OTT: RIP Wes Unseld

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Wes was a great player and most likely he and Adrian Dantley (no offense to Barkley fans) were the best of the best in the post for guys who while tall (relative to most people) weren't Giants by basketball standards.

The irony of his career was he played his best with Elvin Hayes the guy he beat out for a controversial Rookie of the Year win.

Man he knew how to set a pick, block out, and throw an outlet pass.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Wes was a great layer and most likely he and Adrian Dantley (no offense to Barkley fans) were the best of the best in the post for guys who while tall weren't Giants.

The irony of his career was he played his best with Elvin Hayes the guy he beat out for controversial Rookie of the Year win.

Man he knew how to set a pick, block out, and throw an outlet pass.

David Aldridge's article and this paragraph sum up my "old man on the porch feelings" about the role of the big man in today's game..

He was the greatest player in the history of the Bullets/Wizards franchise. And when I think of today’s NBA, I think about men like Wes, who gave the game so much and upon whose shoulders today’s players and coaches and executives stand. And it angers me that someone like Wes would have likely struggled to find a champion among today’s decision-makers. He didn’t score much. He didn’t shoot the ball especially well. But he could, and did, dominate games. The NBA was built on the play of big men like him. And those big men, today, don’t seem to be viewed as having much to offer, on the court or in the front office.

Jan 16, 2020
And just think, if Bobby Dandridge had come along just a couple years later, he might have been a Ram. A late bloomer, he wasn't heavily recruited out of Maggie Walker High. It took Bobby a while to grow into his ship-sized sneakers ... his high school nickname was "Bismarck" due to his big feet.