Player turnover and culture

I’m going to put this to bed right now. The best way for me to sleep is to listen to Mike Roade’s Buffalo Wild Wings podcast. Then it will remind me of the tired boring half time pep talk he gave at the NIT. I’m so sleepy thinking about it.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I’m going to put this to bed right now. The best way for me to sleep is to listen to Mike Roade’s Buffalo Wild Wings podcast. Then it will remind me of the tired boring half time pep talk he gave at the NIT. I’m so sleepy thinking about it.

The answer to your question is turnovers. It killed us last year. If we eliminate the unforced turnovers and convert more baskets in transition then we will be in the Big dance...

It's all execution.

The answer to your question is turnovers. It killed us last year. If we eliminate the unforced turnovers and convert more baskets in transition then we will be in the Big dance...

It's all execution.
I gotta go to bed dude, but what I can tell you is yes 468 turnovers in A10 play. The worst. Second in defense and 6th in assist. So, havoc on ourselves. Not great with ball movement. Good with defense. Great with transition points for opponents. Great second chance points for opponents. No coaching strategy for changing up multiple offensive strategies and adjustments. Opponents capitalizing on turnovers. Are the turnovers an issue? Yes. Is that the solution? Small ball works. But can VCU play small ball for this system to work? No. Can our coach be versatile and coordinate a team and play chess with the big boys and run a program?

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
About Mike Roades let’s talk about Mike Roades first and foremost let’s look at his number one accomplishments and that is a recruiting Bones Highland. We know Bones is the top 10 NBA recruit if not at VCU. He is actually losing money from going to VCU because his draft stock went down. I get the injury. When bones had a talk on his high school coach’s podcast he admitted that VCU was a bad decision and he made a mistake and threw shade at VCU. Then on top VCU could not manage Covid protocols with the players when they actually made it to the tournament. Another reason Bones got screwed over. Dude bamboozled. Another issue. Hence the transfers. We saw Marcus Evans a true soldier save this program and should have taken a year off to recover the right way. The guy can still make it to the NBA. Mike Roades justified this and built his career on it. Would you want to send your son to VCU. heck no. VCU supposed to be one of the best mid majors but now VCU fans blood thirsty after being top 25. Now just looking at top 60 in a weak A10. And, so weak as to have to factor out a ODU game with a crappy out of conference schedule. I thought ODU had no class, but based on the comments I receive here VCU fans need to check them selves before they wreck themselves. Moody is over there at Richmond giddy as a school girl as his salary negotiations are getting jacked up over market value because VCU is desperate. What I can tell you is that I love Vince and you can please not mention his name when posting on this toxic thread. Finally, a note to the online bullies. This is the internet and you can say what you want, but darn. I hope you don’t have kids and I hope they don’t grow up like you.
You started off by misspelling Bones' name and and you got more wrong from there. Everything you said about himw as wrong. Evans too. Did you ever see either one of them play other than the games against odu?

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I gotta go to bed dude, but what I can tell you is yes 468 turnovers in A10 play. The worst. Second in defense and 6th in assist. So, havoc on ourselves. Not great with ball movement. Good with defense. Great with transition points for opponents. Great second chance points for opponents. No coaching strategy for changing up multiple offensive strategies and adjustments. Opponents capitalizing on turnovers. Are the turnovers an issue? Yes. Is that the solution? Small ball works. But can VCU play small ball for this system to work? No. Can our coach be versatile and coordinate a team and play chess with the big boys and run a program?
Here's a couple other areas:

1. Off-season Injury prevention:
Evans (2 Achilles heels), MacAllister (2 knees), Jahmir Watkins (knee) , Ace Baldwin( achilles)

2. Transfer Portal Recruitment
Levi Stockard, Tsohonis, Brendan Medley Bacon we need to do a better job of finding players who fit our style of play.

I think we may have finally accomplished number 2.

As to your other points, player retention, every college in the ncaa lost an average of 4 players to the portal. Culture, every player states comaderie and chemistry between the staff and players is the drawing. The players leave looking for more playing time which is standard amongst players. In Game adjustments, Rhoades stated his philosophy is the coach prepares during the week and let the players control the game has been a critical factor in drawing guards like bones, Evans, Nunn, Watkins and others to vcu. Players develop basketball acumen by playing thru their mistakes.

If I may, for all the talent we have had (or think we have had), we really do not have much to show for it. Dayton had Obie, by all accounts was headed to a final four had covid not stepped in. I do get why some posters are negative. We have had exactly one conference tournament championship and that was 7 years ago. Since we joined the conference, the Bonnies have more conference championships than we do. I get that we have had 3 coaching changes in that time period. Since MR took over we have been bested by the Bonnies, St Louis, Davidson, URI and even Richmond. In the corporate world our ROI (over the last five years) would be considered putrid. We are in the thick of it every year, I guess that's all good, but our end of the year results are not scaring anybody. Its great we are getting players to the NBA, I am all for it, but for some reason it is not translating into mega success on the court. This is not a rant against MR, tough job, I know. But something is missing and I am not smart enough to know what it is.

This. 100% this. I feel we make too many excuse tbh. Everytime something doesn’t go our way there are some who find some excuses. When we got butt kicked by Dayton at home this year there were still posters blaming the refs. Like really? Did the refs make us pass the ball to the other team 3 second before half time for a in your face lay up? Listen we understand there’s down years. That’s everyone. Even Duke has them. But there’s something to be said about when you have basketball resources equal to or better than some major programs and it doesn’t completely translate on the court. 1 conference championship and a few reg season titles(one of which was a tie.). You could argue we punched above our weight more in the past than we now with the many more resources we have. The extremely negative posters are annoying but so are the ones that can’t take off their gold plated glasses to see when there are issues.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I am pretty sure that since joining the A10 VCU has the most conference wins of any team along with the most NCAA invitations.

I go to the old school A10 message board and this was just posted by a Dayton fan...I put VCU at the top of this list. The Rams lose Vince Williams and a couple of other starters, but Ace returns, and Rhoades added the best overall recruiting class with two 4 star HS players. VCU recruits at the top of the A10 and has a winning culture, so I never count them out.

Most A10 fans simply know that VCU is going to be near the top and it will continue to be that way. We gotta support the team at home to ensure VCU maximizes home court advantage.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
About Mike Roades let’s talk about Mike Roades first and foremost let’s look at his number one accomplishments and that is a recruiting Bones Highland. We know Bones is the top 10 NBA recruit if not at VCU. He is actually losing money from going to VCU because his draft stock went down. I get the injury. When bones had a talk on his high school coach’s podcast he admitted that VCU was a bad decision and he made a mistake and threw shade at VCU. Then on top VCU could not manage Covid protocols with the players when they actually made it to the tournament. Another reason Bones got screwed over. Dude bamboozled. Another issue. Hence the transfers. We saw Marcus Evans a true soldier save this program and should have taken a year off to recover the right way. The guy can still make it to the NBA. Mike Roades justified this and built his career on it. Would you want to send your son to VCU. heck no. VCU supposed to be one of the best mid majors but now VCU fans blood thirsty after being top 25. Now just looking at top 60 in a weak A10. And, so weak as to have to factor out a ODU game with a crappy out of conference schedule. I thought ODU had no class, but based on the comments I receive here VCU fans need to check them selves before they wreck themselves. Moody is over there at Richmond giddy as a school girl as his salary negotiations are getting jacked up over market value because VCU is desperate. What I can tell you is that I love Vince and you can please not mention his name when posting on this toxic thread. Finally, a note to the online bullies. This is the internet and you can say what you want, but darn. I hope you don’t have kids and I hope they don’t grow up like you.
You can't even spell the man's name right.... GTFO here Troll.... if you were really a VCU fan you'd know how to spell a player's name.

I am pretty sure that since joining the A10 VCU has the most conference wins of any team along with the most NCAA invitations.

I go to the old school A10 message board and this was just posted by a Dayton fan...I put VCU at the top of this list. The Rams lose Vince Williams and a couple of other starters, but Ace returns, and Rhoades added the best overall recruiting class with two 4 star HS players. VCU recruits at the top of the A10 and has a winning culture, so I never count them out.

Most A10 fans simply know that VCU is going to be near the top and it will continue to be that way. We gotta support the team at home to ensure VCU maximizes home court advantage.

So this is looking at this objectively. Yes we may have the the most wins and most tourneys invites. But has that translated to championships? Have those tourney invites translated into much? Both would be not really. We haven’t reached the second weekend and we’ve dropped some bad first round games. I mean by default with the best resources and pumping money into the program above pretty much everyone besides Dayton we should be at the top of the A10 most of the time. If there’s a time where we drop off for a few years there should be questions asked. That’s alittle bit where we are. We’ve had down years and we’ve had some up years that ended in unfortunate circumstances where we don’t know what might have happened. The idea is that we’re along with Dayton the class of the A10. That’s not as clear these days atleast on the court. Off the court 100%. But we don’t judge by off the court. We judge by on it mainly. We can recruit great, we can send players to the NBA, we can put up billboards over 95, etc. End of the day thats great but it doesn’t bring people. Winning does. Championships do. NCAA runs do. People are not coming to games simply because Bones went here. They come to be entertained.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
So this is looking at this objectively. Yes we may have the the most wins and most tourneys invites. But has that translated to championships? Have those tourney invites translated into much? Both would be not really. We haven’t reached the second weekend and we’ve dropped some bad first round games. I mean by default with the best resources and pumping money into the program above pretty much everyone besides Dayton we should be at the top of the A10 most of the time. If there’s a time where we drop off for a few years there should be questions asked. That’s alittle bit where we are. We’ve had down years and we’ve had some up years that ended in unfortunate circumstances where we don’t know what might have happened. The idea is that we’re along with Dayton the class of the A10. That’s not as clear these days atleast on the court. Off the court 100%. But we don’t judge by off the court. We judge by on it mainly. We can recruit great, we can send players to the NBA, we can put up billboards over 95, etc. End of the day thats great but it doesn’t bring people. Winning does. Championships do. NCAA runs do. People are not coming to games simply because Bones went here. They come to be entertained.
I am entertained. I always want what you want. Lots of wins and a NCAA run. VCU does win though and I think the future is bright. I read somewhere recently that VCU is one of the winningest teams in the last decade and percentage wise one of the top 20 all-time. I like this squad and I know that some of the recent seasons have been disappointing but I do not lay the entire blame on Coach Rhoades. COVID + injuries have been brutal the last three seasons.