Pep Band

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I say at this point we should replace the band with a DJ, and the solid gold dancers with one of these

Please don’t involve my comments in your violent revenge fantasies, that comic is neither funny nor appropriate.

Feb 14, 2011
To add to DB's great post above...at the time when Ryan took over as director (I believe early - mid 90's??) there were many long time fans that weren't too thrilled with the vibe he brought. I guess it's human nature for folks not to accept change all that quickly.

Regarding directors like Doc Nix & Ryan; what they bring is leadership to the band members. The musicians feed off their leaders energy, the student section feeds off the band, the fans feed off the band and student's energy. the players feed off all that energy. This is exactly why the "stu is a tough place to play" These kind of guys and girls "get it". A couple years ago JMU fired their high energy pep band director mainly for the reason that the "old school fans" (large money donors) didn't like the energy and antics of the band, one Admin. even said "they are too loud" and cut the number of members allowed to play at a game and they don't play at halftime. JMU's AD and some fans (the few they do have) "didn't get it" Chad is now at VT and JMU has a former HS director who runs a very vanilla "show". So you go to a game and watch "slow" basketball and an atmosphere that is better suited to reading a book if you choose not to watch the VA Lottery garbage.

We've had is so good over the years and today, many don't realize how good we still have it.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Seriously have not seen any video evidence of approval or have heard of any new Drops. I can hardly judge and I hope when tomorrow comes around, a National holiday, I will see a lot of the band around Columbia on my Youtube!

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Dec 2, 2012
Here's one thing I'd love to see happen that really has never caught on.

VCU having a song with lyrics we could all sing.

I think it would be great if we all had a song that we could start to sing, say when we go take over another teams gym.

I think it would really be a great way to announce we were in the house.

We could have it it a prearranged time, like say the second time the opposing team shoot free throws in each half.

Mason does this kind of thing with "Living on a Prayer". Or, if you follow the EPL, when Liverpool fans sing "You'll never walk alone".

Sing a longs are fun.

Having a song with actual lyrics is better than when we sing along with 400 Degrees because we could all start and end at the same time.
The Hey song does not have enough lyrics, plus so many teams use it.
It can't be too new a song because the idea is that people should know the lyrics.
Does anyone have any feeling on having everyone learn the lyrics to "You don't want to go to war"?

Anyway, what are some good sing along songs for this kind of thing?

Does anyone have any nominations for the song?

Reactions: Beirne

TTL PKG

Top Member
Apr 2, 2012
To add to DB's great post above...at the time when Ryan took over as director (I believe early - mid 90's??) there were many long time fans that weren't too thrilled with the vibe he brought. I guess it's human nature for folks not to accept change all that quickly.

Regarding directors like Doc Nix & Ryan; what they bring is leadership to the band members. The musicians feed off their leaders energy, the student section feeds off the band, the fans feed off the band and student's energy. the players feed off all that energy. This is exactly why the "stu is a tough place to play" These kind of guys and girls "get it". A couple years ago JMU fired their high energy pep band director mainly for the reason that the "old school fans" (large money donors) didn't like the energy and antics of the band, one Admin. even said "they are too loud" and cut the number of members allowed to play at a game and they don't play at halftime. JMU's AD and some fans (the few they do have) "didn't get it" Chad is now at VT and JMU has a former HS director who runs a very vanilla "show". So you go to a game and watch "slow" basketball and an atmosphere that is better suited to reading a book if you choose not to watch the VA Lottery garbage.

We've had is so good over the years and today, many don't realize how good we still have it.

You are exactly correct about Chad and JMU. Chad and I didnt always see eye to eye but we were rivals. We both wanted the top spot. In many different ways each of the bands you mentioned were the top spot for their own reasons. Despite our differences, Chad LOVED that band with all of his heart. It was a real shame they let him go. Good people always find a landing spot and VT is his. Wait what does that say about....... ehhhh nevermind. Chads replacement does what shes told when shes told. Shes a super nice person but a complete 180.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Doing what you you are told , is that a bad thing for an Employee? The music program at JMU is strong and it didn’t get that way by totally restricting creativity and artistic interpretation, but it also does ha e expectations of professionalism and subordination. I am sure she will do well there

Reactions: connell

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
You are exactly correct about Chad and JMU. Chad and I didnt always see eye to eye but we were rivals. We both wanted the top spot. In many different ways each of the bands you mentioned were the top spot for their own reasons. Despite our differences, Chad LOVED that band with all of his heart. It was a real shame they let him go. Good people always find a landing spot and VT is his. Wait what does that say about....... ehhhh nevermind. Chads replacement does what shes told when shes told. Shes a super nice person but a complete 180.
Any plans for another RamNation TBT Tournament Band this summer?

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Here's one thing I'd love to see happen that really has never caught on.

VCU having a song with lyrics we could all sing.

I think it would be great if we all had a song that we could start to sing, say when we go take over another teams gym.

I think it would really be a great way to announce we were in the house.

We could have it it a prearranged time, like say the second time the opposing team shoot free throws in each half.

Mason does this kind of thing with "Living on a Prayer". Or, if you follow the EPL, when Liverpool fans sing "You'll never walk alone".

Sing a longs are fun.

Having a song with actual lyrics is better than when we sing along with 400 Degrees because we could all start and end at the same time.
The Hey song does not have enough lyrics, plus so many teams use it.
It can't be too new a song because the idea is that people should know the lyrics.
Does anyone have any feeling on having everyone learn the lyrics to "You don't want to go to war"?

Anyway, what are some good sing along songs for this kind of thing?

Does anyone have any nominations for the song?

I can remember singing the words to the current song
"Hail to the team who bears the torch, who carries our colors true ...

deadpoet

Top Member
Feb 11, 2010
I've stolen the Harvard fight song and incorporated VCU into it. It is very catchy and tells everyone exactly who the VCU students are!

Fight fiercely, VCU
fight, fight, fight!
Demonstrate to them our skill
Albeit they possess the might
Nonetheless we have the will
How we shall celebrate our victory
We shall invite the whole team up for tea
(How jolly!)
Hurl that spheroid down the [court], and
Fight, fight, fight!
Fight fiercely, VCU
fight, fight, fight!
Impress them with our prowess, do!
Oh, fellows, do not let the black and gold down
Be of stout heart and true
Come on, chaps, fight for VCU's glorious name
Won't it be peachy if we win the game?

Dec 2, 2012
I've stolen the Harvard fight song and incorporated VCU into it. It is very catchy and tells everyone exactly who the VCU students are!

Fight fiercely, VCU
fight, fight, fight!
Demonstrate to them our skill
Albeit they possess the might
Nonetheless we have the will
How we shall celebrate our victory
We shall invite the whole team up for tea
(How jolly!)
Hurl that spheroid down the [court], and
Fight, fight, fight!
Fight fiercely, VCU
fight, fight, fight!
Impress them with our prowess, do!
Oh, fellows, do not let the black and gold down
Be of stout heart and true
Come on, chaps, fight for VCU's glorious name
Won't it be peachy if we win the game?
Thanks, but I'd rather have a pop song we sing than just change the lyrics to another schools song.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I agree. It was my Witzelsucht acting up.
Had to look it up, but the symptoms apparently apply to a number of persons regularly posting on these boards. Including yours truly.

Witzelsucht (German: [ˈvɪtsl̩ˌzʊxt] "joking addiction") is a set of pure and rare neurological symptoms characterized by a tendency to make puns, or tell inappropriate jokes or pointless stories in socially inappropriate situations. It makes one unable to read sarcasm. A less common symptom is hypersexuality, the tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations. Patients do not understand that their behavior is abnormal, therefore are nonresponsive to others' reactions. This disorder is most commonly seen in patients with frontal lobe damage, particularly right frontal lobe tumors or trauma. The disorder remains named in accordance with its reviewed definition by German neurologist Hermann Oppenheim; its first description as the less focused moria [pl] (pathologic giddiness or lunatic mood)[1] by German neurologist Moritz Jastrowit

Reactions: RamBo