be used better. There are successful programs that would kill to have the SC and the BDC.

Hope this helps. This is the last I will say with respect to this topic. Moving on!

9. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Still don't understand.... didn't really clear anything up. but ok.