Pep Band

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
That no one ever sings, sounds totally generic.
I bet if I went to Baja bean and offered free shots for anyone who could sing to, I'd get no takers.
But I bet half the people there could sing "Sweet Caroline" , two or three Lady Gaga songs, ect ect. Just saying we need a better, catchier, more memorable song.
It is pretty lame, but it is what we have at this point. The Student Rams Club held a contest to write the words sometime around 1978-79 as I recall. Folks sung is for a bit and then after the mid '80's there wasn't much to sing about for a while and it was largely forgotten. Perhaps an entirely new fight song will be written as to music and lyrics one day.

Feb 14, 2011
It is pretty lame, but it is what we have at this point. The Student Rams Club held a contest to write the words sometime around 1978-79 as I recall. Folks sung is for a bit and then after the mid '80's there wasn't much to sing about for a while and it was largely forgotten. Perhaps an entirely new fight song will be written as to music and lyrics one day.
First day as a Freshman at JMU you are given a tee shirt with the fight song lyrics written on the front, up side down. They "practice" it at the freshmen pep rally prior to the first football game. The students, fans and alumni do sing the fight song at football games. It's instilled as part of the "culture"

Oh, and it's played a lot, after every TD. At basketball games, not so much but still sung when played.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
First day as a Freshman at JMU you are given a tee shirt with the fight song lyrics written on the front, up side down. They "practice" it at the freshmen pep rally prior to the first football game. The students, fans and alumni do sing the fight song at football games. It's instilled as part of the "culture"

Oh, and it's played a lot, after every TD. At basketball games, not so much but still sung when played.
They play a lot of "Funeral for a Friend" by Elton John at JMU basketball games.

Dec 2, 2012
Serious question for anyone who know how bands work:
Does the Pep band pay Royalties in some fashion?
Does VCU have to secure the rights to songs they play?
If The Peppas plays one song a lot, does that mean more money for the writer of the song?

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
If The Peppas plays one song a lot, does that mean more money for the writer of the song?
The only time I'm aware of us having to pay any royalties is for the songs we perform is when we create the CD's as that is a revenue generator (all though not much of one). The other stuff goes into a grey area where if an artist doesn't want us to play a song they can ask us not to, much like how tribute and cover bands work...

Apr 19, 2009
Technically, anything that is arranged (pep band, marching band, vocal group etc) must have purchased the arrangement license from the original publisher or rights holder. This is a MAJOR issue in the HS and College band world. Rights to arrange one song can be upwards of $400+, often pricing groups out of performing popular music.

In addition, any music that will be recorded must have a sync license as well. As one poster mentioned, this gets into a bit of a grey area. Does playing on TV and radio at a basketball game qualify? Who knows....

Now, I know for a fact there are more High Schools and other institutions that don’t get proper licensing than those that do. It requires a lot of money, but it is the law.

In the end, it’s about acknowledging the artists for their work. In my experience, most artists are pretty cool to work with and appreciate more exposure for their music. Most bands use the third party licensing manager Tresona Music or a private lawyer. I, however, have no knowledge of how VCU handles this.