Pep Band

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by Gopher+RamFan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

I remember that.... and it sucks that they don't play it every once in a while, but I do understand why.... especially knowing how all the rowdy rams would likely be quick to flip the bird & say "f*** you" to the opposing fans. Which they back then.

RamStrut likes this.
  2. Mistachill

Mistachill Legend

Probably a good idea out of respect for the new leader.

3. Bass Clarinet Peppa

Bass Clarinet Peppa Recruit

In terms of the band play the Hey Song, 400 Degrees, and War when we're down: Duane has a headset where athletics or whomever tells him when to play and in the case of the Hey Song, there's that point in the second half when we have to coordinate with the dance team and cheerleaders. I'm not sure how he picks the songs but there's some kind of reason for them.

And even though we've had the Cee Lo Green song in our binders for a while, we haven't played it in the four years I've been here.

Ram14, RowdyPkunk and RamStrut like this.
  4. RamStrut

RamStrut Hall of Famer

Thank you for the input. That makes sense. You guys are unbelievable and such a huge part of the atmosphere. Cee Lo probably doesn't get played because it turned ugly against GMU with the whole student section yelling "F you" and flicking off the GMU bench.

MobileMunchies and RowdyPkunk like this.
  5. VCU94MCV98

VCU94MCV98 Hall of Famer

You say that like it's a bad thing....:twisted:

6. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

That and VCU has been trying to be more "politically correct" I guess you could say.... back when they used to play that.... not only did everyone give people the bird & say "F*** You"... but also during intros people used to do the "You Suck..... Balls" with the hand gesture..... as well as the fans all chanting "Bull $#!t" in unison after a "bad call" by the refs.

Since moving to the A10... we've moved away from pretty much all of that. Plus I suspect someone in the AD prob asked them not to play it anymore.

RamStrut likes this.
  7. VCUPepBandRules

VCUPepBandRules All-Star

F-You may be in the books, but Athletics has banned us from playing that song. The song was introduced during the 10-11 season and we actually played it several times starting in the fall, but it wasn't until February 15th 2011 that the student body figured out what we were playing and sang it loudly to mason. The Athletic Department likely would have let Ryan's contract expire (since they don't seem to fire people, just not renew their contracts) had we not had that magical trip to the Final Four...

...as for Rock and Roll Part II it's basically scripted that in the second half the first time out called (usually before the under 12 media timeout) extends to a full time out and that's when Athletics likes us to play that song. Been like that for years...

RamStrut likes this.
  8. VCU74

VCU74 Starter

So... maybe Athletics could figure out whether or not to change that up... depending on the circumstances:) I figure you guys could adapt to playing whatever whenever!

9. BigE

BigE Legend

10. BigE

BigE Legend

11. BigE

BigE Legend

12. BigE

BigE Legend

VCUBeatsduke likes this.
  13. BigE

BigE Legend