Practice Facility, a step closer

Feb 14, 2011
A statement of interest and qualification was issued today for the new Practice facility at an estimated cost of $11 million to be completed early 2015.

The project consists of a two-story (plus basement), 38,000 GSF facility with a practice
gymnasium consisting of one main court and three (3) shooting courts. Also included
are: a small lobby, training room, a hydrotherapy area, changing/shower facilities, exam
room, locker rooms, lounges, a storage area for equipment and tables/chairs, a pantry,
a small dining area for twenty-five (25) people, ticket booths, laundry area,
administrative offices and related support facilities. The building will be situated in the
open parking area between the Stuart C. Siegel Center and the Bowe Street Parking
Deck/Sports Medicine Building. Vehicular access to the front of the building facing
Broad Street is required. The new facility is envisioned to be not only architecturally
contextual but also innovative, inviting and inspiring. It is intended to convey the sense
of excitement and energy associated with competitive intercollegiate sports. High
quality finishes and design will make this a valuable recruitment tool for Athletics.

Personaly I'm not a fan of a dedicated basketball practice facility. I would rather see the Stu remain a multi purpose gym and the practice facilty and apply the 11 million to a new baskeball/even arena.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Big Time Baby!!!!!

I share your dream about wanting a new arena, I really do...but 11 million won't even scratch the surface, we haven't filled the Stu consistently (I'm talkin' selling out for a decade straight) to warrant a new arena, plus the headache/cost/logistics of building a new arena...PLUS....talk about a questionable allocation of funds, New Arena $$$ could be used for new Baseball facilities (loooong overdue), Commons upgrade, Dorm upgrades, and god only knows what the medical campus could use.

New practice facility shows the Universities commitment to our premier sport, shows recruits that we're not a bush league destination, and gives the players (Men and Women) a place to train/study/practice/lift/etc AND opens up Franklin Street Gym for other athletes/students/etc.

just my 2 cents......thanks for the info CAAFan66

Reactions: ram4life and Ram14
Mar 27, 2009
if they are putting $11 mil to the practice facility, I sure hope they have plans to expand the STU where it stands or its a waste of a whole lot of money in 5 give or take years when we do have to expand

vcurams05

Top Member
Nov 8, 2011
Yea, I believe that one day we will play in a new arena or in a Stu that looks nothing the current model but for now the practice facility is the best route to step up our program. 11 million dollars would probably be about a 5th of the total project cost of a new state of the art arena.

Feb 14, 2011
Half-Baked, I hear ya! The reason I said I wasn't a huge fan of (but certainly not opposed) this practice facility is; I've heard a rumor that there has been discusions about replacing 'The Dump" If and when that happens, VCU may be a big part of that, basically a joint ventuire between VCU and the Richmond metro governments. The new RC would be home to VCU basketball, the largest sporting event draw in Richmond. Again this is 100% rumor. The only thing factual about this it's been mentioned within the team researching the replacement of the RC. So instead of a new RC serving the area, the VCU arena would be the Richmond Arena.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Cool...I would LOVE to see the Coliseum go bye-bye. If RVa wants to raise it's profile as a city and a destination, then a state of the art, aesthetically pleasing, mostly multi-purpose (no more Circus and animal poop...leave that to the cities in the sticks) Arena is vital. It would spur development of the entire surrounding area (if planned properly and with purpose).

That being said, I would have a few reservations about making it VCU's home court.
1)10,000+ Arena....could we fill it??? year in year out??? All the old-timers (myself included in this one) remember many an empty barn where coaches, refs, drunk pep banders :D, and other riff-raff could CLEARLY be heard amongst the vast, seemingly un-ending emptiness. I'm not sayin' VCU would drop to that level, but I've been in big places that were NOT filled to capacity (Cassel comes to mind) and it definitely affected the overall experience and atmosphere.
2)VCU would be wise to keep basketball ON CAMPUS. We need the casual fan almost as much as the die-hard to keep VCU the "Hot Ticket in Town". Until VCU basketball is Kansas-esque in it's passion an support...on campus is the way to go.

May 16, 2012
Cool...I would LOVE to see the Coliseum go bye-bye. If RVa wants to raise it's profile as a city and a destination, then a state of the art, aesthetically pleasing, mostly multi-purpose (no more Circus and animal poop...leave that to the cities in the sticks) Arena is vital. It would spur development of the entire surrounding area (if planned properly and with purpose).

That being said, I would have a few reservations about making it VCU's home court.
1)10,000+ Arena....could we fill it??? year in year out??? All the old-timers (myself included in this one) remember many an empty barn where coaches, refs, drunk pep banders :D, and other riff-raff could CLEARLY be heard amongst the vast, seemingly un-ending emptiness. I'm not sayin' VCU would drop to that level, but I've been in big places that were NOT filled to capacity (Cassel comes to mind) and it definitely affected the overall experience and atmosphere.
2)VCU would be wise to keep basketball ON CAMPUS. We need the casual fan almost as much as the die-hard to keep VCU the "Hot Ticket in Town". Until VCU basketball is Kansas-esque in it's passion an support...on campus is the way to go.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why the Siegal center was built! To be on site! To be VCU's Home court!

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
hey man...I said I have reservations and made the On Campus point:lol:

that being said...the Coliseum is a dump and it's continued existence is a blight on the City of Richmond going forward. Ted Nugent, Elton John once, and The Amazing World Of Pooping Elephants does not a "destination arena" make

I will ALWAYS miss the Bar, though

Reactions: SunBelt85

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
You can easily resolve the on campus issue if you build it on or near 2nd street and near where the Chili's is and all that. It can still be accessed from downtown and it can still be within easy walking distance of VCU's campus.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
1. We wanted and needed an on-campus facility and also needed the additional facilities we incorporated into the SC. We accomplished this and it took over 10 years to begin filling it consistently.
2. We now have one of the best home-court advantages in college basketball.
3. We can add about 500-200 seats without disturbing our footprint and be in the 8,200-8,500 range
4. We could use a city facility on occasions but I doubt we would for in conference
5.**** Richmond City has been so efficient in building a baseball stadium for a fraction of the cost of a new coliseum so I wouldn't hold my breath on that for at least 5 years. ( doesn't mean it won't happen, just highly doubt it)

The SC has helped us attract players, has great team facilities and great atmosphere. The practice facility will replace the building that was to be torn down 5 years ago until A.Grant said he wanted to keep it. I think we will see some additional seating improvements and enhancements over the next 2-3 years. Let's not trash our own home publicly for all to see including recruits. The SC is home to one of college basketball's most exciting teams and best home crowds!

Reactions: ISwamRam and umwram

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Saw Aerosmith in the RC my junior year at VCU.
Want to date the RC ( and me)--I saw Dr. J play there, saw Lionel Richie w The Embers there, saw Three Dog Night there. But the greatest thing I ever saw there was The VCU RAMS!

The RC is a dump, but the last two-three years when 11,000 VCU fans have filled it for the CAAT, it has been a beautiful thing!

Reactions: Ramfro

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Want to date the RC ( and me)--I saw Dr. J play there, saw Lionel Richie w The Embers there, saw Three Dog Night there. But the greatest thing I ever saw there was The VCU RAMS!

The RC is a dump, but the last two-three years when 11,000 VCU fans have filled it for the CAAT, it has been a beautiful thing!

How about Lionel Richie and the Commodores. I don't think Craig Woolard and the Embers ever played with Lionel Richie.