Player turnover and culture

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I believe that a man making almost 1 million per year should be held at a higher standard. When player can be cut and forced to transfer if they don't perform is extreme. Putting pressure on kids like this and not putting in time to develop them and build a team is selfish. I'm about winning and Team culture is more important than getting the most NCAA tournament appearances as a half as team. Especially, when we are not getting them. So, when people say I'm a troll or not a fan they can eat sh24t. It's about accountability and it starts at the top.
So you care about winning but not going to the NCAA tournament?

tou·ché tou·ché you're right. But, my point. There is a reason people get fired when the stakes are high, SEC is no joke. Alabama or Texas. SEC or BIG12. 5 years or 6 years. This is A10. 5 years now and we are in decline. Now we are talking salary and not about achievements. Do you want to pull a 6 year A Grant and then fire the guy? Not in the same league. A grant is above MR. Sorry.

Maybe that is what we are doing? Check back in with us in 2025 to see if it worked out.
2025? Holy S$%t. You're really are drinking the Koolaid. To think that MR can inspire a team or get better has not been proven will not happen. I can't even take a [email protected] and listen to his Bullalo Wild Wings podcast. It sucks. An influx of transfers in and out is not the formula or the blueprint. And to say that things have changed leaves VCU like you holding the bag. Mid major or not. VCU has a reputation. Give me a break.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
2025? Holy S$%t. You're really are drinking the Koolaid. To think that MR can inspire a team or get better has not been proven will not happen. I can't even take a [email protected] and listen to his Bullalo Wild Wings podcast. It sucks. An influx of transfers in and out is not the formula or the blueprint. And to say that things have changed leaves VCU like you holding the bag. Mid major or not. VCU has a reputation. Give me a break.
You are the one that suggested losing for a few years not me.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
NCAA seems challenged to keep good players. VCU had the culture to develop and build a team. MRs will develop young men into animals and give them a system. Bones Hyland is not a great example. That guy was just a talent. Justin Tillman stuck around through all types of sh$t and I feel could have been coached better. But, stuck around. VCU could have done better with him but he developed. Not as good has he could have. Now he is bouncing around. I think he could have been a freak on defense after he filled out and learned to be a basketball player with IQ. You can really see how Seniors even with less athletic abilities are able to outplay much more talented sophomores. Is there some type of if you don't like it get the F out? How does MR get the right mix of recruitment and culture to keep some of these guys? It just seems that players need to play together longer to really get the chemistry down to get that slight advantage to win more. Constantly recruiting role players from the transfer pool does not seem like a good long term solution. Switching teams and systems seems like going backwards. I mean, players have breakouts. Can't some be convinced to wait for that? I think that there is the balance with basketball IQ, natural shooting ability, and athleticism. I know that that MRs is really point guard focused with havoc mentality. One, thing you can say is that the BDC develops the players if they want to do the work. We could see that with MSS. Is there something lacking on the actual culture or development on IQ? Or, is this just why the NCAA is just a stepping stone for Euro ball or G league? It was pretty obvious that Shaka made a culture and everyone around him became better. The coaches and the players. You see that with winning Teams. Then you saw people like will Wade take the Duke approach and just bribe the best players. I don't think I will ever see what Shaka did again.
OK so I’ll try to provide my response.There is a lot here and its kinda all over the place but I’ll do my best.

• I don’t think we will ever see what Shaka did
    • Yes and no because times are different now. The transfer portal is a huge factor. Don’t confuse the number entering the portal with the actual number or transfer but the number entering is significantly higher.
    • I actually believe the brotherhood is even greater under MR than SS
    • When MR was hired, I said that people would call for his job after a couple years because he needed to rebuild the foundation and that would take time. I had no idea COVID would occur and that is another major hurdle. Many successful companies didn’t survive COVID so people can chose to believe or not believe COVID had an impact.
  • Players have breakouts. Can’t some be convinced to wait for it.
    • I’ll make this quick and easy. Key Curry and Josh Banks
  • You can really see how Seniors even with less athletic abilities are able to outplay much more talented sophomores.
    • Keeping seniors becomes tricky if they have NBA aspirations. A lot of players do a prep year. /when they arrive on Campus at 19 and 20 years old, they are only a couple years from prime age for the NBA draft. 21 to 22 is the ideal age for an NBA draft prospect. You are correct on AVG senior laden teams perform well. We can look at our schedule this past year and see how we faired against some of those senior laden teams but I wouldn’t want to go to the extreme that the Bonnies did the past couple years
  • For the Record and I am a SS guy but since the FF, he is 1-7 in the NCAA

You are the one that suggested losing for a few years not me.
Nah, there is rebuilding and there is a state of constant rebuilding. And then there is Bones who the Nuggets got for a steal. I mean for nothing. Now factor in all the change for VCU to compensate. And,not able to go to NCAA twice. Now it's a straight up rebuild 1 to 5. VCU is supposed to be the smart team and team mid major killers Now we are talking 2025. Talk to me in 2025. WTF. Now all this offseason BS about so and so in the gym. Look at this dude he is getting bigger from the BDC. While we watch Mike Rhoades and staff collect state funded paychecks and we watch a dips#$t coach without the smarts who can't even win at a low level.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Nah, there is rebuilding and there is a state of constant rebuilding. And then there is Bones who the Nuggets got for a steal. I mean for nothing. Now factor in all the change for VCU to compensate. And,not able to go to NCAA twice. Now it's a straight up rebuild 1 to 5. VCU is supposed to be the smart team and team mid major killers Now we are talking 2025. Talk to me in 2025. WTF. Now all this offseason BS about so and so in the gym. Look at this dude he is getting bigger from the BDC. While we watch Mike Rhoades and staff collect state funded paychecks and we watch a dips#$t coach without the smarts who can't even win at a low level.
I just wanted you to go away for 3 years and stop doing this.

I just wanted you to go away for 3 years and stop doing this.
Just had to give my 2 cents. We need snipers and stone cold killers. We need animals on defense. Can't have both unless we are lucky. Guys who can run up and down the floor and are tough as nails. We need a coach who can Shut the F up and not be such a [email protected] Do your F232342g job!! You suck! I'm sick of this! Bless Vince and everyone else! congrats! F me and everyone. I'm out!

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Just had to give my 2 cents. We need snipers and stone cold killers. We need animals on defense. Can't have both unless we are lucky. Guys who can run up and down the floor and are tough as nails. We need a coach who can Shut the F up and not be such a [email protected] Do your F232342g job!! You suck! I'm sick of this! Bless Vince and everyone else! congrats! F me and everyone. I'm out!
Come back and see us.

rammad90

Elite Member
I believe that a man making almost 1 million per year should be held at a higher standard. When player can be cut and forced to transfer if they don't perform is extreme. Putting pressure on kids like this and not putting in time to develop them and build a team is selfish. I'm about winning and Team culture is more important than getting the most NCAA tournament appearances as a half as team. Especially, when we are not getting them. So, when people say I'm a troll or not a fan they can eat sh24t. It's about accountability and it starts at the top.
I tinbk he makes about 2 million. I have always been 100% team Mike. I do agree that Mike has to show more. However, I think the culture at VCU is much better than it has been in the past. It might not be what it was with Shaka. But it is what Shaka built.

As to rebuilding, I dont believe that we have hit a wall that we cannot get our the hump. We are and have improved. WW left the cupboards pretty bare. Yes, Mike made mistakes with Tillman, and I believe with Gilmore, as well as Bones at the end of his freshman season (Mike waited to late to move on past an injured Evans, should have shut him down and given the keys to Bones earlier). So no to rebuild. Retool maybe.

Finally, it took a while to figure out what issue(s) you were addressing. In short, Mike needs to step up, and rebuild. I agree with the first (he is not that far away), and not the 2nd.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
This thread was a one man wrecking crew of gibberish and negativity. I get that people are unhappy with Coach Rhoades. I have friends that do not think he has what it takes to take the program to the next level. I have and always will be a positive supporter of the VCU basketball program. Negativity gets you nowhere. Coaches and players see it more these days than back when VCU was struggling in the late 80s-90s.

Anyway, to this A$$'s points....Coach Rhoades is trying to build through recruiting and his last three classes have been fantastic. Yes, fantastic. Classes with Ace Baldwin, Jayden Nunn and now Fats Billups. Vince played a full four years and he was fun to watch. I have friends who will vouch for me having Plus Vince's back from Day 1. I just loved watching Vince play. He was never boring. Ha!

These last 3 seasons have been a drag and I mean they have s*cked.. COVID killed the end of one season, kept fans away the next and last year COVID and/or the guidelines kept fans away. My hope is that fans will bring positivity to this season and help our Rams win home games. I know it might not happen this season but we gotta get back to that. Coach Rhoades now has Ace running point with Nunn at a two guard and Watkins on the wing. He had to bring in transfers because that is the state of basketball these days. I am a VCU bball fan first and foremost and I want Coach Rhoades to be successful. These next two years will let us know but no need to bash him going into a season with a solid team. It does not help.

PS...By the way, Shaka was mentioned and this kind of negative sentiment was everywhere during his first three seasons and even up to the NCAA at-large announcement. The First Four to Final Four quieted those haters. Most of them just left instead of saying they were wrong. Also, Shaka talked on his Doc Sanders podcast about how the portal was not a big thing when he was at VCU so that helped him maintain his roster.

Last edited: