Player turnover and culture

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
Odd timing for a troll thread with it being days after Coach Rhodes had a second player drafted to the league.
Not odd at all. Have to throw shade at VCU in attempts to diminish the shine our program is currently experiencing after having players drafted in consecutive years. Our success makes a few opposing fan bases heads explode. This is the only way they can process it.

RAMification

Elite Member
Odd timing for a troll thread with it being days after Coach Rhodes had a second player drafted to the league.
I could not agree more. One source has us in the top 25 teams of the 21st century and another in an elite group of schools with back to back draft picks. We just inked two top 100 prospects, including one who is a big. We have a well regarded portal class with two kids being top 50/60 in high school and one being considered the second best 3-point shooter in the portal.

What amazes me the most is that so many posters have directly responded to this A$$CLOWN'S post. The initial post besides being negative is incoherent. Guy needs to take a cognitive test before posting.

PS...By the way, Shaka was mentioned and this kind of negative sentiment was everywhere during his first three seasons and even up to the NCAA at-large announcement. The First Four to Final Four quieted those haters. Most of them just left instead of saying they were wrong. Also, Shaka talked on his Doc Sanders podcast about how the portal was not a big thing when he was at VCU so that helped him maintain his roster.
Not to debate over time lines but first two years I believe. His first year was the CBI year we loss the heartbreaker in the semis after leading odu. Second year was the final four. So by his third year no one would have been questioning his ability right after the final four especially since we we ended up like the CAA 2 seed because if playing Drexel on the road in our only match up which gave them the 1 but then we got our home game in the final which we won. Given they have similar win percentages. Obviously Shaka had NCAA wins though.

rammad90

Elite Member
I could not agree more. One source has us in the top 25 teams of the 21st century and another in an elite group of schools with back to back draft picks. We just inked two top 100 prospects, including one who is a big. We have a well regarded portal class with two kids being top 50/60 in high school and one being considered the second best 3-point shooter in the portal.

What amazes me the most is that so many posters have directly responded to this A$$CLOWN'S post. The initial post besides being negative is incoherent. Guy needs to take a cognitive test before posting.
There is always room for improvement. We have had a good week with Vince being drafted. However, very good top 25 -30 programs dont get all moist due to having a guy drafted in the 2nd Round.

As to Bones, let's all be clear that kid was a top 80 recruit coming off a bad knee. If healthy he clearly is in the top 40 and most likely we dont land him. Bones was a perfect storm and even hurt he goes to St. Joes if not for the ouster of Martelli. Bones was other worldly he was an NBA type guy before he came here. Yes, we helped but any school could have done for him what we did. He was and is that talented.

Now back to the persons rambling, yes the poster rambled. However, there is merit to the message once Prock helped them clear up their issue.
To be fair, Mike makes a lot of money and our conference isnt so tough can excuse mediocre performances. Mike's been here 5 years. 2 NCAA appearances, 2 no post season, 1 NIT with a 2nd round loss to a mediocre Wake team.

As you state, Mikes had the players heck two of them on the same team are considered worthy of next level consideration. But he also has been 9-9 and 8-10 in the A10. He's really only had 1 dominant season.

Now compare him to Capel,(better in conference percentage and a tougher hill to climb) A Grant, SS, WW (just on wins, the guy was a horrible human), right now Mike's'5th in the group and it aint close.

So yes, the poster can gripe and while I dont agree with everything they posted, or think its as bad as stated. The truth I we dont pay 2 minion for mediocrity.

Now let's all hope as I do things change and we do get back to our years of dominance. I for one am all in and believe in Mike.

NCAA seems challenged to keep good players. VCU had the culture to develop and build a team. MRs will develop young men into animals and give them a system. Bones Hyland is not a great example. That guy was just a talent. Justin Tillman stuck around through all types of sh$t and I feel could have been coached better. But, stuck around. VCU could have done better with him but he developed. Not as good has he could have. Now he is bouncing around. I think he could have been a freak on defense after he filled out and learned to be a basketball player with IQ. You can really see how Seniors even with less athletic abilities are able to outplay much more talented sophomores. Is there some type of if you don't like it get the F out? How does MR get the right mix of recruitment and culture to keep some of these guys? It just seems that players need to play together longer to really get the chemistry down to get that slight advantage to win more. Constantly recruiting role players from the transfer pool does not seem like a good long term solution. Switching teams and systems seems like going backwards. I mean, players have breakouts. Can't some be convinced to wait for that? I think that there is the balance with basketball IQ, natural shooting ability, and athleticism. I know that that MRs is really point guard focused with havoc mentality. One, thing you can say is that the BDC develops the players if they want to do the work. We could see that with MSS. Is there something lacking on the actual culture or development on IQ? Or, is this just why the NCAA is just a stepping stone for Euro ball or G league? It was pretty obvious that Shaka made a culture and everyone around him became better. The coaches and the players. You see that with winning Teams. Then you saw people like will Wade take the Duke approach and just bribe the best players. I don't think I will ever see what Shaka did again.
The flaw in your concept is that you cannot control 18-22 yr old kids.
If they are good enough to play D1 they BELIEVE they can be NBA players or at least euro players.
If they get the impression that they are not moving toward this goal be it realistic or not (these are kids after all) they can and will look to improve their chances elsewhere.
Ideally you could take reasonably talented players and teach them IQ/details/teamplay and enjoy success at this. Mckillop did a pretty good job of this at Davidson but he has to accept that working the portal was necessary to counter player did content. And while he did a great job at a small school, how many times did he see the Final Four ?
Now I can see some schools further down the foodchain giving this a try and it might elevate them some but elite success requires elite players.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider

I apologize for fueling the fire. I was having too much fun making him look stupid.

I’m pretty sure we see this exact same guy every summer with the same feeble trolling attempt. What a loser.

Kenneth Jones

Insider
NCAA seems challenged to keep good players. VCU had the culture to develop and build a team. MRs will develop young men into animals and give them a system. Bones Hyland is not a great example. That guy was just a talent. Justin Tillman stuck around through all types of sh$t and I feel could have been coached better. But, stuck around. VCU could have done better with him but he developed. Not as good has he could have. Now he is bouncing around. I think he could have been a freak on defense after he filled out and learned to be a basketball player with IQ. You can really see how Seniors even with less athletic abilities are able to outplay much more talented sophomores. Is there some type of if you don't like it get the F out? How does MR get the right mix of recruitment and culture to keep some of these guys? It just seems that players need to play together longer to really get the chemistry down to get that slight advantage to win more. Constantly recruiting role players from the transfer pool does not seem like a good long term solution. Switching teams and systems seems like going backwards. I mean, players have breakouts. Can't some be convinced to wait for that? I think that there is the balance with basketball IQ, natural shooting ability, and athleticism. I know that that MRs is really point guard focused with havoc mentality. One, thing you can say is that the BDC develops the players if they want to do the work. We could see that with MSS. Is there something lacking on the actual culture or development on IQ? Or, is this just why the NCAA is just a stepping stone for Euro ball or G league? It was pretty obvious that Shaka made a culture and everyone around him became better. The coaches and the players. You see that with winning Teams. Then you saw people like will Wade take the Duke approach and just bribe the best players. I don't think I will ever see what Shaka did again.
I normally don't respond to these, but just read them. You are so off base with your commentary that it make No since at all. Coach Rhoades is building a program that is stable and with all the changes in the NCAA and he continues to build! And getting some of the best talent in the Country to consider VCU, and doing it the right way! You should be a fan of The University of Henrico, because! I am trying to be nice, so I won't say what I really feel about your statements and criticism of the program and its coaches.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
If I may, for all the talent we have had (or think we have had), we really do not have much to show for it. Dayton had Obie, by all accounts was headed to a final four had covid not stepped in. I do get why some posters are negative. We have had exactly one conference tournament championship and that was 7 years ago. Since we joined the conference, the Bonnies have more conference championships than we do. I get that we have had 3 coaching changes in that time period. Since MR took over we have been bested by the Bonnies, St Louis, Davidson, URI and even Richmond. In the corporate world our ROI (over the last five years) would be considered putrid. We are in the thick of it every year, I guess that's all good, but our end of the year results are not scaring anybody. Its great we are getting players to the NBA, I am all for it, but for some reason it is not translating into mega success on the court. This is not a rant against MR, tough job, I know. But something is missing and I am not smart enough to know what it is.

About Mike Roades let’s talk about Mike Roades first and foremost let’s look at his number one accomplishments and that is a recruiting Bones Highland. We know Bones is the top 10 NBA recruit if not at VCU. He is actually losing money from going to VCU because his draft stock went down. I get the injury. When bones had a talk on his high school coach’s podcast he admitted that VCU was a bad decision and he made a mistake and threw shade at VCU. Then on top VCU could not manage Covid protocols with the players when they actually made it to the tournament. Another reason Bones got screwed over. Dude bamboozled. Another issue. Hence the transfers. We saw Marcus Evans a true soldier save this program and should have taken a year off to recover the right way. The guy can still make it to the NBA. Mike Roades justified this and built his career on it. Would you want to send your son to VCU. heck no. VCU supposed to be one of the best mid majors but now VCU fans blood thirsty after being top 25. Now just looking at top 60 in a weak A10. And, so weak as to have to factor out a ODU game with a crappy out of conference schedule. I thought ODU had no class, but based on the comments I receive here VCU fans need to check them selves before they wreck themselves. Moody is over there at Richmond giddy as a school girl as his salary negotiations are getting jacked up over market value because VCU is desperate. What I can tell you is that I love Vince and you can please not mention his name when posting on this toxic thread. Finally, a note to the online bullies. This is the internet and you can say what you want, but darn. I hope you don’t have kids and I hope they don’t grow up like you.

I normally don't respond to these, but just read them. You are so off base with your commentary that it make No since at all. Coach Rhoades is building a program that is stable and with all the changes in the NCAA and he continues to build! And getting some of the best talent in the Country to consider VCU, and doing it the right way! You should be a fan of The University of Henrico, because! I am trying to be nice, so I won't say what I really feel about your statements and criticism of the program and its coaches.
Thanks for keeping it classy. Agree to disagree.